Who plays where? Who plays at all?

Pretty much certain Desharnais and Plekanec will be the #1 and #2 centres all year. Therefore:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Semin

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

DSP - Eller - Kassian

DLR - Mitchell - Weise

Extras: Bournival, Flynn

On defense, same story as everyone else: a trade most certainly needs to happen:

Subban - Petry

Beaulieu - Markov

Pateryn - Emelin

Gilbert - Tinordi

I would guess Plekanec and Eller will be the top 2 centres.

Eller almost surpassed Desharnais in playoff ice time and once given a bit more PP time ( :pray:), I can see him moving up pecking order.

You lost me at DD being at least as responsible (let alone more) than Eller.

DD is responsible defensively. He backchecks, he doesn't cough up the puck, he's a + rating. He doesn't grind in the corners, but he's responsible.

Eller is a defensive hole on the roster. He's a consistent minus rating on an overwhelmingly + roster, he makes stupid-ass plays that result in opposing goals. He's okay on the penalty kill, when he's only playing to prevent the other team from scoring, but when you put him in a situation where he's supposed to play on both ends of the ice, he's inneffectual in both. All he has going for him is size, but he doesn't use it effectively. I think it boils down to the not-mentioned-often-enough "play without the puck." DD puts himself in the right place, positionally, based on the situation. He's where he needs to be to either strip a puck with a poke check, or to receive a breakout pass from a grinding winger/defenseman and get out of the zone. Eller does not play well without the puck. He seems lost, he's rarely in the right position to help with anything.

DD is responsible defensively. He backchecks, he doesn't cough up the puck, he's a + rating. He doesn't grind in the corners, but he's responsible.

Eller is a defensive hole on the roster. He's a consistent minus rating on an overwhelmingly + roster, he makes stupid-ass plays that result in opposing goals. He's okay on the penalty kill, when he's only playing to prevent the other team from scoring, but when you put him in a situation where he's supposed to play on both ends of the ice, he's inneffectual in both. All he has going for him is size, but he doesn't use it effectively. I think it boils down to the not-mentioned-often-enough "play without the puck." DD puts himself in the right place, positionally, based on the situation. He's where he needs to be to either strip a puck with a poke check, or to receive a breakout pass from a grinding winger/defenseman and get out of the zone. Eller does not play well without the puck. He seems lost, he's rarely in the right position to help with anything.

I feel this describes the Eller of two seasons ago more than it does last year's Eller; the latter struck me as a tolerably reliable place-holder (and that's basically all he is, a guy you throw out there to eat some minutes on the assumption that he won't hurt you too badly; because Lord knows, he generates diddly squat). But I agree with you insofar as Eller's defensive game is quite over-rated by some fans. He is nothing special on either side of the puck - a complete nonentity of a player. The strongest rebuttal one could give of your post, and still be within the realm of the realistic, is that Eller is not a defensive liability. More than that is wishful thinking IMHO.

I think Eller's best defensive ability is his control of the puck. He's good at getting it and holding it. Where he lacks is vision. If Desharnais could keep control of the puck as half as good as Eller he'd be Marc Savard. For all of the Eller vs. Desharnais it's funny how the two differ here so drastically. Eller has no vision but solid puck control. Desharnais has tons of vision but no puck control. If Eller could just distribute the puck better after having it (you might remember Eller from such films as, "Holds the puck until he gets pincered into a corner and makes last ditch effort pass to the blueline" and "Nobody knows why I'm still standing here with the puck and not passing it to anyoneoh wait I got stripped of it anyway") he'd have shoved Plekanec out of his top six centre role. Or at least DD out of the role.

Eller is fine defensively. Not elite, not crap. He's solid for a third line centre. The problem is that Lars Eller shows absolutely nothing to suggest he shouldn't be a third line centre. Here's his HERO stats from 12-13 to 14-15:

EllerHERO.png

His individual product and his impact to his linemates goals and CORSI is right at that third line mark. Remember, this includes his inflated stats in 12-13. Eller is right where he's supposed to be. I don't have a problem with Eller as a third line centre. I have a problem with Eller in the top six, Eller not being an elite third line centre and just a middle of the road one at $3.5M and the idea there's some big conspiracy against Eller plotted by evil Michel Therrien. Eller to me is our Jordan Staal. He's the guy we hoped could become more than just a third line centre, and since he isn't showing that, he'd probably be good for a different team to fall for him and give us a great deal to acquire him. Allegedly we almost got Artem Anisimov for him at the trade deadline. That would have been nice.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

The lines I'd like to see opening night:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Kassian

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Semin

De La Rose - Eller - Gallagher

Smith-Pelly - Mitchell/Flynn - Weise

So these lines are not including any trades. I think any big trades are highly unlikely for the foreseeable future. I like Desharnais between two big bodies. He was at his best between Patches and Cole. It also gives Kassian a chance to succeed. Kassian still has a lot of potential which would be awesome if realized. For Desharnais haters lets face facts, he's our best play-maker and he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Having that line get bigger would take pressure off of him to be physical and he could hide in the weeds and setup his line-mates. I think that line would work.

I like Semin on the second line with Pleks and Galchenyuk. A highly skilled line with Pleks serving as the defensive watchdog while still exercising his well developed offensive skills. Reminds me of the line Pleks formed with Kostitson and Kovalev. I like the fact that Pleks is good enough offensively to keep up with Semin and Chucky but is defensively aware and can prevent the inevitable mistakes coming from his 2 talented wingers.

