Gauthier Fired

ForumGhost

I want to say that if MacGuire becomes GM I will stop being a Habs fan. But I can't bring myself to go that far; probably I'll either stop following them until the inevitable day when he is fired, or else watch in the fatalistic expectation that we have decisively entered Houle Years 2.0. The groundswell of fan support for this guy is the inverted mirror image of the groundswell that attacked Martin: total, abject confusion of style vs. substance.

I get really sick of the English-Canadian media ALWAYS emphasizing the PR aspect of the job. You read things like, 'Roy wouldn't be a top candidate anywhere else but he's a fit for Montreal,' or 'MacGuire would address the PR issues that are so important...etc.' There is an underlying contempt for Montreal as a pure hockey market in a lot of the comments - an assumption that nobody here really cares about excellence. Below that surface may also be an underlying contempt for francophone Quebec, which has historically been portrayed in English-Canadian discourse as passionate and irrational. Just saying.

Dont think i dislike McQuire not like Martin as much as you, but surely has to better person than McQuire to choose.

I am sick of the call for a more outgoing "press friendly" GM, Gauthier and Gainey were very reserved, as are many successful GMs, such as like Detroit's and Chicago's GMs and i could care less if he was mute. As long as he is smart/shrewd/savvy or whatever business attribute you want to use and made smart decisions, then its all good by me. One Brian Burke is already too many loudmouthed egomaniacs to have to listen to.

I don't know what to think about McGuire as GM. But I believe if he got the job, he would tone everything down. I also believe he would have shopped Halak more, and not make the desperate and dumb Kaberle trade. He also seems to be big on how to treat people. Martin had to go, but it would have been handled differently. Of course, we'll never really know, but that's the vibe I get.

He also seems to be big on how to treat people.

Consider the Michael Nylander situation. McGuire would throw his arm around the young Swede and tell him he loved him like a son. He told him they would lead the Whalers to great heights. But after a humiliating 9-2 loss in Montreal -- a humiliation that should have shared by 20 players -- McGuire embarrassed Nylander by insisting he be sent to Springfield. Then McGuire told some people, including Gordon, that four or five players were tired of Nylander not playing defense and were prepared to beat him up if he weren't demoted. There's no truth to that, Burke and Verbeek said.

Dont think i dislike McQuire not like Martin as much as you, but surely has to better person than McQuire to choose.

I am sick of the call for a more outgoing "press friendly" GM, Gauthier and Gainey were very reserved, as are many successful GMs, such as like Detroit's and Chicago's GMs and i could care less if he was mute. As long as he is smart/shrewd/savvy or whatever business attribute you want to use and made smart decisions, then its all good by me. One Brian Burke is already too many loudmouthed egomaniacs to have to listen to.

I agree with you that JM and the ghost were easy to dislike, they were very serious reserved individuals which in my mind was a big a factor in their dismissals as for any reason. they are both extremely knowlegdeable hockey people, and they didn't suddenly get stupid. Maybe we should hire philiie gagnon as coach and gm he would be very entertaining , knows nothing about hockey but he is really likeable and funny and that is what is really important. Oh and he speaks french, what more could we ask for?

Gauthier seems to have been genuinely unloved in hockey circles, outside his tiny cohort. His ridiculous treatment of Cunneyworth and Martin didn't help, nor did the bizarre mid-game trade of Cammy. I don't see any similar animus being directed at Martin, who may bore the hoi polloi but is an old-school guy with an extensive network.

MacGuire apparently left a ton of bad will behind him in Hartford. While he had two shining years as an assistant coach - and both "assistant" and "coach" are worth underlining - in Pittsburgh, his track record at the NHL level is otherwise one of dismal failure, not to mention 15 years mouldy. Nothing in his self-presentation suggests him to be a sound manager either. While John Davdison shows that you can be a successufl GM coming straight out of broadcasting, Davidson at least had a successful playing career and also comported himself quite differently from MacGuire as a broadcaster: i.e., as a diligent, calm, serious and thoughtful professional, not a one-man PR machine for himself/baying loudmouth.

MacGuire might be a good choice for an expansion team looking to up its profile. That he was passed over by St. Louis and Minny, two solid organizations who nonetheless probably would have benefitted in PR terms from His Royal Baldness, suggests that our august organization can also pass. We don't need their sloppy seconds.

