2015 Fantasy Focus series

dlbalr

I think many are expecting more offense from Petry than 5g and I guess I am in that crowd. Not near the 20 Subban will get but more than 5.

I'm hoping I'm low there but Petry has done this enough to make me think there's enough of an established track record to expect more of the same. I've had Petry in pools for a few years now expecting him to take that next step and been surprised when he didn't. So now, I expect the opposite and will be surprised if he puts up a lot of points.

He's going to be at best the third highest point getter on the blueline, assuming Subban and Markov stay healthy. Here are the point totals for the 3rd highest scoring D in past years:

14-15: Emelin/Gonchar - 14

13-14: Emelin - 17

12-13: lockout shortened season

11-12: Weber - 18

10-11: Hamrlik - 34

09-10: Hamrlik - 26

08-09: Gorges - 23

07-08: Hamrlik - 26

If you look at recent years, it's only the big two that seem to put up a lot of points. And if you think Beaulieu is going to take a step forward (he could double his point output from last season from 9 to 18), there just aren't going to be a ton of scoring opportunities for Petry.

No D pairing plays more PP TOI:G than Markov/Subban.

That said, Petry only had four powerplay points last season out of 26 points. He's never played with good defencemen around him like he gets to in Montreal and he hit his stride with us in the playoffs.

I still think the best place for the second pairing is Markov-Petry. Let Subban work with Emelin or Beaulieu on the even strength.

Also, only the top #3 D in the league put up 25+ points. Guys like Ryan Ellis and Brodie are rare. If Petry is in that company, that means we unquestionably have one of the top three best D in the league for offensive scoring.

Here is the write up for Markov: http://www.habsworld.net/2015/09/fantasy-focus-andrei-markov-2/

Is there anyone else that's worth doing an individual profile on? Any player that doesn't have one will still get a mention in a 'rest of the team' piece.

I'd enjoy a piece about Beaulieu and/or Petry.

Would not use them in a fantasy pool, but would like your take on their projected stats for this season...

I'd enjoy a piece about Beaulieu and/or Petry.

Would not use them in a fantasy pool, but would like your take on their projected stats for this season...

I'd have Beaulieu roughly doubling his point total from last year, or something around 18 points. I see him cutting into some 2nd line PP minutes, nothing on the PK though. I also don't envision him playing with Subban like many are hoping for. At best, he jumps to the second pairing but I wouldn't be shocked to see him in a 16 minute role to start (in part because I expect Markov to get big minutes at the start). Unlike Petry though, he doesn't have other stats that stand out to warrant an article about him this year.

I'll have my own projections later in training camp...assuming I remember to do them. (I'll be into the prospect rankings by then and they have a tendency to take up a lot of my time.)

• Upvote 1

How much rope would you say Tokarski has? If he happened to let in some soft ones in his first start or two (or outplayed in pre-season), would Condon be a realistic option, even if might be best for his development he should stay in AHL as a #1?

Guest Stogey24

Habs have 16 back to back games this year, so hopefully Toke has better season .

The team never played great in front of him to be fair though

How much rope would you say Tokarski has? If he happened to let in some soft ones in his first start or two (or outplayed in pre-season), would Condon be a realistic option, even if might be best for his development he should stay in AHL as a #1?

That's more of a general question than a fantasy one so I'll tackle that here instead of the mailbag.

A lot depends on what the plan for Fucale is. If they want him playing as much as possible in the AHL as soon as possible, the odds of Condon moving up increase a fair bit regardless of what Tokarski does. There's very little difference between Condon and Tokarski right now; the main difference is that the latter needs waivers and is on a one-way deal. I think the Habs might be more comfortable with Tokarski as the IceCaps' backup than Condon believe it or not; if you're going to be sitting your backup of the near future, you might as well have him at least practicing with the big club.

If it comes down to a training camp battle, Tokarski has probably earned a bit of rope despite a so-so season. If he really struggles in the preseason then they may have Condon as the backup right away but they may give Tokarski a couple of starts to give him a chance to re-prove himself if that happens.

And if they want Fucale and Condon to both play starters minutes (Condon with St. John's, Fucale with Brampton - I'm in favour of this option personally at least to start the year), Tokarski can just about fall flat on his face in preseason and still get the #2 job.

Ok thanks.

I wasn't sure where to put it, kinda sorta seemed 'fantasy' related, maybe should have a 'general Habs' 15-16 season thread or something like that?

I imagine if Tokarski has a bad preseason game or two and Condon does well, there will be a 'Who should be backup?' thread before too long.