Development Camp Invites/Discussion

dlbalr

A little known tidbit about these camps is that the Habs actually sign players to ATO deals (with the exception of NCAA guys). Today, the team released seven of those players, suggesting they probably won't be back for rookie camp. Those players are:

G: Matt Mancina

D: Bailey Webster, Michael Webster

F: Taylor Burke, Brandon Magee, Mario Huber, Tim McGauley

There will assuredly be more that get released at some point but those are the seven that came off the list today.

Nice for McGauley.

I think you misinterpreted my post. Those seven were released, not signed. (The players signed their ATO's before the development camp - anyone released at this time generally isn't back for the rookie camp. Anyone who is still around come late August usually is back for the rookie camp.)

I think you misinterpreted my post. Those seven were released, not signed. (The players signed their ATO's before the development camp - anyone released at this time generally isn't back for the rookie camp. Anyone who is still around come late August usually is back for the rookie camp.)

I certainly did.

Guest Stogey24

I was a little confused there too. What was wrong with Mcgauley? He had a damn good year with the Wheat Kings

But as a 19 year old, he should do well, just like McCarron playing vs mostly younger teenagers, likely has got HabFans a tad too excited. McCarron had exact same goal total this year as Conner Crisp did in his final year in Sudbury and he cant even crack AHL roster.

Many (Most?) of highest scoring CHL players are older ones, likely many who were never drafted neither.

(Just anecdotal, I didn't look up any facts on that bit.)

When Scherbak is 'on' he shows some super skill and dangling and really does remind me of Galchenyuk.

And maybe as he and Constantine have said over and over, he was working hard at other end of rink trying to improve his play away from puck, his team wasn't a offensive powerhouse and he was far and away best player on his team for 2nd straight year.

And he also has admitted more consistency in his game is needed, which likely goes for 99.9% of teenagers looking to make it as a pro.

As WHL PBP guys said he can be electric in his play...but also invisible some nights.

But, I had hoped he might have a "Gallagher" type WHL year with 40+ goals.

Saviour? Bit over the top, but he surly could be a sweet addition to the top six, if all the stars align and he puts in a rookie of year debut season this or next year

When Scherbak is 'on' he shows some super skill and dangling and really does remind me of Galchenyuk.

And maybe as he and Constantine have said over and over, he was working hard at other end of rink trying to improve his play away from puck, his team wasn't a offensive powerhouse and he was far and away best player on his team for 2nd straight year.

And he also has admitted more consistency in his game is needed, which likely goes for 99.9% of teenagers looking to make it as a pro.

As WHL PBP guys said he can be electric in his play...but also invisible some nights.

But, I had hoped he might have a "Gallagher" type WHL year with 40+ goals.

Saviour? Bit over the top, but he surly could be a sweet addition to the top six, if all the stars align and he puts in a rookie of year debut season this or next year

I hope you're right,I just think it's way too much to expect top 6 production at NHL for a few years.

Scherbak dominated on the Silvertips with 82 points in 65 games. Second to him was Carson Stadnyk with 69 points in 71 games. An 11 point lead is impressive. Around February, Scherbak was 8th in WHL scoring. His coach did nothing but gush about how he's grown as an all-around player.

I think way, way too much stock goes into how good a player was in junior.

Scherbak dominated on the Silvertips with 82 points in 65 games. Second to him was Carson Stadnyk with 69 points in 71 games. An 11 point lead is impressive. Around February, Scherbak was 8th in WHL scoring. His coach did nothing but gush about how he's grown as an all-around player.

I think way, way too much stock goes into how good a player was in junior.

He scored 27 goals both years,3 in 11 playoff games. Against teenagers. He needs a few years

He scored 27 goals both years,3 in 11 playoff games. Against teenagers. He needs a few years

Trust me, I'm not in the "he'll make the NHL" camp. I'd prefer him, McCarron and Hudon to be in the AHL. Bournival, Holloway, Thomas, Andrighetto and Carr are the guys I expect to fight for the last LW spot.

I hope all the kids shine in Sept and make Bergevin's choice very difficult. Maybe even on back end with Dietz having another 'brilliant' training camp, as described by Lapointe last year (very very low, near zero, odds Dietz could even bump Pateryn/Tinordi, but who knows, he was a very dedicated, driven and determined kid in junior).

I hope all the kids shine in Sept and make Bergevin's choice very difficult. Maybe even on back end with Dietz having another 'brilliant' training camp, as described by Lapointe last year (very very low, near zero, odds Dietz could even bump Pateryn/Tinordi, but who knows, he was a very dedicated, driven and determined kid in junior).

What about Lernout or Thrower,any word on their chances?

From what I've read, Dietz was not in good shape at the development camp and didn't play particularly well despite being partnered with Bennett, someone he played with a fair bit last year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stogey24

McGauley has caught on with Washington and will be at their rookie camp/tourney.

Obviously something Habs management didn't like about him