Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

We should give our team a little more credit when it comes to who Galchenyuk will be playing with if he plays at centre. He could have Pacioretty, Gallagher, Kassian, Semin, Weise, even Desharnais or Eller as his wingers. Lots of players who are either defensively responsible or know offensively gifted. This isn't like when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was playing first line centre in his first games against the likes of the Kings and Blackhawks. We will also have Subban, Markov or Petry playing the blueline every time he's out on the ice. There really isn't a deep end in Montreal. We're a top team in the East.

And to this I'd add an awareness of the possibility that a player we hoped would be X (a 'stud' C or whatever) may not turn out to be that no matter how much we wish it were otherwise. That's the second question. It is possible that Galchenyuk won't turn out to be our fantasy Big #1 All Star C. It is possible that he will be better as a W for his entire career. Labelling him 'blue chip' makes no difference to the reality, whatever it may turn out to be.

I would be ok with him as a winger, but we need to give him an opportunity to be a center. He has not really had that yet. Also after 3 years on the club I think easing him in is a little redundant. It is time to fish or cut bait. Give him a real chance, if he can do it great, if he can't back to the wing and be the best winger you can be.

• Upvote 1

I would be ok with him as a winger, but we need to give him an opportunity to be a center. He has not really had that yet. Also after 3 years on the club I think easing him in is a little redundant. It is time to fish or cut bait. Give him a real chance, if he can do it great, if he can't back to the wing and be the best winger you can be.

Yep, give him a real chance. Like I said, 15 games, and if he's looking good - and I agree that he has to be allowed the leeway to have some bad games here and there - then another 15, etc.. If he's the real deal, then this should work out just fine, shouldn't it?

Considering, though, that there are people here who still think Eller has somehow been unfairly held back (rather than accepting that he is at best average), I doubt that ANY amount of 'chances at C' will satisfy them in the unfortunate circumstance that Galy turns out to be better suited as a winger in the NHL. If we play him for 20 games and (for the sake of argument) he is mediocre, that won't be enough - we should have played him for 40! If we play him for 40 games and he is mediocre, that'll be because he has the wrong wingers! If we play him for 82 games and he is mediocre, that'll be because Therrien's system is bad! Or he's not getting enough PP time!! Etc., etc..

Anyhow: yes, give him a chance at C by all means. Just not an unconditional blank cheque that pays no attention to team need, results, or performance.

dont ease him in, but if cant cut it let him play wing? I agree with 2nd part.

He had enough time to literaly get pasted numerous times trying to do too much, while trying to make one move too many.

And last game he played centre he got steamrolled and no doubt Bergevin cringed and pulled the plug on that.

It is better to have him playing somewhere in roster, than nursing a concussion in pressbox.

He had enough time to literaly get pasted numerous times trying to do too much, while trying to make one move too many.

And last game he played centre he got steamrolled and no doubt Bergevin cringed and pulled the plug on that.

It is better to have him playing somewhere in roster, than nursing a concussion in pressbox.

Summer time is optimism time. You'll notice all the enthusiasm over in the "Semin" thread despite the fact that this guy absolutely sucked gorilla arse last season. Similarly, very few people seem to be remembering how completely useless Galchenyuk looked down the stretch and in the playoffs. (Or perhaps they are blaming his struggles on his playing at the much less demanding position of W? I knew it was Therrien's fault! :nuts: )

(But again: I'm not saying not to try Galy at C. 'Try' being the operative word, and having a different meaning from 'hand it to him for 82 games irrespective of performance').

• Upvote 2

Don that is a great answer to a totally different question.

Summer time is optimism time. You'll notice all the enthusiasm over in the "Semin" thread despite the fact that this guy absolutely sucked gorilla arse last season. Similarly, very few people seem to be remembering how completely useless Galchenyuk looked down the stretch and in the playoffs. (Or perhaps they are blaming his struggles on his playing at the much less demanding position of W? I knew it was Therrien's fault! :nuts: )

(But again: I'm not saying not to try Galy at C. 'Try' being the operative word, and having a different meaning from 'hand it to him for 82 games irrespective of performance').

Ok this post has nothing to do with what I said, so you must be talking about someone else.

