What would it take?

Trizzak

I wouldn't make the trade either, based on AG's potential, but either would LAK based on the dominant two way player Kopitar is today. The entire LAK team under performed last year, so you can't go by last years numbers alone.

I see Kopitar as Toews light and would make that deal in a hearbeat for Toews, but would get laughed off by Stan Bowman.

Then you don't make that trade cause it is a loser. I like Kopitar but not that much. In 2 years everyone would be crying how we lost Galchenyuk.

Let's say the Kings suck this year, Kopitar says he's going to test free agency and that's why the Kings are trading him. And like Vanek there's little guarantee he stays in Montreal. What do you offer the Kings then For a rental Kopitar?

MB sneaks in the back door and picks him for a 2nd, just like Vanek. :)

Let's say the Kings suck this year, Kopitar says he's going to test free agency and that's why the Kings are trading him. And like Vanek there's little guarantee he stays in Montreal. What do you offer the Kings then For a rental Kopitar?

Plekanec Emelin and a first. Then hope to hell you can sign him.

Skinner is interesting because he just came off a very bad year. And yet he can score 30 goals. You'd have to think Carolina would not sell low on a guy like skinner for one bad year. Likely a swap with a similarly struggling player would be the most likely possibility.

They'd ask for Kassian and one of our top prospect at the least.

Guest Stogey24

Nobody off of Carolina hit their potential last year. One of the reasons I think Semin's number from last year mean nothing

Sorry to say, Semin's production and year cant si ply be dismissed. A struggling team with no big payroll, sits him often and then shell's out huge $$ simply to be rid of him, when they will suck again this year with or without him.

If he can get 15+g this year I would be surprised. But for $1.1m worth risk for sure and maybe he will click with Galchenyuk & Eller?

Skinner was my favourite non-Spitfire when the Spits were winning championships. When Kitchener would play Windsor it'd be a tough battle because Skinner was so good. He'd outplay Hall every time they faced.

His injuries scare me a bit but I'd bring him in if Carolina was willing to take cap back.

We don't speak of that name round here no more

That is probably why I can't remember the little mexican worms name that resides in the bottle of a good bottle of tequila. It does have a name doesn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, time for a new one. I know this has been brought up a bit in previous threads but I'm going to throw it into this one as well.

-Eric Stall

Last year of his contract, no guarantee you can resign him and the Canes are rebuilding, probably not the way he wants to finish out the last productive years of his career. He'll be 31 before November. Also, how do you think the price will change as we get deeper into the season and the rental time becomes shorter. We all remember the last minute deal on Vanek.

Since Carolina is building for the future, I'm going to say the deal starts with a 1st rounder which isn't so bad as Montreal's will likely be towards the end of the round, plus a decent prospect but nothing crazy like a MaCarron or Sherbak because this is still a rental after all. Carolina would probably be happy to save some cash as well. Last but not least, Stall has a no move clause so assuming he is interested in Montreal that could help bring the price down as well.

OK, time for a new one. I know this has been brought up a bit in previous threads but I'm going to throw it into this one as well.

-Eric Stall

Last year of his contract, no guarantee you can resign him and the Canes are rebuilding, probably not the way he wants to finish out the last productive years of his career. He'll be 31 before November. Also, how do you think the price will change as we get deeper into the season and the rental time becomes shorter. We all remember the last minute deal on Vanek.

Since Carolina is building for the future, I'm going to say the deal starts with a 1st rounder which isn't so bad as Montreal's will likely be towards the end of the round, plus a decent prospect but nothing crazy like a MaCarron or Sherbak because this is still a rental after all. Carolina would probably be happy to save some cash as well. Last but not least, Stall has a no move clause so assuming he is interested in Montreal that could help bring the price down as well.

If you consider Staal to be a legitimate #1 C, one of McCarron or Scherbak will absolutely be part of the asking price on top of the first rounder. While those two are among Montreal's top prospects, by no means are they in the upper echelon of prospects around the league. League-wide, they're 'decent' prospects. Then add a cap dump to offset some of the salary. At this point, Staal doesn't appear to be interested in moving so if he does go, it'll be during the season when more teams can afford to add him.

As much as I liked/hated Stall whenever the Habs played Carolina, I don't think he is the force he used to be, and I don't think the Habs would overpay for him.

If Bergevin is giving up a 1st and one of our better prospects, I hope it's for a younger and more inspired player than Stall...

I think we've had McDenough of this one.

Ha! Agreed, but I just wanted to pitch in here with a small thought. I get that McDonagh is a better overall player than Jeff Petry (on a cheaper cap hit, incredibly! - but McDonagh probably would have wanted a higher salary in Montreal to compensate for the taxes, so the cap differential likely would not have been realized had he stayed with us). Nonetheless, the acquisition of Petry pretty much covers the organizational hole created by that disastrous trade.

So what I'm saying is that, in the long run, we ended up with Petry rather than McDonagh. Sure, we'd rather have McDonagh, but looked at that way, we no longer have any cause to feel gutted.