April 19 Game #3 Montreal at Ottawa

DON

No, don't think he was 'out of it' (no concussion expert), he went after Karlsson on purpose and I think one or two other Sens in retribution for 2 clean hits he took.

I would say he was more embarrassed, lost his cool and acted like a rookie might. He had to grabbed by teammate in game 1 or 2 also and maybe is just like dad...a bit hot-headed/immature.

When he should be more like Gallagher, who has taken some big hits also, but bounces back up keeps on smiling and doing his thing.

so Beaulieu is now a hot head like his dad, and ran around like a headless chicken. But it's okay for Subban to run around after Karllson which led to the first goal??? I love generalizations.

BTW, that second hit was NOT a clean hit. Just like the stick to the head Subban took before the goal was scored was not a clean hit.

I wasn't all that thrilled with Beaulieu's play before that hit happened. He had the one brutal turnover in his own end and I remember noting that in the offensive zone, he was holding onto the puck way too long at the point before passing it off. The hit just compounded what was already a rough night for him. He can stand to have Game 4 off, injured or not. It'd be a good game for Pateryn who is a better fit in what will be a physical one for sure; Gilbert has shown he's passable on his off-side.

Beaulieu's turnover wasn't as bad as MaxPacs. but i guess Maxpac gets a free pas, since he's not a rookie.

He makes the odd hair-pulling play but he gets more grief than I think he deserves. If faced with playing Gilbert on his off side on Wednesday or Gonchar, I certainly wouldn't be upset if they moved Gilbert over (to play alongside Pateryn who would replace Beaulieu). I could see Gonchar struggling with the pace/physicality although given his play overall this year, he probably deserves a game.

I wish they were playing both Pateryn and Beaulieu rather than Gilbert. I really hope they unload Gilbert and PAP and sign Petry.

so Beaulieu is now a hot head like his dad, and ran around like a headless chicken. But it's okay for Subban to run around after Karllson which led to the first goal??? I love generalizations.

BTW, that second hit was NOT a clean hit. Just like the stick to the head Subban took before the goal was scored was not a clean hit.

Beaulieu's turnover wasn't as bad as MaxPacs. but i guess Maxpac gets a free pas, since he's not a rookie.

I wish they were playing both Pateryn and Beaulieu rather than Gilbert. I really hope they unload Gilbert and PAP and sign Petry.

I second that.

I'm no expert, as my criticism of the Weise trade - so helpfully dredged up by Machine :nuts: - illustrates. But it seems pretty clear that the basic problem with our PP is that the WHOLE strategy consists of trying to get Subban open for the one-timer. Everyone on the ice knows this. But it seems like a pretty low % approach; it all depends on PK getting a clear shot (preferably with traffic in front), and he's not going to unleash a perfect Howitzer every single time he does get that clear shot. And the opposition knows that everything depends on containing Subban. So we need to find 1-2 other plays as options. This would keep the opposition guessing, and ultimately improve the odds of PK's cannon being effective to boot.

I'm sure Therrien and his staff know this. Why they can't implement it is the question. It's as if PK's awesomeness just sucks everything towards itself - not unlike the way Pacioretty starts vacuuming up all of Desharnais's playmaking when those two are together. In a perverse way, it might be better to give Subban LESS PP time, just to create a situation where Petry, Markov, and all the rest of the unit start asserting themselves more and thinking outside that box.

There is nothing wrong with the strategy of trying to setup Subban wiht the one timer on the PP. the problem is when they don't take advantage of the extra attention the penalty killers are giving to the point men and going for a play down low. Main problem, is far too many times we end up having two Dmen and a forward at the point skating around and that Markov and Subban waste too much time passing around to each other and hesitating whether to shoot or pass.

“I decided to make some changes, to change the rhythm of Lars Eller’s line and Torrey Mitchell’s line and we like we saw,” Therrien said. “Dale Weise has scored some big goals for this team in the playoffs.”

Mitchell, who was acquired from Buffalo at the trade deadline, assisted on both goals.

“They’re experienced, character players,” Therrien said of the players who joined the Canadiens at the deadline

From the Gazette

I don't know if the pp forwards have been hit one-too-many-times because it sure looks like the Ottawa goalies are seeing all of PK's point shots (excluding the duck goal) Are the forwards steering clear of the front?

I don't know if the pp forwards have been hit one-too-many-times because it sure looks like the Ottawa goalies are seeing all of PK's point shots (excluding the duck goal) Are the forwards steering clear of the front?

This always happens with Anderson. He sees point shots better than anyone. You have to crash him and make him claustrophobic or else he looks near unbeatable.

There is nothing wrong with the strategy of trying to setup Subban wiht the one timer on the PP. the problem is when they don't take advantage of the extra attention the penalty killers are giving to the point men and going for a play down low. Main problem, is far too many times we end up having two Dmen and a forward at the point skating around and that Markov and Subban waste too much time passing around to each other and hesitating whether to shoot or pass.

I agree 100%, too much time wasted in not moving the puck fast enough, and not taking it to the net from the downlow play.