• Upvote 1

Galchenyuk had more even strength points last season than Eller has had points in a season for his entire career. They are players on a completely different level from each other. If people want to give Chucky some slack for his performances at 21 years old, it's a little more sensible than 26 year old Eller that's never broken more than 30 points in his career.

Hmm. We're getting off the rails here, and it's partly my fault. My bad.

Let's retrace our steps. The original idea was that we should trade DD to force MT to use Chucky as a C. I and, I believe, Don, demurred, partly on the grounds that we think it unwise to just anoint Galchenyuk our #2 C, as though he is guaranteed to excel, and that it might be good to have DD around if Chucky doesn't make the transition or if he needs to be eased into the transition (which is the most likely scenario, I'd guess).

This then fractured into debates over whether it's better in general to ease a young player into a role or to throw him into the deep end. I only brought Eller in to illustrate what I think is a recurring tendency, i.e., to make endless excuses for certain players that, for whatever reason, fans have turned into unimpeachable icons. And while I still think that IF Galchenyuk doesn't become a stud C, a significant number of fans will - tiresomely - blame Therrien rather than Galcheynuk, it's probably better to withdraw the example and get back to basics. Should we trade DD to force MT to play Galy at C? I'd say no.

Hmm. We're getting off the rails here, and it's partly my fault. My bad.

Let's retrace our steps. The original idea was that we should trade DD to force MT to use Chucky as a C. I and, I believe, Don, demurred, partly on the grounds that we think it unwise to just anoint Galchenyuk our #2 C, as though he is guaranteed to excel, and that it might be good to have DD around if Chucky doesn't make the transition or if he needs to be eased into the transition (which is the most likely scenario, I'd guess).

This then fractured into debates over whether it's better in general to ease a young player into a role or to throw him into the deep end. I only brought Eller in to illustrate what I think is a recurring tendency, i.e., to make endless excuses for certain players that, for whatever reason, fans have turned into unimpeachable icons. And while I still think that IF Galchenyuk doesn't become a stud C, a significant number of fans will - tiresomely - blame Therrien rather than Galcheynuk, it's probably better to withdraw the example and get back to basics. Should we trade DD to force MT to play Galy at C? I'd say no.

And I would agree. See how easy that was. :)

• 2 weeks later...

That website is complete bunk. They contacted writers I know who don't do rumours to write rumours for them.

well then, i'll avoid that tripe in the future, eh.

A quick glance of that site suggests that they like to link just about everybody to the Habs. Either a fake rumour (such as Emelin to Dallas for Hemsky, Emelin+ to Edmonton for Yakupov, and Versteeg to Montreal for a higher price than they were reportedly paying at the draft) or by tossing their name into the mix for many others (Byfuglien, Steen, Kunitz). All of those names appeared in the last 10 days. Seems like click baiting at its finest.

A quick glance of that site suggests that they like to link just about everybody to the Habs. Either a fake rumour (such as Emelin to Dallas for Hemsky, Emelin+ to Edmonton for Yakupov, and Versteeg to Montreal for a higher price than they were reportedly paying at the draft) or by tossing their name into the mix for many others (Byfuglien, Steen, Kunitz). All of those names appeared in the last 10 days. Seems like click baiting at its finest.

Click baiting, that is quite a bit different than chick baiting right? :)

Guest Stogey24

Click baiting, that is quite a bit different than chick baiting right? :)

Patrick Kane may have a few tips on chick baiting

• 1 month later...

Pre-Petry he made sense. If he was an LD he'd make sense. Now we'd be playing him on the third pair and we already have an overpriced third pairing D-man (Emelin).

Winnipeg thinks he's going to cost more than $6M per season to re-sign.

He won't be leaving the Jets for cheap (they want to make the playoffs every year, they want to re-sign him, he's their top pairing RD, etc.) so I don't see a deal unless Montreal is making it super special.

• 1 month later...

Pierrre Lebrun noted (TSN690) some teams may have interest in Tinordi.

I'm sure there are teams that see 'big D' and 'somewhat recent 1st rounder' and have their interest piqued a little. What level is that interest though? Would a team be willing to part with an actual asset or would the offers be more along the lines of a conditional mid-round pick to take a healthy scratch off Montreal's hands? If the latter is what's out there, I wouldn't expect anything to get done.