St. John's IceCaps offseason thread

DON

McCarron, Fucale, Didier, Thrower, Bozon, Scherbak, Lernout, MacMillan, Gregoire, Audette, Reway? Who will be an 'IceCap'?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nygren won't be around next year (no shocker there). He has reportedly inked a one year deal to return to Farjestad.

Gotta say, good as well.

Reway Hudon Scherbak

Bozon Andrighetto McCarron

Carr Gregoire Thomas

Tangradi Dumont Sorkin

Crisp Dowell McNally

MacMillan Fournier

Deitz Thrower

Bennett Ellis

Lernout Didier

Finley Drewiske

Condon

Fucale

Makes me contemplate a move to NFLD.

Audette is too young and back to the Q I think and Tinordi wont be in AHL for Habs, he will need to be on Habs or traded I think due to his waiver status.

Audette is too young and back to the Q I think and Tinordi wont be in AHL for Habs, he will need to be on Habs or traded I think due to his waiver status.

Correct on both.

Other notes on the depth chart:

Dowell almost certainly won't be back - him signing with Hamilton was for family reasons, I can't see them making the trek to St. John's. The fact that Tangradi wasn't recalled is probably a sign that he won't be back either. Reway won't be around either, he has said before he'll only sign when there's a top six NHL spot for him, he won't play in the minors. Sorkin's an AHL free agent and my early guess is that McNally is taking his spot on the roster although I'd like to see him back in a depth role again.

Defensively, Ellis is a pending RFA and at this stage probably will be let go as he looks like a career AHL depth guy so they won't want him against the 50 contract limit. Didier has to sign by August 15th and the fact he hasn't already has me thinking they're leaning towards letting him go as well. Finley's an AHL free agent and we can only pray he won't be back. They'll be looking to add a veteran or two on the blueline I'd imagine.

Edited. I re-signed Drewiske for depths sake.

• 2 weeks later...

According to @DLCoulisses on Twitter, Gabriel Dumont was told he would not be returning with the Habs or Ice Caps next season.

That's actually quite surprising that they don't want him back. I could have believed that Dumont preferred to go elsewhere but he was a useful young veteran to have around so I thought they'd be qualifying him.

He can still be signed as AHLer.

Sure, but the report says he won't be back with the Habs or IceCaps which takes an AHL deal off the table. If they wanted him in St. John's, they'd just qualify him, it's not like they're in a big crunch on the 50-man roster. That reminds me, I should probably go update that...

• 2 weeks later...

Gritty lil captain is coming back, good to hear.

Ellis seemed to play well at the end.

WIll Didier get signed, or Habs simply let walk after Aug?

Guest Stogey24

Just watching some of Lernout's scraps. Will he be with the Caps next year?

Didn't realize he played 6 games with dogs this past season

Edited by Stogey24

Just watching some of Lernout's scraps. Will he be with the Caps next year?

Didn't realize he played 6 games with dogs this past season

It's looking like there's going to be a logjam on the right side in St. John's - Dietz, Ellis, Thrower, Lernout, and maybe Didier as well, not to mention any AHL signings. It's not crazy to think that they'd opt to send someone like Lernout down to the ECHL if he's not in the top six to start. My guess right now is that he'd probably start on the 2nd pairing with the IceCaps though.

It's looking like there's going to be a logjam on the right side in St. John's - Dietz, Ellis, Thrower, Lernout, and maybe Didier as well, not to mention any AHL signings. It's not crazy to think that they'd opt to send someone like Lernout down to the ECHL if he's not in the top six to start. My guess right now is that he'd probably start on the 2nd pairing with the IceCaps though.

Where will Mac Bennett be? ECHL? That top six sounds like they need a skater/scorer like him.

Bennett is LH d-man.

Dogs were very short staffed on defnese, due to injuries at end of year, so Lernout played a lot both was on the PK&PP and held his own.

But maybe he would be better to be top pairing in Brampton if too many RH d-men already?

Where will Mac Bennett be? ECHL? That top six sounds like they need a skater/scorer like him.

He should be a top four next year unless they add a couple of veterans on the left side (which would really be nice). He's already 24; it would be a real cause for concern if he starts in Brampton next season.