Gallant named Head Coach in Florida (pg. 3)

dlbalr

Can we please all just accept that - barring some total meltdown - MT is here for at least another two years? And you know, deservedly so. Folks can quibble with his in-game decisions and I've been concerned about the lack of progression from young players over the regular season this year, but the bottom line is the team has achieved or exceeded its potential in both of his seasons as coach. Only a nut-bar GM would consider jettisoning him.

I never said he is going to get fired tomorrow, and 2 years is plenty long enough to have an assistant pay atteneion. But Brian is right again, Hamilton is probably where the next coach should be. And there will be a next coach. It will be interesting to see how MT does now, his shelf life is fairly short before the players begin tuning him out, we will see.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care one way or the other about Gallant. He seems sort of like a poor man's Muller, and his face just isn't as likeable as Daigneault's. There could be someone better out there who could really get through to Chucky.

On 24CH one time he came in the room after a bad period and shouted some platitudes, and Budaj cracked, "See, Gorgy's job isn't so hard."

I'm pretty sure Vancouver will lunge at Bylsma, as they should.

Never underestimate our climate, lack of income tax, and low pressure market. I don't see Bylsma in Vancouver, that market/team is a major crap-show. The Panthers are making some headway on their rebuild with the number one pick, or trade, and I don't think he wants to be a part of an aging roster that is just starting to rebuild.

A lot probably depends on what Bylsma is looking for. If he wants a team with a veteran roster with some legit talent that maybe has some sort of chance at a "rebound" season and playoff contention, then Van is it. If he does indeed want to go among palm trees where nobody cares about hockey and get in on the ground floor of yet another rebuild in FLA, then obviously he goes south. Neither option is self-evident IMHO - both have problems, but Van gives him the best chance to be competitive right now.

Never underestimate our climate, lack of income tax, and low pressure market. I don't see Bylsma in Vancouver, that market/team is a major crap-show. The Panthers are making some headway on their rebuild with the number one pick, or trade, and I don't think he wants to be a part of an aging roster that is just starting to rebuild.

With Pittsburgh firing Bylsma today, there are rumblings that he will vault to the top of Florida's list.

I honestly wouldn't mind Gerard going away, I don't think he is that good. But hey I could be wrong. I mean we already have a genius behind the bench don't we?

Jean Jacques Daigneault is a genius? Cool! :clap:

Did not know that.

More like Savant..... :halm:

Like Rainman.....

Right on, I liked that movie. :nuts:

I have never called Therrien a genius, just not a total maroon as Berkshire and many claim.

And if winning is good, he/team have done well since the takeover. (go ahead and say 'no cup yet' so still a loser and I would say that it could be worse, could be a Leaf fan!)

Naw, EOTP says he's a buffoon, he must be....Betcha Berkshire and his groupies can prove you wrong with death by stats..... because stats have all the answers, and can prove anything, and those events always happen, variables, smariables.....

Don't believe me, just ask them! :crazy:

I did comment on there before, but they didn't appreciate my point of view.

At least no one here advocated for tanking end of season or missing playoffs, just so Bergevin-Therrien get fired.

Which seemed very illogical and quite unrealistic, but seemed to be popular opinion on that site, so I try and avoid it like plague now due to constant bitterness/whining/negativity (cept when dlbalr posts links on main homepage of course)

I did comment on there before, but they didn't appreciate my point of view.

At least no one here advocated for tanking end of season or missing playoffs, just so Bergevin-Therrien get fired.

Which seemed very illogical and quite unrealistic, but seemed to be popular opinion on that site, so I try and avoid it like plague now due to constant bitterness/whining/negativity (cept when dlbalr posts links on main homepage of course)

Anybody who wants Bergevin fired is an idiot. IMHO

That was my point of view; but I also promoted a certain coach which seemed to also strike a nerve, but the main EOTP dude basically said "he could manage team better than Bergevin has and he is running team into the ground with dumb decisions, here are the stats that say so and if don't agree you are an idiot". Also he was bickering with some as to who claimed the Habs sucked first and he said he was all over dumb moves 1st and that the Habs were winning but will fade "the stats about puck possession says so!"

How can you, or why bother to argue with that?

That was my point of view; but I also promoted a certain coach which seemed to also strike a nerve, but the main EOTP dude basically said "he could manage team better than Bergevin has and he is running team into the ground with dumb decisions, here are the stats that say so and if don't agree you are an idiot". Also he was bickering with some as to who claimed the Habs sucked first and he said he was all over dumb moves 1st and that the Habs were winning but will fade "the stats about puck possession says so!"

How can you, or why bother to argue with that?

No one is so blind as he will not see, hear or speak. :P

But, but, but Don, you cannot argue with stats! :rofl:

The problem becomes in the interpretation of the stats.... an idiot, will always be an idiot, and manipulate stats on average to talk themselves into thinking they are right, no matter what. Those stat guys are impossible, and usually wrong, lmfao!

No further updates on Florida-Gallant?

Not that a big deal, but curious?

(am sure advanced stats show some correlations, but Win-Loss record surely trumps all?)

No further updates on Florida-Gallant?

Not that a big deal, but curious?

Bylsma being out there likely has delayed things a bit as every team with a vacancy will probably try to speak with him. We also don't know yet if any of the coaches that are still coaching (NYR/LA/STJ/TEX) are on Florida's radar.

Florida has reportedly cut their short list to 6 coaches, Gallant is among them. The others are Dan Bylsma, Tom Renney, Bill Peters, Marc Crawford, and Ron Wilson (the former Leaf, not the former Bulldog).

https://twitter.com/hfialkov/status/476433830996639744

Out of that group it does not seem to be a hard decision, Bylsma all the way, however there are rumours that Vancouver want him badly.

Out of that group it does not seem to be a hard decision, Bylsma all the way, however there are rumours that Vancouver want him badly.

I guarantee you that Van is going cowabunga for Bylsma. They will do everything in their power to lock him up.