I don't know what to think about McGuire as GM. But I believe if he got the job, he would tone everything down. I also believe he would have shopped Halak more, and not make the desperate and dumb Kaberle trade. He also seems to be big on how to treat people. Martin had to go, but it would have been handled differently. Of course, we'll never really know, but that's the vibe I get.

McGuire is like Cherry, he spouts off all the time whenever he sprays his opinions and only remembers the ones that were correct. This is the same guy who a few years back said that MaxPac is not a goal scorer and criticized the pick - rather then being critical of the habs for rushing a kid out of college.

I want nothing to do with McGuire and for that reason - I never EVER thought I'd say this - I don't scotty bowman to have any input in Montreal's next GM, since he reportedly endorses McGuire. McGuire has a lousy history from his days in Hartford - just as Gauthier did in Anaheim.

IMO, the best choice is Jim Nill from Detroit, but won't be holding my breath. Hell, i'd take Patrick Roy as GM before I'd even consider McGuire.

• Upvote 1

McGuire is like Cherry, he spouts off all the time whenever he sprays his opinions and only remembers the ones that were correct. This is the same guy who a few years back said that MaxPac is not a goal scorer and criticized the pick - rather then being critical of the habs for rushing a kid out of college.

I want nothing to do with McGuire and for that reason - I never EVER thought I'd say this - I don't scotty bowman to have any input in Montreal's next GM, since he reportedly endorses McGuire. McGuire has a lousy history from his days in Hartford - just as Gauthier did in Anaheim.

IMO, the best choice is Jim Nill from Detroit, but won't be holding my breath. Hell, i'd take Patrick Roy as GM before I'd even consider McGuire.

:thumbs_up:

Minnesota took Chuck Fletcher over Pierre McGuire.

Chuck Fletcher had over 10 years of assistant GM experience as well as played roles in Pittsburgh as director of operations and VP of amateur scouting.

Think about this for a second. Would you have taken Chuck Fletcher? If you say no, why the hell would you take Pierre McGuire?

I've been doing a little digging on Nill. He cannot, under any circumstances, jump ship at this time which a few on here had correctly thought to be the case. According to some, he has a clause where he could leave after the 2013-14 season while others say his non-competition clause lasts through 2015-16. The Wings quietly have denied overtures from at least two other NHL teams (believed to be Toronto and Minnesota) in past years to even interview him for their then-vacant GM positions.

Hab29, I'm in no way endorsing Pierre McGuire for the GM job. I actually don't have much of an opinion. But if he got the job, you won't find me hanging from the shower curtain rod. Sure he talks, but that's what he's paid to do, and he certainly moved up the ranks quickly. He did the same in coaching, reaching the NHL in his early 30's. As for stories about Hartford? That was along time ago. If he made a mistake, he might have learned from it. Whoever get's the job, dump Gomez and Kaberle, and I'm holding a parade for the guy.

I was watching the Canucks game last night and couldn't help but notice Maxim Lapierre flying around the ice playing on the top line with former MVP Henrik Sedin. Now I know it is just filling in for the injured Daniel, but the guy didn't look out of place one bit. And then he goes on and seals the deal with a dandy move in the shootout. The guy has size, speed, grit and the aforementioned hands. He can play center and wing, in a scoring role or in a shutdown one. Now my question is, why again did we trade him for the proverbial bag of pucks? Was it one of those "addition by subtraction" moves? He sure would of helped our team this year and also moving forward. His name is rarely brought up in bad trades this team has made and I think he is a good asset to have.

We traded him at his lowest value, a common Habs error but he was pretty much fighting with coaching all of the time. He didn't fit in Anaheim either. Actually he was worse in Anaheim than he was in Montreal. It's just Anaheim smartly traded him at the deadline where they could get a good return from the Canucks for him and Vancouver found him a role.

Lapierre had no desire to play in Montreal anymore because he believe he was a top 6 player, but he has never shown it.

Don't be so quick to judge a trade because Lapierre is suddenly playing with the leading assist man in the league.

Lapierre had no desire to play in Montreal anymore because he believe he was a top 6 player, but he has never shown it.

