Mikhail Sergachev 9th Overall

Commandant

I'd take Provorov over Sergachev.

Not what you are supposed to say...but thanks and I haven't seen enough of either to say one way or other.

Thankfully your not an amateur or product scout for Montreal

Assume your joking eh, if Habs had 7th pick last year Provorov likely would be prime target.

I think Don may actually be closer to the truth than you think. While Provorov did produce at a higher clip, his team also put up 340 goals in his draft year to Sergachev's 253. Sergachev was involved with 23% percent of his teams goals, Provorov would have hit about 20% had he played the same 67 games.

Sergachev's production is impressive given the team's lesser output.

I'm not saying Sergachev isn't a great prospect. He is.

I just like Provorov better. He has less of the defensive lapses at this point. (good thing thats something that can be corrected), but if you force me to choose between the two, Provorov is ahead.

I just like Provorov better. He has less of the defensive lapses at this point. (good thing thats something that can be corrected), but if you force me to choose between the two, Provorov is ahead.

Was gonna ask you why, but no need now.

Sergachev is 2 years younger and playing for a weaker team. Not a good comparison at all

Sergachev is 2 years younger and playing for a weaker team. Not a good comparison at all

1 yr 5months and I think are great comparisons, unless you are focused on points or something?

Why not good comparison at same age/stage of career (draft year)?

Sergachev had to adjust to life in North America while playing his 1st year in the O.

Provorov has been here atleast 3 years now. Played hockey in the US atleast one year before playing in the WHL.

Sergachev was the best defenceman in the OHL this year, his rookie year.

Took Provorov 2 years to win it.

Provorov played on a much stronger team.

I was comparing them on the day they were drafted..... Provorov 1 year ago. vs Sergachev now.

One year ago versus now the same still holds true. Sergachev is still younger and still playing for a weaker team. LOL

Don't know if this has been asked/discussed in the other threads, but Bergevin said during his presser that the other GM dropped Weber's name on Friday the 24th before the draft and that he told him that he would get back to him after the draft.

Now, do you guys believe that the Habs would have picked a dman if this had not happened on the 24th ?

Don't know if this has been asked/discussed in the other threads, but Bergevin said during his presser that the other GM dropped Weber's name on Friday the 24th before the draft and that he told him that he would get back to him after the draft.

Now, do you guys believe that the Habs would have picked a dman if this had not happened on the 24th ?

Sergachev does not play Subban/Weber's position

Sergachev does not play Subban/Weber's position

I know. This is not the point.

My question is more like : if Bergevin heads into the draft without the knowledge that something he likes a lot might be possible to move Subban, does he pick Jost or Brown or does he stick with a dman (Sergachev) ?

Guest Stogey24

Well Bergevin said he started talks last Friday with Poile....

Sorry, I didn't see your previous post.

Edited by Stogey24

My question is more like : if Bergevin heads into the draft without the knowledge that something he likes a lot might be possible to move Subban, does he pick Jost or Brown or does he stick with a dman (Sergachev) ?

They needed a d-man badly regardless so my guess is that they still would have taken Sergachev.

I honestly think Montreal had a done deal with either Edmonton or Vancouver only if Dubois was available at those slots. If you look at MBs face at the draft table he looked really out of it and upset he was actually making that pick. I just think Sergachev was BPA on their board that also filled a need so at 9 they were going to take him regardless.

Thank God if that was the case. I think Dubois is really overrated. A lot of the Q players taken high a couple years back, Drouin, Mantha, Gauthier, Poirier, Morin, etc. have been disappointing relative to the players taken around them and how high they were drafted. This year the Q is even worse, with less than 1/3 the draft picks as the OHL. There were probably more players drafted from the USHL if you include the NTDP players. Hate for them to have spent such a premium pick on a guy like Dubois.

Just checked that, there were twice as many players taken from the USHL as from the Q. There were as many players taken from the Swedish junior league as the Q, even though probably half the Q prospects were imports to begin with. :blush:

Sergachev is huge. I think the pick factored into the Weber trade. Common wisdom is that Markov or Emelin would be a role model for Mikhail, but Weber would be perfect. They are very similar in size and style, and it's entirely feasible that Sergachev would skate alongside Weber for a few years. A lot of young defensemen in Nashville turned out very well playing with Shea.

Sergachev is huge. I think the pick factored into the Weber trade. Common wisdom is that Markov or Emelin would be a role model for Mikhail, but Weber would be perfect. They are very similar in size and style, and it's entirely feasible that Sergachev would skate alongside Weber for a few years. A lot of young defensemen in Nashville turned out very well playing with Shea.

Emelin will be gone in a couple hours... we hope anyways.

Bergevin said Poille approached him last Friday at the draft and brought up Weber's name re Subban, so I highly doubt Weber deal had anything to do with picking Sergachev. Oilers supposedly were gonna pick Sergachev at 4, which other prospect like that was still available at 9? Keller, Jost, Chychrun, Brown all unlikely a consideration as a top 4 pick.