The Next Captain

Commandant

It wasn't that long ago that the Habs didn't have a captain. Given that their captain and one of the alternates is gone, I could see them again going without one. Plekanec, Markov, and someone else would wear the A's. Pacioretty/Prust both wore them briefly when injuries struck so the early guess would be that one of them would be the third as things stand.

I don't see them giving the captaincy to a youngster such as Gallagher or Subban. Maybe one gets an A if injuries strike but at this stage, I suspect they'll lean on the veterans.

Well, ideally a captain is captain for a LONG time. Get them too old, and that won't happen.

On the other hand, you want a veteran who shows leadership.

Max Pacioretty has is now a 6 season NHL veteran, all with the Habs, with World Cup and Olympic experience, an absolute iron-man when it comes to injury recovery, and the team's best goal scorer. Despite this, he's only 25 years old.

I'd be completely comfortable making Max PaCioretty.

If it's true he never turned it down, it should goto Andrei Markov. He should wear a G for General.

Next choice would be PK Subban, and given to him at the press conference when he signs an eight year deal.

Finally, I have a feeling if it went to team vote the choice would be Prust.

Cant see Subban being captain, he has trouble keeping focused on his own game.

Why would he be captain, because he is a superstar? Captains generally are leaders, period. He has shown zero of that, I would have Price be captain before Subban and I would never have Price be captain.

Markov wants no part of it and seems Plekanec is it and I don't think he wants that either. So slim pickings for captain I think.

Cant see Subban being captain, he has trouble keeping focused on his own game.

Why would he be captain, because he is a superstar? Captains generally are leaders, period. He has shown zero of that, I would have Price be captain before Subban and I would never have Price be captain.

Markov wants no part of it and seems Plekanec is it and I don't think he wants that either. So slim pickings for captain I think.

Subban has definitely matured into a leader, on and off the ice.

I would give him an 'A', but not a 'C' yet.

If Markov wants it, it's his. He didn't want it last time.

Failing that, it should go to Pleks.

I too would like to see Subban and Gallagher get "As," but as for them being captain - no. Their time will come, especially Subban.

I think if they do pick a captain (3 alternates wouldn't surprise me either) it'll be Plekanec if Markov doesn't want it. I figure that Markov and Patch will get the A's, or even Malhotra if there is some kind of rotation/injury. Subban and Gally are still too young for that added responsibility IMO.

I think if they do pick a captain (3 alternates wouldn't surprise me either) it'll be Plekanec if Markov doesn't want it. I figure that Markov and Patch will get the A's, or even Malhotra if there is some kind of rotation/injury. Subban and Gally are still too young for that added responsibility IMO.

Subban and Patch are the same age. Patches has played 35 more NHL games than PK.

Subban and Patch are the same age. Patches has played 35 more NHL games than PK.

You're right. I was just looking at birth years. In any case, I feel that Patch has been through more, and is more of a young veteran than PK.

And for PK's sake, it'd be nice for him to avoid any more scrutiny that would surely accompany him being an alternate captain.

I think it'll be Desharnais. Gio stature. Determination against odds and such. French & Signed to term. Came up the hard way.

Not my choice. I'd go Markov then Plek, too. I think DD is the PC choice.

Look young. Habs are a continually developing team. A short-term captain seems short-sighted to me. Patch, Subban, Gally. They're all reasonable choices. The real captain is Price, of course. I don't see an older vet getting it, to be honest. Subban would be my choice, for exactly the reasons everyone thinks he shouldn't get it. Young, brash, but insanely talented. Make it his team, build the team around his abilities. Flying Frenchmen? No, but flying and making a statement all the time. I like that.

Plus, he works for Sportsnet and they paid an assload of money to broadcast. So, perfect choice.

Look young. Habs are a continually developing team. A short-term captain seems short-sighted to me. Patch, Subban, Gally. They're all reasonable choices. The real captain is Price, of course. I don't see an older vet getting it, to be honest. Subban would be my choice, for exactly the reasons everyone thinks he shouldn't get it. Young, brash, but insanely talented. Make it his team, build the team around his abilities. Flying Frenchmen? No, but flying and making a statement all the time. I like that.

Plus, he works for Sportsnet and they paid an assload of money to broadcast. So, perfect choice.

Le genius will never allow that. PK would never cry in his arms.

let the players decide.

Subban has definitely matured into a leader, on and off the ice.

I would give him an 'A', but not a 'C' yet.

Being berated by two assistant captains (#79 & #26) and coaches for braindead selfish plays, does not show any leadership.

Granted he has matured a bit, but he aint there yet and has never been a leader in CHL-AHL and not yet in NHL.

But, he is one wicked player that is for sure, just not a natural leader like a Tinordi for example.

If there is to be a young captain, it should be Patcioretty, he leads by example, and has matured into a player that can play any minutes, and is likely to score the most goals in the next 5 seasons for the Habs. Never says the wrong thing, not a diver, or a hot head, logical choice, and maybe a nearly? if not?, a lifetime Hab.....?

Captain...

I think there will be a captain. The Habs didn't have a captain the year after Koivu left, but I think that's due to the extreme makeover of the roster.

I don't think there's an issue naming a captain for 2-3 years, many teams find themselves in this situation twice a decade.

I see Tinordi as the eventual captain. Subban and Gallagher are good guys, but they seem to be fun guys in the room, instead of someone who is heard out when they talk.

Certainly Markov fits the bill. When he talks, I'm sure you can hear a pin drop in the locker room. Ultimately, I don't see him being a conduit to the Montreal media.

Moen and Prust, no. They aren't healthy, or play enough to have much of an impact.

Price, no. When Luongo was a captain he was a punchline. A goalie needs to focus, not debate penalties with the officials.

Plekanec-Known diver that half the fan base is dying to trade.

Desharnais- bahahahahahahaha

Emelin-Doesn't speak enough English.

My Captain pick is...

Max Pacioretty. The reasons?

Their best forward. He's also proved that he can adapt, as he was put on the penalty kill this year with some success. Stuck up for Desharnais when the mayor called him out. Natural leader, and he has a long term deal. He's also educated at a top prep school, and won't have any issues dealing with the media.

i have to admit this is a damn good question. As much as I like Subban, I still don't think he's ready to become captain. Same goes for Gallagher. Markov would be the logical choice, but I have a feeling, he doesn't want the added responsibility!

In the end, I think the best choice would be MaxPac. He's ready for it!