All love the cool 140kph Subban one-timer point shot, looks impressive maybe 1 of 10 times...but Subban and Habs seem to forget a 70kph wrister though traffic goes in just as often and also dosent end up back on Prices stick at other end of ice.

Geez, Habs29, if you can't see the difference between Subban/MaxPac - absolutely the team' two best position players, without whom we have little chance of a long run or even winning any given game - and Beaulieu, a guy still finding his way and learning the ropes...well, that's kind of surprising.

• Upvote 2

Guest Stogey24

Geez, Habs29, if you can't see the difference between Subban/MaxPac - absolutely the team' two best position players, without whom we have little chance of a long run or even winning any given game - and Beaulieu, a guy still finding his way and learning the ropes...well, that's kind of surprising.

He's ddefending him, as I would have too. Don seems to take a stab at Beaulieu every chance he gets. "Hot head like his dad", come on.

All love the cool 140kph Subban one-timer point shot, looks impressive maybe 1 of 10 times...but Subban and Habs seem to forget a 70kph wrister though traffic goes in just as often and also dosent end up back on Prices stick at other end of ice.

Don't forget the fear factor, the defence see PK wind up and they would like to be somewhere else. How many has he injured I wonder? Not enough. :)

He's ddefending him, as I would have too. Don seems to take a stab at Beaulieu every chance he gets. "Hot head like his dad", come on.

Yeah, I wouldn't impugn his character at this point. But I have no problem with him having a shorter leash than a Norris Trophy winner or one of the league's top snipers. Seems like a no-brainer that he would.

Maybe the team has forgotten that that's the reason they acquired Gonchar? I know he didn't help the power play tremendously during the regular season but I'm just saying he does that (throwing the puck at the net) very well. May not be worth having to play the other D more minutes if the coaching staff doesn't trust him 5 on 5 but I don't think it can be denied that we have a player who could potentially spark the PP sitting in the press box.

Guest Stogey24

Yeah, I wouldn't impugn his character at this point. But I have no problem with him having a shorter leash than a Norris Trophy winner or one of the league's top snipers. Seems like a no-brainer that he would.

Oh I agree completely. We all know or have heard Beaulieu has an ego.

Oh I agree completely. We all know or have heard Beaulieu has an ego.

I think he is going to be a hell of defenceman in the next couple of years. He is good now, needs maturing.

Dont forget immature also.

Don't forget the fear factor, the defence see PK wind up and they would like to be somewhere else. How many has he injured I wonder? Not enough. :)

Yes but fear factor by Hab forwards as much as shot blockers.

Ever wonder why Habs dont screen as much as maybe should, terrified of taking one in the teeth?

Seem to be waste alot of time trying to set up 1-timer on the PP.

Yes but fear factor by Hab forwards as much as shot blockers.

Ever wonder why Habs dont screen as much as maybe should, terrified of taking one in the teeth?

Seem to be waste alot of time trying to set up 1-timer on the PP.

Yeah I know, he has probably hurt as many habs forwards as he has oposition. :) It is a usefull weapon but overused. Would be better if not used quite so much maybe. But it is fun to watch when it works. SUBBANG BABY.

Yes is awesome when he connects and gets it on net, but sooner or later got to try something different and less telegraphed, more accurate & screened shots would likely be more productive.

Goalies have trouble if cant see not anticipate shot and rebounds can give scoring chances also . Such as, an Ovechkin wrister between d-man's legs seems to work as much as his slapshot from Stamkos's office.

But if keep winning, no big deal I suppose.

Maybe we should try the umbrella? Surely PK and Max can set up shop on the top of the circles and fire one-timers from there

We were doing that recently and had some success with it. Trying to come up with a reason it would have stopped and the only thing I can think of is that the coaches suffered memory loss when Pacs got his concussion and didn't have him as an option anymore. Wouldn't mind seeing Galchenyuk in that role either but he doesn't tend to score or even create many rebound opportunities from his outside shots on the pp unfortunately.

You're right, Pacioretty had an awful one as well. One is a #6 D though, the other the team's leading scorer. They're not getting the same treatment. One will have a lot more rope than the other.

Hmmm, idk CK, maybe they're hesitant to put Markov as the sole guy back on the blueline in an umbrella? Kinda putting him in a pinch if we make a turnover? Then again, we don't have to stay in that formation the entire shift? It's definitely worth an attempt anyway

Some may condemn Beaulieu for his past perceived ego or anger problems, but personally, I like the kid's attitude, and that first hit that Karlsson laid on him, it was Karlsson that went down, and was shaking the cobwebs off at the bench. He and NB had a running thing that game, and I maintain that is a good trade, wearing him down, even though NB gets a rest now, a job well done by the kid.

Beaulieu has a real fire in him, he is tough as nails, and doesn't back down from anything, and I like the kid a lot for our future... :)

Maybe Beaulieu was pissed because many teams would've grabbed Karlsson and facewashed him. That would've been stupid because we were trailing at the time, and taking a penalty could've cost us the game. He should've kept his emotions in check, and if an opportunity arose, then he should've sought retribution. He's young and a bit inexperienced but I too love his fire, and can't wait for him to reach full potential. Kid's got all the goods if you ask me