Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Sports taxes are not different. They are based on residency.

Where your place of work is doesnt matter. Its where your residency is.

There are tax treaties between the us and canada... they dont differentiate for sports

This was what you stated. Quite plainly telling me I was wrong. You were wrong. The games that a us resident plays in canada are taxed as canadian. Deal with it. He would be taxed for his canadian games because he is employed by a Canadian company. The games he plays in the US would be taxed as a US resident. I am not arguing that it has advantages. I am contesting that you said where you work does not matter when clearly it does.

This was what you stated. Quite plainly telling me I was wrong. You were wrong. The games that a us resident plays in canada are taxed as canadian. Deal with it. He would be taxed for his canadian games because he is employed by a Canadian company. The games he plays in the US would be taxed as a US resident. I am not arguing that it has advantages. I am contesting that you said where you work does not matter when clearly it does.

The only thing that matters is the rate... and if you are taxed at source and get that money back via a foreign tax credit, who cares? As long as its in your pocket.

The whole article is a hypothetical about if the government should re-write the treaty and stop the practice of allowing the athletes who are residents in the US to be taxed at the US rate with use of the foreign tax credit.

My interpretation is that the foreign tax credit is the method by which the worker recovers his US portion due to double taxation. Last word I guess. Neither of us are accountants so wasted time arguing. Next subject.

At least we have picks in that fine Canadian institution, the Draft.

Tomorrow find out if my Cowboys take RB Ezekiel Elliott, or CB Jalen Ramsey with 4th pick.

One bonus when star player goes down with long term injury, is you get to add a skilled prospect for next year.

Radulov is going to follow the money like he always does. Whoever pays him the most will get his services. I agree with HR that Bergevin likely doesn't want him because of his character.

Edited by John B

No way MB wants Character.

last summer he signed Semin and Traded for kassian

Character seems like a buzzword... kinda like when Burke said truculence and then traded for phil kessel.

That said, if the price was right, heck yes i'd sign him. He's been a scorer in the NHL, and has continued to score in Russia. this isn't a guy who has questions about his decline.

• Upvote 1

We need someone to play wing in the top 6, we're not exactly in the position to be picky. If Radulov wants to play in Montreal and the term and cap hit isn't too crazy, I'd love to have him.

Guest Stogey24

last summer he signed Semin and Traded for kassian

Character seems like a buzzword... kinda like when Burke said truculence and then traded for phil kessel.

That said, if the price was right, heck yes i'd sign him. He's been a scorer in the NHL, and has continued to score in Russia. this isn't a guy who has questions about his decline.

Those two signings might be the exact reason Bergevin wants no part of Radulov

We need someone to play wing in the top 6, we're not exactly in the position to be picky. If Radulov wants to play in Montreal and the term and cap hit isn't too crazy, I'd love to have him.

I'm inclined to agree. Stogey's got a point, though - Marky Mark might be gunshy after the Semin/Kassian debacles. Then again, the third time might be the charm...

The Habs are reportedly one of a couple of teams interested in former Florida 6th rounder (2012) Francis Beauvillier. He went unsigned by the Panthers and has spent the last two years in Canadian university hockey. I would imagine this would be on an AHL deal as I can't see them being willing to commit a two year ELC to him.

http://www.hockeylemagazine.com/fr/publication/blogue/francis_beauvillier_courtise_par_le_canadien_mais.html

Radulov made 9.2 million in the KHL last 4 years. I doubt he is going to sign for cheap here. And at 6 or 7 million that is a big risk. Would he still be an rfa if he comes back?

Guest Stogey24

Only way I can understand what you mean here is that Bergevin is cheap and would prefer guys under $2M over a guy who actually has the talent to play in our top six.

The point is that Bergevin took on two players with "character issues" and both failed miserably. I doubt he takes that risk again, especially with a guy he's going to have to over pay for.

Radulov made 9.2 million in the KHL last 4 years. I doubt he is going to sign for cheap here. And at 6 or 7 million that is a big risk. Would he still be an rfa if he comes back?

No. Radulov is a UFA now (he's 29). If he were still RFA eligible, it would be Nashville or bust.

The point is that Bergevin took on two players with "character issues" and both failed miserably. I doubt he takes that risk again, especially with a guy he's going to have to over pay for.

Right, because they were both players that cost around a million bucks with one year contracts. The whole point was low risk, high reward. They ended up low risk, no reward.

If he's going to turn his nose up over a guy like Radulov who had a curfew violation like four years ago, he should admit now that he's not willing to win a Cup in Montreal. That kind of attitude is asking to be mediocre.