The Next Captain

Commandant

I think he's one pick that there isn't much of an argument against.

Well, there's always an argument against something. For example: Peut-il même parler français?

(Didn't they give Koivu flak over that for several years while he learned the language?)

Pretty thin group of options it seems. Markov or Plekanec seem only reasonable ones?

Maybe go no captain again for another year? But, seems unlikely.

Patches is still learning...he's talked about wanting to be a leader, but that he has to say it suggests it's still a work in progress. I'm not sure saddling him with the "C" is a good idea at all. It's more likely to burden him and throw him off his game.

Especially in this city, it's best to hand it off onto unflappable veterans who have seen all the ups and downs. That'd be Markov and/or Pleks. (Price also qualifies, but he's a goalie, so no thank you Mike Gillis). Gio and Gorges also identified those two, which seems a pretty strong recommendation to me.

As for letting the players decide...anyone remember the two-headed Carbo-Chelios monster? Non merci.

It should be Markov but he doesnt' want it. That much has been clear for a few years now.

It's to Plekanec without a doubt. He captained the Olympic Czech team as a warmup and this is his time. Patches and Subby Doo as the clearest As.

It should be Markov but he doesnt' want it. That much has been clear for a few years now.

It's to Plekanec without a doubt. He captained the Olympic Czech team as a warmup and this is his time. Patches and Subby Doo as the clearest As.

The Czech team sucked...

Well Markov will retain his 'A', but could easily see Pacioretty, DD, Prust or any of numerous players as other 'A', maybe even Subban?

Czech team sucked before it showed up to play with 50 year old players on its roster, we all knew that.

So you would rather the coach/GM's hand pick a guy? Sure has worked well for the Leafs with Phaneuf.

Yeah, well, you need your management group not to be idiots. Ultimately there's no fool-proof method, but having players vote risks bringing rifts to the surface (kind of like referendums in Canada).

Also, the Phaneuf case is interesting in that it illustrates what happens when you make someone captain because you hope they'll grow into the role, rather than anointing someone who is clearly ready for it. We made the same mistake with Turgeon. The captaincy is an extra burden on a player's shoulders - it's gotta be someone with broad shoulders. Let the young guns continue to focus on improving their games. Give it to a proven veteran who already leads the team by words or example (Pleks/Markov).

Also, the Phaneuf case is interesting in that it illustrates what happens when you make someone captain because you hope they'll grow into the role, rather than anointing someone who is clearly ready for it. We made the same mistake with Turgeon. The captaincy is an extra burden on a player's shoulders - it's gotta be someone with broad shoulders. Let the young guns continue to focus on improving their games. Give it to a proven veteran who already leads the team by words or example (Pleks/Markov).

Counterpoint: 25 year old Saku Koivu was given the captaincy. He shouldered it very well.

He should have retired in Montreal. I still can't forgive Gauthier for letting him walk when he wanted to come back, for the league minimum salary.

Counterpoint: 25 year old Saku Koivu was given the captaincy. He shouldered it very well.

He should have retired in Montreal. I still can't forgive Gauthier for letting him walk when he wanted to come back, for the league minimum salary.

Yes, sometimes a young player can do it. But if I recall correctly Koivu was already a clear-cut leader on the team. He was also light years ahead of any other young player on the club in terms of ability as well as leadership. The choice made itself.

That's what I'm saying here. It's one thing to look at a guy and say, "yep, he is the leader in here," it's another to say, "well, we'd like him to become the leader in here." The latter is what we'd be doing if we anointed Pacioretty captain. Wishful thinking is not a sound basis for the "C."

As much as I love Subban, I don't think he'll be able to shoulder the responsibility of getting paid $8M/year and being the captain in year one of his monster contract. Give the 'C' to Markov or Plex and then after 3 years - transition Subban in as the captain.

Subban definitely deserves an 'A' though.

I think Markov is the only logical choice for Captain, until Subban is ready. Those that keep bringing up Markov's past refusal/reluctance aren't factoring in the change in Markov the past few years. He is steal snarly with the media, but does seem much more comfortable talking to the media now. I also think he has become a more vocal leader. He has also become much more nastier on the ice and has shown the physical compete that was lacking in the past.

This past playoffs, i don't think Pleks showed much leadership. He was pretty solid defensively through most of the playoffs, but took some really stupid penalties. I also can't see MB making a guy captain, who took such blatantly soccer type of diving penalties. He also didn't seem up to the task of getting the czech team on track at the olympics (regardless of how terribly we think that team was put together). I also think Pleks is the next veteran to get moved (along with Moen and Bourque). I"m hoping it will be this year, but by the start of the 2015/16 season he will be gone and I've got a feeling that if he is still around, we are going to see a sharp decline in his value.

Subban SHOULD be captain in the future, but he still needs to mature a little more. I think he is by far the most talented hab, since Lafleur, but let's say we were to get a guy like Kane or Yakapov, is Subban really the guy who is going to get those guys in line with the team concept?

Subban, along with MaxPac should get A's, along with Pleks, for as long as he is here.

Lafleur, Robinson were never captain, Subban can be best player and does not mean that he should be captain.

That being said, I agree and got to think that he will be the captain in couple years (not a lot of hall of famers to play 2nd fiddle to on this team; like #19-#10 had) and likely will get an 'A' this year.

Sounds good, but I think Markov would rather eat glass than feed the crazy media mobs after every game any more than he has to.

So, I would guess Plekanec gets it and then to Subban in couple years.

I love Subban as a player but as Captain? No I don't think so, he is far too emotional to argue a call with the ref's. Most of them don't seem to like him as it is. I don't think he is the guy. We need a guy who is cool calm and collected when dealing with adversity. PK is a great guy but a little too rambunctious to be captain. I love his desire and emotion but that can get you in trouble with refs.

I love Subban as a player but as Captain? No I don't think so, he is far too emotional to argue a call with the ref's. Most of them don't seem to like him as it is. I don't think he is the guy. We need a guy who is cool calm and collected when dealing with adversity. PK is a great guy but a little too rambunctious to be captain. I love his desire and emotion but that can get you in trouble with refs.

I think he needs a couple years to mature more and can be a great captain in the future, just not this year.

Lafleur, Robinson were never captain, Subban can be best player and does not mean that he should be captain.

That being said, I agree and got to think that he will be the captain in couple years (not a lot of hall of famers to play 2nd fiddle to on this team; like #19-#10 had) and likely will get an 'A' this year.

Lafleur and Dryden were my favorite players growing up, but no way Lafleur could have been captian - even if there was room. He didn't have the personality of a leader. On the ice he was great, off the ice, he was not capttain material.

WIth Robinson, there were just too many players ahead of him. When he was allowed to leave (or booted by Savard), was when he should have been captain. Word was that Robinson wanted to be captain if he resigned and Savard wouldn't do that. Savard lost his freakin mind when he purged the habs defence (Robinson, Green, Ludwig) and than traded Chelios.

Had Robinson been retained, he could have been a steadying influcence and the Carbo-Chelios rift may never have occured. Keep in mind that Robinson was a Norris nominee on the Kings and was largely credtied for the development of Blake and Zitnik.

In the current situation, other then Subban, the only other young players that MAY be captain material are Galleghar and MaxPac. I think maxpac is too hard on himself at times to be captain, and Gallaghar seems to be hated by the refs, so not sure if that would be a good idea.