Habs sign Tom Gilbert

dlbalr

dlbalr says Habs likely will only have something like 3 or 4 million to play with once Subban/Eller signed and all said and done, so unlikely any moderately pricey UFA will be signed

(unless some GM will take Bourque???)

dlbalr says Habs likely will only have something like 3 or 4 million to play with once Subban/Eller signed and all said and done, so unlikely any moderately pricey UFA will be signed

(unless some GM will take Bourque???)

Or Budaj gets dealt as a result of them signing MacDonald today (with Tokarski taking the #2 job behind Price). That would free up close to a million which might be the difference.

Or Budaj gets dealt as a result of them signing MacDonald today (with Tokarski taking the #2 job behind Price). That would free up close to a million which might be the difference.

Budaj is almost certainly done, with signing MacDonald today, they are basically signing their AHL starter, and likely see Tokarski as an upgrade in the back up role, leaving Budaj on the outs.

We did not get worse. If Gorges is so good, then why did he only command a 2nd round pick? When he got hurt this year for a long stretch, did the Habs sink?

Look, I like Gorges but I think you're thinking with your heart rather than your head. Gilbert gives us much needed size, a right-handed shot, a power play option and is $1.1M cheaper per year (for 2 shorter years on contract length). It's a good signing, and we also got Weaver for depth.

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Gilbert

Weaver - Beaulieu

Tinordi

I really don't think we've gotten weaker at all.

Good comment. Gorges was over-rated. Great heart but not much talent. He could not get the puck out of the zone and could not play physical either. I know that he blocked a lot of shots, but this stat also tells us that the puck remains in our zone while is on the ice. It's great to get a more mobile, more physical, right-handed defenseman for less money and a shorter term. Let's face it, a 2nd round draft pick is all we could get for Gorges. That's how he was rated in the league.

The big plus is also that MT will be able to move Emelin on the left side, where he should always play.

Now, I really hope that Plekanec is the next player to leave. At $5 million per year he is too expensive. It is time to move Chucky to center. Desharnais, Eller and Malhotra will complete the equation. If we can get a serious prospect at that position for no. 14 it would be great, but I doubt it. Maybe a free agent to add some depth. Let's see.

Personally, I don't get this "trade Pleks" argument. If he is overpaid, it's by about $500 000 at most. What is the screaming hurry to eliminate core pieces? Only if you think Eller is ready do you move Pleks. Pleks ate huge minutes, lined up successfully against every other team's best player night after night, and is both reliably healthy and reliably productive (20-25 goals annually). Mr. Dependable. Eller had 26 points, was a -15, was an absolutely useless piece of crap from November to April, and has never - not once - had a consistently productive NHL season. Mr. Unreliable. If that's your idea of a Pleks replacement then you are confusing Pleks with Kyle Chipchura.

Pleks is "overpaid" on this board because so many people undervalue defense.

If Pleks were still getting 70 points a season, they wouldn't be complaining. But Plekanec is a MUCH better player now, than he was when he was putting up 70 points a season.

Give me a legitimate shut-down defensive player getting 50 points over a 70 point floater like Vanek any day. They are worth more, and they help you win more. Yes, you need some offense, too, but the heart and soul of the team - the guys you can't win without, are the guys who kill penalties and play when you've got a 1-2 goal lead in the third period, not the guy who scored the hat-trick to get you there.

• Upvote 1

If you believe that Galchenyuk has a future playing center in Montreal, somebody has to go. Obviously it won't be DD, because of his contract. I would be surprised to see Eller go too. He is still young and is value is low. MB would not get much for him. It leaves no. 14. I don't see another outcome.

If you believe that Galchenyuk has a future playing center in Montreal, somebody has to go. Obviously it won't be DD, because of his contract. I would be surprised to see Eller go too. He is still young and is value is low. MB would not get much for him. It leaves no. 14. I don't see another outcome.

It's a matter of timing. I don't think Galy is ready for C duties yet - he is still too easily outmuscled and questionable in his own end. It remains hugely chancy to roll the dice on Eller given his abysmal play for almost all of last season. Wait until either of them is consistently pushing Pleks and/or DD and then pull the trigger. Do it too soon and you leave a gigantic vacuum in the heart of the roster.

It's a matter of timing. I don't think Galy is ready for C duties yet - he is still too easily outmuscled and questionable in his own end. It remains hugely chancy to roll the dice on Eller given his abysmal play for almost all of last season. Wait until either of them is consistently pushing Pleks and/or DD and then pull the trigger. Do it too soon and you leave a gigantic vacuum in the heart of the roster.

It makes a lot of sense, but my opinion is that we are getting very close to decision time. Chucky will have to play center sooner or later. I would prefer sooner.

I see that a lot here, too.

"We have to move defensemen to make room for Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn!"

"We have to move Plekanec to make room for Galchenyuk!"

No. It doesn't work that way...not on a contending team, anyway.

If they are worth their salary, they will play their way onto a roster spot and displace other players, who then get moved because they're no longer worth what we're paying them. You don't move the roster players first and throw up a hail-mary pass in hopes the kids will catch it.

When you think you can contend, you don't play people "for the future." You always play the best player for the position right now.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I don't get this "trade Pleks" argument. If he is overpaid, it's by about $500 000 at most. What is the screaming hurry to eliminate core pieces? Only if you think Eller is ready do you move Pleks. Pleks ate huge minutes, lined up successfully against every other team's best player night after night, and is both reliably healthy and reliably productive (20-25 goals annually). Mr. Dependable. Eller had 26 points, was a -15, was an absolutely useless piece of crap from November to April, and has never - not once - had a consistently productive NHL season. Mr. Unreliable. If that's your idea of a Pleks replacement then you are confusing Pleks with Kyle Chipchura.

Totally agree. I think Plex is too valuable to trade IMO. I would rather see Eller go (if we're making room at centre for Galchenyuk).

In fact, I hope Zoot Suit is trying to make a trade involving Eller and Moen/Budaj. Both Budaj and Moen are expendable now that Tokarski and Bournival have taken their spots if last year's playoffs are anything to go by.