Back Up Goalie Next Season

tadmaxim

Just curious.

If I'm not mistaken, Peter Budaj's contract is up after this season.

Out of the free agent pool, who would you choose, if not re-signing him?

Personally, I'd like to see Mathieu Garon back.

I don't have confidence in Budaj if anything happens to Carey longer term.

He comes from more a starters background, & hasn't seemed to transition well enough to backup.

Garon has played here before, had his shot at full-time starter, & at his age,

certainly knows he's likely bound to be a backup for the rest of his run.

He came up a back-up for a longer term, as well, & knows those ropes a bit better.

Ideally, truth be told, I'd love Jean Sebatian-Giguere, but he's got another

year on his Colorado contract, I think.

I'm really sick of Colorado goalies.

Here's the full list of UFA goalies for anyone interested: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

I think the Habs will be looking for a player making $1 million or less so that might rule out a Theodore, Garon, or Fasth. Dan Ellis could be an option; I've always liked Anton Khudobin, I think he's an underrated backup, and my out of the blue pick would be Cris Nihlstorp, a 28 year old rookie out of Sweden. He has dominated in the AHL this year and has done well in Sweden in the past, I think he has some upside. He earned the backup role in Dallas out of camp but is presently in the AHL getting back into playing shape after being injured.

That all said, I certainly wouldn't rule out Budaj either.

Garon or Mason, maybe Emery. Montoya may be a good signing as a 3rd. Send him to the Dogs to work . Draft Fucale.

I don't think we should use a first round draft pick on a goalie and thats likely where Fucale is going (early 2nd at worst).

Garon or Mason, maybe Emery. Montoya may be a good signing as a 3rd. Send him to the Dogs to work . Draft Fucale.

I'm not sure we want Emery, he's pretty volatile. I'm on board with Mason, Montoya or Three-or-more. I'd prefer Theodore, but I don't think he'll settle for a backup role behind Price for the money we'll be spending on a backup. Maybe Leighton would be a good choice?

Tim Thomas?

that would make an interesting Habs-Bruins game. It would also be funny watching Price continue on a conversation with Thomas but look like he is talking to himself. :lol:

Calgary claimed Joey MacDonald off waivers from Detriot. This would mean they would probably waive Irving when kipper is ready to play again. Maybe we should pick Irving up and waiver Budaj? I know we had a shot at Irving earlier when Calgary waived both him and Karlsson, but in light of Budaj not playing up to expectations, now might be a good time?

Calgary claimed Joey MacDonald off waivers from Detriot. This would mean they would probably waive Irving when kipper is ready to play again. Maybe we should pick Irving up and waiver Budaj? I know we had a shot at Irving earlier when Calgary waived both him and Karlsson, but in light of Budaj not playing up to expectations, now might be a good time?

30 days haven't elapsed since Irving last cleared waivers meaning that he's free to be sent down without going through the waiver wire. Besides, I'd much rather have Budaj as a backup than him.

I believe Carey does not play his best when he feels his role as undisputed #1 is at all threatened.

That being said I doubt his back up will be French Canadian.

Exactly...I'm born and raised here, and have no problem saying it. No Quebecois goalies please. It just creates controversy.

I believe Carey does not play his best when he feels his role as undisputed #1 is at all threatened.

That being said I doubt his back up will be French Canadian.

Exactly...I'm born and raised here, and have no problem saying it. No Quebecois goalies please. It just creates controversy.

Same for me. I don't really want to see Raymond, Bergeron and Tremblay rant on tv and radio about a Quebecois who won his 2 last starts against Columbus and NYI to become our #1.

Just to put things in context, Bergeron said after the VERY FIRST game of Frederic St-Denis, on l'Antichambre, that : "Ok, let's be honest, everyone here agree that it is time for the Habs to send Emelin down and make a roster spot for St-Denis." Heck, St-Denis, I believe, finished this game with -1 and 4 PIMS for hooking.

Where I disagree with you guys is when you say that Carey does not play his best when he feels his role as undisputed #1 is at all threatened.

I don't buy that at all.

They could also re-waive MacDonald once Kipper is healthy and go Kipper/Irving if they want to.

poor budaj or old bald alex get no respect, you are trying to get a gold plated backup paying pennies. not going to hapen. want a 1 mill goalie you got one. he aint great, but he aint meant to be, He is a place holder till they can bring in a young goalie to spend 3 to 4 years as a back up.

Okay so Montreal needs:

- A good back-up

- Too old to become starter

- Not too good to hurt Price's confidence as the starter (though I think that's BS he simply had a bad season and didn't mesh with the goalie coach)

- Not French Canadian

- Cheap

Based on this the top targets should be Johan Hedberg and Chris Mason.

Okay so Montreal needs:

- A good back-up

- Too old to become starter

- Not too good to hurt Price's confidence as the starter (though I think that's BS he simply had a bad season and didn't mesh with the goalie coach)

- Not French Canadian

- Cheap

Based on this the top targets should be Johan Hedberg and Chris Mason.

You forgot one thing we only pay 1 to 1.5 million. are they going to play for that.?

I believe we could have got Biron for about the same money. No, I don't care that he is French. Screw the potential or should I say the inevitable controversy that Bergeron, Bertrand and the other French racists.

poor budaj or old bald alex get no respect, you are trying to get a gold plated backup paying pennies. not going to hapen. want a 1 mill goalie you got one. he aint great, but he aint meant to be, He is a place holder till they can bring in a young goalie to spend 3 to 4 years as a back up.

I believe we could have got Biron for about the same money. No, I don't care that he is French. Screw the potential or should I say the inevitable controversy that Bergeron, Bertrand and the other French racists.

Biron signed with the Rangers 35 minutes after the opening of Free Agency. He was the first UFA signing of that July 1st. His agent was waiting to talk to the Rangers right at noon that very day.

Basically he had already made up his mind, he was going to New York and didnt even listen to what other teams had to offer.