Habs Salary Cap Info and FAQ's

dlbalr

39 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That basically means we'd be paying significant assets for a rental player, as there is no guarantee that he would sign an extension a year from now,

*** IF *** a trade is made , I fully expect (nudge-nudge) there will already be (wink-wink) a "reverse Kotkaniemi" between Hughes and Brisson ... meaning one-year lower (relative) value RFA deal followed by a higher paying 8-year extension.

47 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That basically means we'd be paying significant assets for a rental player, as there is no guarantee that he would sign an extension a year from now,

If habs in fact trade for PLD rights he will be signing for 8 years I'm and around Suzuki caufield dollars.  Don't be fooled by the 9 million rumours, that's all to put teams off of trading for him. He is forcing  his way to MTL personally...

8 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

If habs in fact trade for PLD rights he will be signing for 8 years I'm and around Suzuki caufield dollars.  Don't be fooled by the 9 million rumours, that's all to put teams off of trading for him. He is forcing his way to MTL personally...

If the Habs trade for PLD without Winnipeg signing an extension, Habs can't sign him for 8-years until after the trade deadline.

BTW - wasn't suggesting $9M, must more than Suzuki ... the "internal ceiling" is (IMO) for second contracts.

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

If habs in fact trade for PLD rights he will be signing for 8 years I'm and around Suzuki caufield dollars.  Don't be fooled by the 9 million rumours, that's all to put teams off of trading for him. He is forcing  his way to MTL personally...

Its also his opening offer.

Everyone knows that if what you really want is 8 mill a season, you cant make your opening offer at 8 mill.  You have to ask for more and negotiate down.

• Like 1

Basu had some interesting notes on the Habs salary cap here :

Talking about Prices LTIR, they could get an extra $1.17 if they avoid some bonuses. 

Edited by alfredoh2009

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Vasi had some interesting notes on the Habs salary cap here :

Talking about Prices LTIR, they could get an extra $1.17 if they avoid some bonuses. 

His point on Price was that because of Price being on LTIR last season, there were $1,170,000 in bonuses earned last season that had to be carried over against this season's reported $83.5M cap ceiling, leaving the Habs $82.33M in potential cap space.

***IF*** HuGo were willing to keep Price on regular Injured reserve this season and live with his $10.5M counting against the cap they could avoid the potential $4.21M in bonuses this season having to be carried over to 24/25.

CapFriendly is showing the cap hit for Habs' roster, at $84,759,166 (including the bonus carryover and the last season of Alzner's buyout) ... that is with only 20 roster slots filled, meaning a 7th D and the 13/14th F still to be added ... so to keep Price on the cap would mean moving out $2.42917M plus whatever the remaining 2-3 roster players cost ... and not making any trades that were not money in for money out.

Moving Edmundson would seem the most likely move but that would leave just over $1M in flexibility, likely just an in-season cushion at best, and still needing the extra Ds and Fs ... so they would likely have to pay to get someone to take Armia and/or Hoffman to make keeping Price on the roster work.

Doesn't seem practical to me.

Edited by GHT120
Added clarification

I feel like I’m about to ask a dumb question …

Couldn’t the Habs bury Armia or Hoffman in the AHL and have their cap hit deducted (or some of it). I know it’s wishful thinking someone would claim them on waivers, but seems like it would allow them to avoid LTIR for Price. 

9 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Couldn’t the Habs bury Armia or Hoffman in the AHL and have their cap hit deducted (or some of it). I know it’s wishful thinking someone would claim them on waivers, but seems like it would allow them to avoid LTIR for Price. 

I think players around the league don't like that and it's a bad rep hit.

Plus they may not be great AHL influences and are taking development minutes away from guys. While simply eliminating any trade value.

But they totally could.

9 hours ago, revvvrob said:

They'd save 1.1M each according to capfriendly by burying them.

20 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

In the end, it's not much of a cap savings if you need to bring up someone else from Laval, even if it's at league minimum.

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

$1.15M, to be precise - it's $375,000 plus whatever the league minimum is that season.  And to answer Rob's question, yes, it's a definite option.  If Montreal wants to stay out of LTIR, I expect they will be making use of that particular option as well, doing a Byron-like shuffle from a few years ago.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

$1.15M, to be precise - it's $375,000 plus whatever the league minimum is that season.  And to answer Rob's question, yes, it's a definite option.  If Montreal wants to stay out of LTIR, I expect they will be making use of that particular option as well, doing a Byron-like shuffle from a few years ago.

And if they happen to lose them on waivers (unlikely as that may be) ... oh well.

53 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And if they happen to lose them on waivers (unlikely as that may be) ... oh well.

"unlikely" :D

20 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Its only slightly over 1 million that is saved.  Most of which is used up by the callup who replaces them.  Overall the savings becomes a net of 200-400 hundred grand at the end of it all (depending on who the call up is and what their nhl contract is)