In my opinion these 2 lines are balanced and make sense. They are fashioned around successful lines of the past and they give the 2 new acquisitions a real chance to succeed and help the team. As for the rest, well Eller and Gallagher are the best players not in the top 6 in this scenario so put them on the 3rd line and fill in the blanks with the rest. It's worth a try.

• Upvote 1

Opening night I want see galchenyuk at centre. Do on the wing.

So these lines are not including any trades. I think any big trades are highly unlikely for the foreseeable future. I like Desharnais between two big bodies. He was at his best between Patches and Cole. It also gives Kassian a chance to succeed. Kassian still has a lot of potential which would be awesome if realized. For Desharnais haters lets face facts, he's our best play-maker and he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Having that line get bigger would take pressure off of him to be physical and he could hide in the weeds and setup his line-mates. I think that line would work.

I like Semin on the second line with Pleks and Galchenyuk. A highly skilled line with Pleks serving as the defensive watchdog while still exercising his well developed offensive skills. Reminds me of the line Pleks formed with Kostitson and Kovalev. I like the fact that Pleks is good enough offensively to keep up with Semin and Chucky but is defensively aware and can prevent the inevitable mistakes coming from his 2 talented wingers.

In my opinion these 2 lines are balanced and make sense. They are fashioned around successful lines of the past and they give the 2 new acquisitions a real chance to succeed and help the team. As for the rest, well Eller and Gallagher are the best players not in the top 6 in this scenario so put them on the 3rd line and fill in the blanks with the rest. It's worth a try.

Opening night I want see galchenyuk at centre. Do on the wing.

I think that's the long term plan hopefully but I don't think it will happen this year especially after what Bergevin was saying regarding Galchenyuk at centre.

Edited by Habs owned the 70's

I'm predicting Galchenyuk has a stellar camp and earns the C position..

Pacs - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Kassian - Pleks - Semin

DD - Eller - DeLaRose

Weise - Malhotra - SmithPelly

The idea of Brendan Gallagher playing third line is... almost in the realm of offensive. Maybe some people miss it because he's small, but here's a great article underlying how statistics absolutely adore him. He's almost Top 30 for passes that lead to shot attempts, better than Tyler Seguin, Ryan Johansen and Matt Duchene. He helps drive team possession.

This whole thread is redundant, I have it on good authority that Le Genius has been working on the blender all summer, glass of scotch in hand, he can change the lineup every 10 secs now. It really is an artform. :)

• Upvote 2

100% agree. The only way Gally drops is if Chucky, kassian and Semin have huge years, or in the event that Chucky is a centre a prospect has a huge year.

Not bloody likely.

Gallagher on the third line ain't going to happen though. The kid could be a 30 goal scorer this year

The idea of Brendan Gallagher playing third line is... almost in the realm of offensive. Maybe some people miss it because he's small, but here's a great article underlying how statistics absolutely adore him. He's almost Top 30 for passes that lead to shot attempts, better than Tyler Seguin, Ryan Johansen and Matt Duchene. He helps drive team possession.

DD and Patches have to play together on the first line. That's a given knowing how they play together and their history. I'm not a huge DD fan but Patches is our best forward and DD brings out the best in him. To make that line effective size wise Kassian should be there unless he proves he can't cut it. While I agree that Gallagher is too good for the third line, I don't see him as a good match with DD and Patches on the first line. I wouldn't put the 2 smallest guys on the team on the same line much less on our top line. They would get run out of the rink. I know Therrien did it last year and it was sickening at times giving me flashbacks of Koivu/Petrov back in the day. Galchenyuk is not ready for centre and may never be. I agree with Bergevin on that one. I like Pleks, Semin, and Chucky together. Semin and Chucky on the same line could be magic. Of course if Semin or Kassian shit the bed then get Gally in there but not to start the season. Our 2 best centres right now are DD and Pleks so there's not much room to manoeuvre there. It's a great problem to have so many good forwards. However, more importantly than just ranking the top 6 players and putting them on the top 2 lines is making sure the lines are balanced and that each player is in the position that they can be most effective whether it is C, RW, or LW.

Am I the only person who remembers how little DD and Pacioretty played together in 2015? It was Galchenyuk on his line at the start of the year for 15 games and soon it was Plekanec for the rest of the season and most of the playoffs aside from a game here or there.

If we just count games from January to May I'm pretty sure Galchenyuk played as Desharnais' wing more than Pacioretty.

Am I the only person who remembers how little DD and Pacioretty played together in 2015? It was Galchenyuk on his line at the start of the year for 15 games and soon it was Plekanec for the rest of the season and most of the playoffs aside from a game here or there.

If we just count games from January to May I'm pretty sure Galchenyuk played as Desharnais' wing more than Pacioretty.

Desharnais still spent a lot of time with Pacioretty. I had a similar thought but when I went to put Desharnais' Fantasy Focus piece together, I noticed the two were together more than 60% of the season, probably closer to 65-70%. Yes, more at the beginning than the end but even in the back half, they were on the same line a lot.

Here's a look at Desharnais' most common linemates and when they played together: http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/2014-15/regseason/forw_51DD.html

If you look at the little graph beside the combos, from around games 51 through 75, Desharnais and Pacioretty played together a lot with either Gallagher, Parenteau, or Weise on the RW. It was only after that time that Plekanec became Pacioretty's regular C, something that lasted for pretty much the rest of the year.

Here's Galchenyuk's table for anyone interested as well: http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/2014-15/regseason/forw_27AG.html

Guest Stogey24

This team will not win a cup with Desharnais as our top line centre. I still think Bergevin is going to pull the trigger on something