Gorges trade rumour - What/Who do we get from Toronto?

Meller93

You're really not basing this on Bogosian's play for the last two seasons.

Nope. THe Jets, Oilers, Isles and Sabres are a black hole for player development. In better organizations, BOgasian, Kane, Yakapov, Grigs, Myers are better players. Neideriter already showed how getting out of the islanders circus , Neiderriter showed this past year how a player can instantly improve getting out of the island.

My thinking is Zoot Suit has a deal for Byfuglien ($5.2M/year) and he wants to move Gorges out to make room cap-wise and space wise. Going to Winnipeg is Plex and Tinordi.

My thinking is Zoot Suit has a deal for Byfuglien ($5.2M/year) and he wants to move Gorges out to make room cap-wise and space wise. Going to Winnipeg is Plex and Tinordi.

We would have probably heard about Plekanec refusing a trade to Winnipeg by now like we have with Gorges.

Gorges has been the glue holding our defense corps together. He's one of the top 5 defensive, stay-at-home D's in the league, and blocks shots like nobody else.

Now, does that mean we shouldn't move him? Not at all. But we need someone else to do his job.

We don't have that right now.

People keep saying Tinordi/Beaulieu, but neither of those guys is ready. We should keep one up, to GET them ready, but if we dress both regularly for the season, we'll have the most porous, horrible defense in the league. I don't know who MB has in mind to replace JG, but I hope he has another solid stay-at-home D-man lined up and ready to go if he manages to pull the trigger on this.

If Gorges was making $2.5M or even under $3M, he would be worth keeping as a bottom pairing Dman. For a guy making almost $4M/year he doesn't fit as a bottom pairing dman in a cap system. If he is a top 4 dman, we are going to continue being close, but not good enough.

my friend tells me that Bob Mackenzie just tweeted that apparently the guy coming to Montreal would be Phaneuf. Apparently the habs would be sending Gorges and a draft pick??

Don't know what i think about this???

my friend tells me that Bob Mackenzie just tweeted that apparently the guy coming to Montreal would be Phaneuf. Apparently the habs would be sending Gorges and a draft pick??

Your friend is lying or following a fake Bob McKenzie.

Holy pass bottle to me.....

We would have probably heard about Plekanec refusing a trade to Winnipeg by now like we have with Gorges.

I can't see the jets interested in anyone other then Gorges/Pleks, to fill their leaderhship need, Gallaghar (compete level), MaxPac/Subban (elite scorer/dman), Galchenyuk (future superstar), or Price (top 5 goaltender). There's no way i'd trade anyone but Gorges, Pleks from that group.

Our core going forward needs to be the following, who I wouldn't part with, unless it was part of a pacakge for someone with the skill level of a Tavares Malkin, Toews or Duschane:

-Subban

-Price

-MaxPac

-Galchenyuk

-Gallagher

God no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!! I'd gladly take Phaneuf at Gorges salary, no way at Phaneufs deal - unless the leafs are going to eat at least $2.5M. If we are going after $7M/7 years of Phaneuf, after just signing Markov, that signals to me that MB is thinking of moving Subban. :wall::wall: :wall: :wall::wall:

Your friend is lying or following a fake Bob McKenzie.

thats what I was thinking, but he says its the real Bobby Mac!!!

God no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!! I'd gladly take Phaneuf at Gorges salary, no way at Phaneufs deal - unless the leafs are going to eat at least $2.5M. If we are going after $7M/7 years of Phaneuf, after just signing Markov, that signals to me that MB is thinking of moving Subban. :wall::wall: :wall: :wall::wall:

i think MB would get shot in the streets of Montreal if he were to trade subban!!! No way he could even be thinking of pulling the trigger on that kind of deal!

thats what I was thinking, but he says its the real Bobby Mac!!!

I have the real Bob McKenzie on Twitter. Just looked at his account. Nothing on Phaneuf. As a matter of fact, not a single reputable source has said a word about what Toronto would send in return for Josh Gorges.

If Gorges was making $2.5M or even under $3M, he would be worth keeping as a bottom pairing Dman. For a guy making almost $4M/year he doesn't fit as a bottom pairing dman in a cap system. If he is a top 4 dman, we are going to continue being close, but not good enough.

Except he was our #1 pairing guy.

If you don't think he belonged there, look at how badly PK Subban played while Gorges was hurt this year... PK went from being our best to our worst defenseman for a couple weeks.

For PK to perform well, you need a guy with Gorge's skill set on a line with him. You can't pair him with a Markov, or even an Ehrhoff or a Niskanen. For PK to work his magic, you need your best defensive D-man sitting opposite him.

Gorges was perfect in that role because (1) There's no better defensive stay-at-home D-man in the league, (2) He's fast and can move the puck so he doesn't hold up the offense. Those two traits combined will be hard to come by in another D-man.

Except he was our #1 pairing guy.

If you don't think he belonged there, look at how badly PK Subban played while Gorges was hurt this year... PK went from being our best to our worst defenseman for a couple weeks.

For PK to perform well, you need a guy with Gorge's skill set on a line with him. You can't pair him with a Markov, or even an Ehrhoff or a Niskanen. For PK to work his magic, you need your best defensive D-man sitting opposite him.

Gorges was perfect in that role because (1) There's no better defensive stay-at-home D-man in the league, (2) He's fast and can move the puck so he doesn't hold up the offense. Those two traits combined will be hard to come by in another D-man.

Part of our problem is that Gorges is considered our best defensive Dman.

Phaneuf :rofl: Everybody needs to settle down...suddenly we've entered a world where Phaneuf is coming aboard and we're dumping PK. I'm pretty sure it'll be more banal than that. Chill and let's see what happens! This has been a fun day so far!

Phaneuf :rofl: Everybody needs to settle down...suddenly we've entered a world where Phaneuf is coming aboard and we're dumping PK. I'm pretty sure it'll be more banal than that. Chill and let's see what happens! This has been a fun day so far!

It started as a fun day (Breiere gone, report that we are moving Gorges) and then phaneuf's name came up. That brought blocked up memories of Gainey's madness!!!

I have the real Bob McKenzie on Twitter. Just looked at his account. Nothing on Phaneuf. As a matter of fact, not a single reputable source has said a word about what Toronto would send in return for Josh Gorges.

I sure hope you're right. Tomorrow is gonna be a batshit crazy day!!!

I sure hope you're right. Tomorrow is gonna be a batshit crazy day!!!

I'm actually all over Twitter right now trying to find which fake Bob McKenzie account stated it. I'm finding people repeating the rumour but it's not on Bob's Twitter and the best fake I found was Josh Gorges for Nail Yakupov.

Real Update: Josh Gorges has updated his list and it still does not include the Toronto Maple Leafs. He's a Hab until the end. Thank you Josh.

I'm actually all over Twitter right now trying to find which fake Bob McKenzie account stated it. I'm finding people repeating the rumour but it's not on Bob's Twitter and the best fake I found was Josh Gorges for Nail Yakupov.

Real Update: Josh Gorges has updated his list and it still does not include the Toronto Maple Leafs. He's a Hab until the end. Thank you Josh.

Ha ha, God love him!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the update. Its nice to see some players who actually want to play for the habs!!!

• Upvote 1

"I want people to know that I never wanted to leave Montreal," he said in interviews with Dave Stubbs of The Montreal Gazette and J-F Chaumont of Le Journal de Montreal on Monday. "I have never asked for a trade - this is (general manager) Marc Bergevin's call. I am in shock."

"This is really hard to accept," Gorges added to both Montreal papers. "I have always given my heart to this team."