Don't be so quick to judge a trade because Lapierre is suddenly playing with the leading assist man in the league.

It was more so me wondering why he got traded. However, you cannot take away the fact that he is playing with the leading assist man in the league. I think that speaks volumes about his ability and adaptability, as much as a reflection about our former GM's poor asset management.

I liked Lappy's work for Vancouver in the post-season last year as a bottom six player. Same with Higgins.

I liked Lappy's work for Vancouver in the post-season last year as a bottom six player. Same with Higgins.

Yeah they both are great in an environment they want to play in, neither wanted to be in Montreal though :/

Which is to bad, I always liked both!

Apparently there were multiple occassions where Chris Higgins was plastered off his face and Carey Price was carrying the guy home from the bar or covering up for him. It seems that despite what we heard at the time Price was the responsible one in the group. I think he's gone because they decided that he wasn't a good influence to have around our 21 year old (at the time) franchise goalie.

Apparently there were multiple occassions where Chris Higgins was plastered off his face and Carey Price was carrying the guy home from the bar or covering up for him. It seems that despite what we heard at the time Price was the responsible one in the group. I think he's gone because they decided that he wasn't a good influence to have around our 21 year old (at the time) franchise goalie.

Yeah, I remember it was Komisarek, Higgins, Gorges and Price going out and partying. That group being separate from what the Kostitsyns were doing. When Higgins and Komisarek were gone and in came Gill, Gomez and Gionta, the partying stopped. Gainey blamed Koivu and Kovalev as poor leaders to the younger players.

Yeah they both are great in an environment they want to play in, neither wanted to be in Montreal though :/

Which is to bad, I always liked both!

So did I, but both are now on their 3rd or 4th team and know their nine lives are running out, same as Sergai K., Riberio and Grobovski who all got a wake up call when traded for dick-all.

When the KHL is only option left, that can be a good motivational factor in their play.

But being a Canuck fan as well, it is nice to see both playing super and they both will earn their ring this year.

So did I, but both are now on their 3rd or 4th team and know their nine lives are running out, same as Sergai K., Riberio and Grobovski who all got a wake up call when traded for dick-all.

When the KHL is only option left, that can be a good motivational factor in their play.

But being a Canuck fan as well, it is nice to see both playing super and they both will earn their ring this year.

While I liked Higgins and Lappy... SK, Rib's and Grabs never did anything for me. SK trashes Montreal all the time, Rib's always struck me as a little punk (hehe crosby-milbury reference) and Grabs I found invisible on the ice in Montreal.

While I liked Higgins and Lappy... SK, Rib's and Grabs never did anything for me. SK trashes Montreal all the time, Rib's always struck me as a little punk (hehe crosby-milbury reference) and Grabs I found invisible on the ice in Montreal.

Grabovski was a young center in an unfortunate situation. It's actually a common story in Montreal as we traded Andrew Cassels and Craig Conroy when there just wasn't top six room for them. Grabovski however was particularly impatient and complained when the team had Koivu and Plekanec in front of him. We might have been able to use him in a third line capacity in 08-09 instead of trading for Lang but the reason we went with Lang was veteran experience. Kostitsyn - Grabovski - Kostitsyn was a pipe dream and would have been a defensive nightmare.

I always liked Lapierre as an agitator and if we brought him and Latendresse back someday I wouldn't mind.

Grabovski was a young center in an unfortunate situation. It's actually a common story in Montreal as we traded Andrew Cassels and Craig Conroy when there just wasn't top six room for them. Grabovski however was particularly impatient and complained when the team had Koivu and Plekanec in front of him. We might have been able to use him in a third line capacity in 08-09 instead of trading for Lang but the reason we went with Lang was veteran experience. Kostitsyn - Grabovski - Kostitsyn was a pipe dream and would have been a defensive nightmare.

I always liked Lapierre as an agitator and if we brought him and Latendresse back someday I wouldn't mind.

LaPierre is a bottom six guy and i always liked his play, but Latendress is just a bit injury prone and has a total of 8 goals in last 2 years and like the rest was disgruntled, if i remember correctly and he would be quite low on my recall list, i would much prefer to see Andrai Kostitsyn resigned.