How many minutes should Markov play next season?

dlbalr

We've seen the discussion in a few different threads now about how it would be nice for Markov to have a reduction in minutes in 2015-16. But how much of a cut should he get from the 24:54 per night he played last year? (For reference, he was at 24:04 in the postseason.)

We're running a WWI piece on the site about this in the not-too-distant future but it would be good to have some commentary from here as well.

How many minutes he should play and how many minutes he will likely play are probably two different answers. Therrien kept the pedal on the gas with him all season, trying to win each game they played, and I can't blame him. Even down the stretch with a playoff spot locked up him ran him ragged out there when he could have given him games off. But as far as how many he should play, it should be around the 20:00 mark in my opinion. Plenty of younger legs can help eat up those top minutes with Subban.

I would say he and emelin should be about the same. 19-20 minutes and when we get closer to the playoffs, he should get a game off on any doubleheaders, kinda like a goalie. That of course assumes that we are leading the league, cause otherwise Le Genius will ride him like a rented mule. And he will be exhausted in the playoffs.

I would say he and emelin should be about the same. 19-20 minutes and when we get closer to the playoffs, he should get a game off on any doubleheaders, kinda like a goalie.

That means that the left side will have all three d-men playing about the same ice time. That's not something you see every day but it wouldn't be a crazy idea. That might work.

I don't think it's the minutes more games played.

I would try something a little different. Play Tinordi in one game of the back to back games they play. Typically that is between 16 and 18. Then Markov would paly around 64 games. Markov would always have rest between games and Tinordi could develop a bit.

Barring injuries of course

I think it depends on how well Beaulieu plays. He will ultimately dictate Markov's usage. Right of passage.

20-22, second pair

Agreed.

#61 d-man in NHL 21:50 and #90 was 20:45

So would have to say he will play 20-21minutes with Petry being able to eat more than Emelin/Gilbert did.

He should play 20:45/game.

Guest Stogey24

I don't think it's the minutes more games played.

I would try something a little different. Play Tinordi in one game of the back to back games they play. Typically that is between 16 and 18. Then Markov would paly around 64 games. Markov would always have rest between games and Tinordi could develop a bit.

Barring injuries of course

There is no way Markov will be scratched. The guy put up 50pts last year. He's major part of this teams success.

If Beaulieu is better, Markov should be down around 18-19 mins, just so he gets that little bit of a break. Of course he gets top PP mins, and should be better rested for that.

There is no way Markov will be scratched. The guy put up 50pts last year. He's major part of this teams success.

Resting an older player you need in the best of condition at playoff time is not really scratching him, any more than playing the back up is scratching Price.

If Beaulieu is better, Markov should be down around 18-19 mins, just so he gets that little bit of a break. Of course he gets top PP mins, and should be better rested for that.

So the #11 scoring d-man should be 160-220th among d in icetime? That would be way too much of a cut and Petry/Beaulieu are not Markov calibre.

Not a chance he should only play 18minutes, but much less than 23-24 minutes/game for sure.

Healthy scratch is a bit much also, except for end of season, as he has been last couple years.

Guest Stogey24

Resting an older player you need in the best of condition at playoff time is not really scratching him, any more than playing the back up is scratching Price.

Markov just seems like the type of guy who wouldn't take a seat even if he was asked to take a breather.

Either way, hi s minutes will be lessened for sure

Markov just seems like the type of guy who wouldn't take a seat even if he was asked to take a breather.

Either way, hi s minutes will be lessened for sure

I certainly hope so, we don't need a repeat of last year.

Guest Stogey24

I certainly hope so, we don't need a repeat of last year.

He struggled mightily in the playoffs. I didn't think being gased would hamper his play as badly as it did.

He struggled mightily in the playoffs. I didn't think being gased would hamper his play as badly as it did.

Yeah it was really hard to watch. We need him at his best come playoff time, I am sure the MB has noticed and will advise Le Genius as such.

I think the Habs have a real possibility to run two first pairings if they put Markov with Petry and allow Subban with someone other than Markov on the LD (Beaulieu preferably but I'll take Emelin too if he finds chemistry with Subban). Even so, Subban should still be the bull with primary PP1 and ES time.

Here's our WWI piece. As it turns out, I went with a higher TOI than anyone else between the writers or anyone here. http://www.habsworld.net/2015/07/writers-weigh-in-managing-markovs-minutes/

So it looks like the general consensus not including you Brian is 20 minutes. And you are only 2 min above that. 20-22 but closer to 20 if possible is ok by me.

Guest Stogey24

God damn I wish Tinordi would have stepped up by now(fingers crossed he ever does). A top pair of P.K and big stay at home d-man(Tinordi) would be a perfect combo. Then you run a speedy second pair of Beaulieu and Petry and third pair of Markov and Gilbert/Pateryn.

Markov's minutes? As many as they need to win. He's a first pair defenseman. Do the Habs have another that I'm not aware of? Petry, Beaulieu, Emelin, Glibert, Pateryn aren't going to replace his minutes.

Markov's minutes? As many as they need to win. He's a first pair defenseman. Do the Habs have another that I'm not aware of? Petry, Beaulieu, Emelin, Glibert, Pateryn aren't going to replace his minutes.

That was the plan Le Genius used last year. Did you watch Markov in the playoffs?

So it looks like the general consensus not including you Brian is 20 minutes. And you are only 2 min above that. 20-22 but closer to 20 if possible is ok by me.

sorry but I'm with brian, i would like to see his minutes stay at 22-24 minutes and have petry's minutes increased to the same. have the general's minutes decreased on the PP and PK...

5 on 5

markov petry

beaulieau PK

tinordi pateryn

gilbert

emelin

PP

PK petry

marky beaulieau

sorry but I'm with brian, i would like to see his minutes stay at 22-24 minutes and have petry's minutes increased to the same. have the general's minutes decreased on the PP and PK...

Is it really so bad to agree with me that you have to apologize for it? :)

• Upvote 1