Canadiens sign Alex Semin, one year, $1.1 M

I'm a little concerned about this signing. I have a feeling it might just lead to a lot of drama and distraction with lots of poor defense and soft play from Semin. Hopefully I'm wrong and a one year deal is the right motivation Semin needs.

At this point, if we won't move for a legit 1st line RW, all I'm asking for is another 50 points guy on the RW. And for no term.

We knew there was no way MB was just sitting around waiting for Brisson/AG to call him back and resume negotiations.

I really think 1 year 1.1 is a no-brainer (if that is accurate). I still hope there is competition for all roster spots meaning, if Thomas or Andrighetto or whoever outplay him, that Semin sits or goes waivers.

I don't like the fact our forwards are pretty much set. Says it'll take a herculean effort or injury for a youngster to crack the lineup. It also means we have five right wingers now and someone either plays LW, sits in the box or gets traded.

That said, if the Habs didn't check his wrist before signing then I'll be mighty angry. If they did and made the deal, I'll be a bit happier. His HERO statistics were still very strong last year despite a lack of scoring.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Semin
De La Rose - Eller - Kassian
Smith-Pelly - Mitchell - Weise

Flynn

Unless we make a trade, that's what we're walking into the next season with. Feels like a trade is coming. DSP as a fourth line LW doesn't sit right with me. But if the Semin signing works out? We've finally strengthened our RW in the top nine as something imposing, even if just for one season.

So we add Semin and Kassian and subtract Parenteau and Prust.

In terms of skill and scoring ability we improved a lot, not sure about work ethic and character though. Let's hope MB and MT can get these new acquisitions motivated and fitting in with the team.

Guest Stogey24

Semin signed for 1.1. How can anyone be upset with that? Cheap dark horse signing that can easily be removed if things dont work out. Low risk high reward.

Semin signed for 1.1. How can anyone be upset with that? Cheap dark horse signing that can easily be removed if things dont work out. Low risk high reward.

Not upset, just have a lot of questions that are going to be unanswered. It's also against what Bergevin has been talking about for the most part.

I like the options we now have on the right but I don't know how all of them will get properly utilized.

So we add Semin and Kassian and subtract Parenteau and Prust.

In terms of skill and scoring ability we improved a lot, not sure about work ethic and character though. Let's hope MB and MT can get these new acquisitions motivated and fitting in with the team.

Massive step backward in terms of character. We'll just have to hope that the leadership core is strong enough to absorb two head cases.

I laughed out loud when I saw this news - after all my critiques of those spraying Semin all over this board! However, as I maintained throughout, my response is to shrug and hope for the best. He's a one-year stopgap who is unlikely to help us in the playoffs, but you never know. I just hope Kassian can step up as a legit top-6 FW, since he, not Semin, represents a possible longer-term answer.

Holy moly, did not expect this a bit. But I'll echo the sentiments, how can you be upset at only 1.1 for one measley year? If he doesn't work then see ya! Semin has a lot of skill

• Upvote 1

Massive step backward in terms of character. We'll just have to hope that the leadership core is strong enough to absorb two head cases.

I laughed out loud when I saw this news - after all my critiques of those spraying Semin all over this board! However, as I maintained throughout, my response is to shrug and hope for the best. He's a one-year stopgap who is unlikely to help us in the playoffs, but you never know. I just hope Kassian can step up as a legit top-6 FW, since he, not Semin, represents a possible longer-term answer.

So you see something like:

Patches - Plek - Gally

Chuck - DD - Kassian

DLR - Eller - Semin

?

A lot of people mention character but once you build a core full of character guys you can go out and take risks on players, it's that group of character guys that get that one guy to buy into their group.

In the end it's 1 year for 1.1 million meaning he's very motivated to continue his career in the NHL, i'm sure he could've gotten more elsewhere. Worst case if he's a serious issue it either gets the coach fired or he loses his own job.

Guest Stogey24

We'll see boys, we'll see. Little worried how he'll do under Therrien, but we need talent up top and Semin has it

I honestly think this is one of the best moves Bergevin has made. Gallagher potentially goes into a second line roll and plays against more favourable matchups. Guys are put in proper roles again, like when we acquired Vanek

A lot of people mention character but once you build a core full of character guys you can go out and take risks on players, it's that group of character guys that get that one guy to buy into their group.

In the end it's 1 year for 1.1 million meaning he's very motivated to continue his career in the NHL, i'm sure he could've gotten more elsewhere. Worst case if he's a serious issue it either gets the coach fired or he loses his own job.

My thought too.

There's no perfect all-star sniper available for 1.1 M$ out there. He's not perfect for sure, but he's adding something we cruelly lacked, raw skill. I would like to see him with Galchenyuk. Hopefully this is the year Galchenyuk blossoms and maybe Semin will find a way to be a positive impact.

I'm on the fence with this, but if Semin can regain his scoring touch and not be a detriment to the work ethic or locker room, this is a good deal.

So you see something like:

Patches - Plek - Gally

Chuck - DD - Kassian

DLR - Eller - Semin

?

Hey, it beats me. IF Kassian shows up and Semin plays like he did last year, then Semin rides the pine and Kass rips it up on the top lines. IF Semin reverts back to PPG form, and Kassian keeps getting hurt or prioritizing booze over his career, then the reverse is true. In the unlikely event that both have great seasons, it's a nice problem for MT to manage. In the rather more likely even that both turn out to be dogs, we're back in the crapper. And in any case, line configurations are adjusted from shift to shift in today's NHL, so it's barely worth thinking about.

As for the Kings, there's a difference between being a scumbag in your private life and bringing it on the ice, which is what they did during their two playoff runs. Semin has a history of NOT bringing 'er except when he feels like it, and Kassian has a (shorter) history of failing to 'bring 'er' at all. These guys lack character on the ice. But - again - Semin may decide to favour us with one of his good seasons (just don't count on him carrying that into the playoffs), and Kassian may be growing up. We'll see.

According to some Caps fans I know, Semin has played LW in the past and was fine in the position.

If he can do that in Montreal, this might change my viewpoint:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Semin - Plekanec - Kassian

And then Bergevin figures out who the third centre is by trading Eller or DD before camp.

I like the signing Its cheap and affordable if he doesnt work out and He is a Russian. Russian players tend to like Montreal and he will be playing for a contract. He does lack on defense but if Semin is motivated his offense will make up for his defensive liabilities. It isnt like he is going to kill penalties he is there for the PP. I give Bergevin credit he is very shrewd He hasnt made the block buster trade yet but he never makes a bad trade either. The trade may not have worked out but it never comes back to bite us either. I expect Bergevin to not make a trade until the regular season where he will tinker with the lineup. The only possible player I see that would fit would be Eric Staal if a trade was made. I wouldnt be surprised if he did move out a defenseman. If he can move either Emelin or Gilbert to shed some more salary even the better probably for a draft pick 2nd rounder I would assume. I think that may happen especially if Tinordi has a good camp if he doesnt he may be the one to get a draft pick

Guest Stogey24

According to some Caps fans I know, Semin has played LW in the past and was fine in the position.

If he can do that in Montreal, this might change my viewpoint:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Semin - Plekanec - Kassian

And then Bergevin figures out who the third centre is by trading Eller or DD before camp.

Gallagher would look a lot better on second line.

Buddy on Tsn was saying Semin likes to come down on his off wing, so maybe he will slot in on the left side. Either way...