Sekac traded to Anaheim for Smith-Pelly

sim.on

Disappointed with the trade for sure. Sekac was that big winger we coveted and was playing decent in his rookie season. I think he has much more upside than Smith Pelly. I bet he goes to Anaheim and plays great on a line with Perry and Getzlaf. I think this is one we're going to regret. The only positive you can look at this one is that Sekac wasn't a draft pick so up until 6 months ago he wasn't an asset for us. We gained that asset for free and got Smith Pelly for it.

I agree with this. Maybe the deal isn't right for Eller. I think we would all be rotted with smith-Pelley for Eller. Maybe no one wants Eller.

The knock against Eller is he has terrible hockey sense. Even though he played well is last year's playoffs he's done zilch this year.

Definitely surprised they moved Sekac, I don't think anyone seen him being traded in a 1 for 1 deal. This is move geared towards a playoff run and organizational needs. We needed to get more physical up front and also someone to slot in on the right side. Here is a quote from hockey's future that makes me feel better about it:

"Smith-Pelly posted point-per-game junior numbers but his contribution was not measurable on the stat sheet. He played a big game, both literally and figuratively. A somewhat stocky player, Smith-Pelly earned a reputation as a strong player going to the net, battling along the boards and taking the body all over the ice. He also elevated his game in key situations."

Guest Stogey24

This team is all about defensive play. Yay, we got another third liner who plays conservative and isn't as gifted offensively. Meanwhile were sneaking out wins 2-1 on most nights. I understand Sekac hasn't been on the score sheet much, but Smith-Pelley hasn't either. Clear 500k in cap is only upside

Remember when we traded Gui Latendresse for Benoit Pouliot?

That's basically this trade but we got the Latendresse and they got the Pouliot.

I still like Sekac a lot and think he should have got more time in Montreal but the player we got back is very comparable. Pelly is right handed and natural to the right. He has 39 more hits than any other Habs forward and loves to get right to the crease. We flipped 22 year olds. For those who think playoff performances are not just hot streaks but "playoff performers" then you'll love Pelly. He had two big games against the Kings and helped finish the Stars off. Pelly is also a better defensive player than Sekac but not as good on possession.

My friends who watch a lot of OHL hockey remember how he played in Mississauga and felt he always played with a chip on his shoulder. He hasn't been the same guy. Similar to Subban he played on the Junior Canadiens.

I always liked Pelly but I really liked Sekac. Tough pill to swallow but nobody won or lost this trade yet. In the end I think both teams will win it.

DSP might not have as much skill as Sekac but it looks like he has more than Prust or Weise. Last goal of the vid is a beauty.

This trade really does fill an organizational need. Apart from Prust and Weise who else on the Canadiens is physical on the forecheck? And from what I've seen Weise has become less physical since his time on the top line. The physical toll is starting to affect Prust who hopefully is saving some for the playoffs. The Canadiens are not nearly hard enough to play against. I hoping that DSP will be a bigger stronger version of Brendan Gallagher, lost of goals in front of the net and ruffling some feathers down low!

DSP is averaging almost 3 hits per game.

I just saw some highlights of DSP and I noticed a few things [from a small sampling]. He seemed to be always in front or beside the net. and when given the chance he seemed to have good hands and be able to put the puck in the net.

I wonder if he will be a larger version of Gallagher, planted in front of the net.

patience is a virtue... especially when considering sekac has played only 50 games.. But maybe MB's long term vision is that of devante smith evolving into a simmonds like player?? does he drop the gloves?

interesting line combinations coming up especially with paranteau on the mend and de la rose playing so bloody well!!

Pretty suprised this morning to see Sekac being traded, I really liked his skill and saw potential for him to break out at some point. It was clear that this coach did not like him for whatever reason. I don't know much about DSP haven't really watched him play but at least Sekac got traded for a young player. I'm just thankful he didn't get traded for some 30+ year old player looking for a change of scenery.

Not a bad trade, I liked Sekac and thought he was the real deal. Le Genius didn't think so, not sure why. DSP is more agressive, and we need to get tougher up front. Pretty even trade, I think the hitting stats are what MB looked at. He wants tough guys going to the front of the net. DSP does that. This may turn out to be a mistake but for now I will go with MB. He is setting up for another trade, I think.

It was clear that this coach did not like him for whatever reason

I kinda get that feeling as well. I have no proof of it, but it smells like Therrien didn't Like him!

The way Bergevin is talking is that he wanted Pelly bad but had to pay up.

So you can continue thinking this is all about Therrien not liking him or see this as Bergevin having to pay for an asset he wanted.

One makes your paranoia feel better, the other makes your "We have a good GM" feel better.

Take your pick.

I am (was) a huge Sekac supporter. I loved his game and didn't think he was given a fair shake, probably should have been given some first line minutes considering Weise did, however we don't know what goes on in the dressing room. Maybe he NEEDED to go, maybe he was a distraction, I think we just need to give MB the benefit of the doubt, he usually makes very solid moves. I remember we were all up in arms about the Weise trade. Hopefully DSP comes in and changes the dynamic a bit, and gives us some more team toughness. I'm sad to see Sekac go, but I have learnt enough to trust MB, so.............

I don't understand this trade. That said, I wouldn't understand it going the other way, either. To me, this appears to be tinkering - an exchange of spare parts that likely doesn't make either team any better or worse. All I can guess is that Montreal had other players like Sekac, but didn't have enough big, tough wingers that like to drive to the net, no offense to Weise (not quite skilled enough), or Gallagher (tiny.)

Guest Stogey24

No idea why I had Sergei Gonchar on my mind when thinking about Pelly (right position, left handed). My bad!

I'm pretty sure he's listed as a lefty on DB

I'm pretty sure he's listed as a lefty on DB

He is very much a coveted right handed, power forward with a good shot. In other words, exactly what we needed. And after watching MB talk about the trade, it was more about acquiring said player rather than shipping out a problem.

Pelley is a hard nosed player, who plays a heavy, defensively responsible game, and really has a good shot and good hands, and a prototypical playoff player.

Great deal by Bergevin, increases grit 100%, and we clearly are shy on grit.

Skill is already in the minors, and Sherbak coming soon, we can afford to give up Sekac.

Like those before me said, filling an organizational need, saving half mil in cap, and getting a 3 year NHL veteran, out of Jiri who?