Captaincy Discussion

DON

I dont have a successful track record at gambling, but your on!

No way Bergy ignores a nice PR opportunity after/during team golf tourney this year and they will put debate to bed.

No way Bergy ignores a nice PR opportunity after/during team golf tourney this year and they will put debate to bed.

It will be interesting.

I have no problem with the status quo. I would prefer Subban to be captain but something tells me Max will be the captain to appease him with his cap friendly contract. My vote however would be no captain as the team's chemistry is excellent

Horsehockey!

You are only talking about one or two players, Markov wants no part of it, Price cant have it, Plekanec is upcoming UFA...so flip a coin on the last two probable options.

And neither of those two could argue the other isn't deserving, both are locked up as a Hab for years, so upsetting the applecart is quite a minor issue.

The problem with choosing a captain is they will have to take the A away from somebody, potentially ######ing with team chemistry by pissing off one of their core players.

From everything I've read, the team leadership is a committee. If one of those committee members gets a C, I doubt the rest will throw a fit and rebel.

Horsehockey!

You are only talking about one or two players, Markov wants no part of it, Price cant have it, Plekanec is upcoming UFA...so flip a coin on the last two probable options.

And neither of those two could argue the other isn't deserving, both are locked up as a Hab for years, so upsetting the applecart is quite a minor issue.

Patches and Subban are 2 of our best players, I would say # 2and #3 or more likely 2a and 2a1. Pissing one them off or offending them would not be a minor issue in any way shape or form. Why take the risk? To follow tradition? Not worth it.

How on earth could PK possibly get pissy about Max being made captain and him being passed over? It's blatantly obvious why that decision makes sense. I assume the conversation would be a short one.

PK: Hey, MB...why Max and not me?

MB: Seriously, you have to ask? A big part of the Captain's role is to communicate with the referees...and to do that, the refs must respect the captain. Most of the refs in this league don't like you, PK...look how many bullshit penalties get called on you, and how many infractions against you are non-calls.

PK: You have a good point there, boss.

If the Habs won the cup without a designated "C", I don't think there's any doubt who should hoist the cup first - Price - And it would be extremely fitting. Personally I'm not yet clamouring for someone to take the captaincy, however Subban and Pacioretty are definitely great options.

How on earth could PK possibly get pissy about Max being made captain and him being passed over? It's blatantly obvious why that decision makes sense. I assume the conversation would be a short one.

PK: Hey, MB...why Max and not me?

MB: Seriously, you have to ask? A big part of the Captain's role is to communicate with the referees...and to do that, the refs must respect the captain. Most of the refs in this league don't like you, PK...look how many bullshit penalties get called on you, and how many infractions against you are non-calls.

PK: You have a good point there, boss.

If you are responding to my post, I think you missed the point. I never said they would, I just said if they did, it would be no small matter. If you were not responding to my post then never mind. :)

If one of them did...too bad and if want to sulk over not be named captain, then is a good thing he wasn't named captain, correct?

Even Cammalleri, a guy you irrationally hate, didn't complain at all when Gionta was named captain even when Cammy was campaigning for the C.

If one of them did...too bad and if want to sulk over not be named captain, then is a good thing he wasn't named captain, correct?

These are both very proud guys, would only be natural to be hurt by such a decision. I say wait, why the rush?

Rush, it's been since july of 2014 with no captain. Wouldn't really classify that as rushing and wait for what?

(I agree it is of minor importance, but still will be done deal in 5 weeks or so and what other dead horse is there to beat in August?)

Rush, it's been since july of 2014 with no captain. Wouldn't really classify that as rushing and wait for what?

(I agree it is of minor importance, but still will be done deal in 5 weeks or so and what other dead horse is there to beat in August?)

That I totally agree with.

Price is the captain anyway. Who cares. Put the c on Youppi and call er a day.

Hey that's not a bad plan can he skate? Can he play goal? do we have a potential new back up goalie? Damn goalie can't be captain oh well.

There's this one when everyone gets tired of the captain debate... (If only I could upload this, it could come in handy when some of the inevitable player bashing gets out of hand...)

smiley_beat_dead_horse2.gif

• Upvote 2

There's this one when everyone gets tired of the captain debate... (If only I could upload this, it could come in handy when some of the inevitable player bashing gets out of hand...)

smiley_beat_dead_horse2.gif

Yeah we could really use that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Well looks like you called it to a t, Don. Congrats looks like I will be oweing you a lemon drop. :)

Preference is Price

Heart says Subban

Betting on Pacioretty

Indeed. Price is, as everyone knows, the team's real leader - the guy that holds the room in awed respect. But after the Luongo debacle in Van, it won't be a goalie.

It won't be Subban either. The old-school people running the team know his worth, but are unlikely to reward the brash kid with the C. And they are probably always on guard against swelling his ego beyond its already-massive proportions.

Patches has played by all the 'good boy' NHL rules and was a moral leader on the team by virtue of his stellar two-way play last season, adding a dimension to his game that he didn't need to add. It's his to lose.