Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Montreal Canadiens | February 9th, 2016 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

Its 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Less goals for and Less goals against

or

More goals for and More goals against.

Either way, both are capable of doing the job, and both are overpaid for the job.

I trade whichever one i can and deal with the fallout afterwards. Heck if by some miracle i could deal both, i'd do it.

Yeah I guess we shouldn't be picky about who we can get rid of. Eller's just younger and a better athlete and we could probably expect more from him in a playoff series than from DD. But these are reasons why other teams would be more willing to take him. At least there's only one year left for Desharnais vs two for Eller.

Its 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Less goals for and Less goals against

or

More goals for and More goals against.

Either way, both are capable of doing the job, and both are overpaid for the job.

I trade whichever one i can and deal with the fallout afterwards. Heck if by some miracle i could deal both, i'd do it.

Dude, I know you have been watching the last 20 games or so, and Eller is by a mile the superior player in 2016.

There is no way DD can compete with Eller in that 3rd C role right now, Eller has been playing great, and is good defensively, DD is terrible in all zones.

Bottom line is Eller is useful, albeit over paid some, but DD is over paid by much more... and declining rapidly to oblivion.

Dude, I know you have been watching the last 20 games or so, and Eller is by a mile the superior player in 2016.

There is no way DD can compete with Eller in that 3rd C role right now, Eller has been playing great, and is good defensively, DD is terrible in all zones.

Bottom line is Eller is useful, albeit over paid some, but DD is over paid by much more... and declining rapidly to oblivion.

I agree with this. I think Eller has been the better player this year. Which is why we might actually be able to trade him.

Guest Stogey24

Dude, I know you have been watching the last 20 games or so, and Eller is by a mile the superior player in 2016.There is no way DD can compete with Eller in that 3rd C role right now, Eller has been playing great, and is good defensively, DD is terrible in all zones.Bottom line is Eller is useful, albeit over paid some, but DD is over paid by much more... and declining rapidly to oblivion.

Eller has definitely been better. Desharnais cannot stay on top of the puck. He either falls down or gets pushed off of it.

2 goals and 5 assists in his last 42 games. Those aren't acceptable stats for the amount of opportunities he gets.

I'd rather Eller centering our third line. Won't get as many points, but less of a defensive liability.

How about Eller buyout, and DD deadline for bag of late round picks on trade deadline day when the playoffs are out of sight.

ON that note? does anybody on this forum own a Larry Eller jersey? I'll give you a bag of pucks for it.

What? Eller's had a good run of 20 games? OMG I've never seen this before.

Thats Lars Eller for you. We should know by now not to overrate 20 games.

Eller is also playing much easier matchups right now. One of DD's biggest issues is because he's with Max, he's facing top 4 D every night, which we know he can't do.

Commandants argument is a strong one though. He is saying what we are saying. Eller looks good now because he is playing against 3rd pairing defense, not 1st pairing. When Flash and Weise were scoring, DD looked awesome against 3rd pairing defense. Neither of them look good in the top six. Trade one or the other or both. It doesn't matter

How about Eller buyout, and DD deadline for bag of late round picks on trade deadline day when the playoffs are out of sight.

ON that note? does anybody on this forum own a Larry Eller jersey? I'll give you a bag of pucks for it.

Eller buyout would last twice as long.

The possession guys seem to favour Eller.

That assumes you want the classic profile of the third line c though. Something more and more teams are abandoning.

Look around the nhl. Matchup lines have disappeared in many cases. Most teams have two way players in their first or second line handle the matchups.

Teans play their top line 18 minutes a night. Using a third line that doesnt score much to match them and also play 18 minutes isnt efficient.

Using Deharnais in any capacity isn't efficient either, he is totally ineffective every game, vs any matchup lately, and you can argue on his behalf any way you like, it doesn't make him any better on the ice. ;)

I'm fine keeping Eller in a 3rd line role.

I want DD GONE. I wanted him gone last season. I wanted him gone the season before that. Undersized soft as mush player that doesn't produce nearly enough for his one-dimensional nature, and nearly always fades in tough games when it matters most.

If he weren't our coach's pet, he would have spent long stints in the pressbox for his stretches of pathetic play over the past few seasons...on just about any team in the league. The free pass he gets is to a degree where it's baffling; my working theory is that he saved MT's life at some point, maybe pulled off a Heimlich maneuver during a team dinner, when Le Genius was choking on a chunk of steak or something.

I want DD GONE. I wanted him gone last season. I wanted him gone the season before that. Undersized soft as mush player that doesn't produce nearly enough for his one-dimensional nature, and nearly always fades in tough games when it matters most.

If he weren't our coach's pet, he would have spent long stints in the pressbox for his pathetic play over the past few seasons...on just about any team in the league. The free pass he gets is to a degree where it's baffling; my working theory is that he saved MT's life at some point, maybe pulled off a Heimlich maneuver during a team dinner, when Le Genius was choking on a chunk of steak or something.

Jeez I thought he had pictures of him with a sheep.

Guest Stogey24

If he weren't our coach's pet, he would have spent long stints in the pressbox for his stretches of pathetic play over the past few seasons...on just about any team in the league. The free pass he gets is to a degree where it's baffling; my working theory is that he saved MT's life at some point, maybe pulled off a Heimlich maneuver during a team dinner, when Le Genius was choking on a chunk of steak or something.

Couldn't have said it better.

Using Deharnais in any capacity isn't efficient either, he is totally ineffective every game, vs any matchup lately, and you can argue on his behalf any way you like, it doesn't make him any better on the ice. ;)

The only matchups he gets lately are top 4 defencemen... he's not a top 6 player, thats obvious... but he was very effective against third pairings previously and there is no reason to believe he couldn't be again.

I want both gone. I would rather Torrey Mitchell as our third line centre than Desharnais or Eller. Of course I'd want better than that, but Mitchell is a smarter defensive player than either guy with more NHL experience.

I don't think Mitchell is better than them, but I don't think he's far off either.

And thats the crux of the issue. Mitchell cost what? A 7th round pick to acquire. 1.5 million on a contract extension.

A player slightly better than Mitchell to anchor the third line shouldn't cost much.

I'm fine with both gone too, i just don't know why other teams want them.