Habs invite 44 players to rookie camp

JGC21

MacMillan has added a lot of muscle (I hope it's not fat!) too. The kid did not weight 160 lb when he was drafted and he is listed at 186 lb now. Great improvement.

Holy right handed defencemen, Batman!

Geeez, its good to be a Habs fan!

Imo we could unload Ellis, Thomas, Holland a la Collberg to add that scoring winger if necessary. I have that much confidence in Timmons Inc.

Could Beaulieu and Tinordi make Emelin Expendable? Could De la Rose and Sekac make Bourque and/or even Prust expendable? Can Moen be kept around to watch from the presser..? These will be great problems to have and finally I feel like we have a GM to properly evaluate and shuffle assets.

p.s.

Budaj for Captain! ..no but seriously.. I think with G & G gone.. Budaj is now a necessary ingredient.

Reading reports, people are impressed with McCarron's skill. Also McCarron is showing great speed despite being 241lbs, which at that weight would put him top 10 in the NHL for heaviest players. Sekac looks like a man among boys, Lernout and Wardley are showing ruthless aggression, Scherbak looks like Alex Galchenyuk sometimes, Andreghetto was second best next to Sekac, nobody can agree on Hudon and there's talk that if DLR can't make the Habs he'll go back to Europe.

Reading reports, people are impressed with McCarron's skill. Also McCarron is showing great speed despite being 241lbs, which at that weight would put him top 10 in the NHL for heaviest players. Sekac looks like a man among boys, Lernout and Wardley are showing ruthless aggression, Scherbak looks like Alex Galchenyuk sometimes, Andreghetto was second best next to Sekac, nobody can agree on Hudon and there's talk that if DLR can't make the Habs he'll go back to Europe.

I thought the same.

This is all very exciting news! DLR.. I'll wait and see..

Yes I first thought Rose would be Hab or SHL, then I heard he might go AHL for a bit if cut by Habs.

Tthen I thought Bergevin mentioned recently, SHL is just as good as AHL and he likely would go back there?

I think Sekac is more prepared to do a short stint in AHL, than go KHL for 1 more year?

I had thought Andrighetto would have a chance at crackin roster with Gionta gone, but should all be great competition come September.

I know it's super early, but how does sekac look?

From reading some of the reports, it seems like he stood out in a positive way. That is to be expected though considering he's one of the oldest players at this camp.

that's awesome.it says de la rose sat out yesterdays scrimmage...is he injured?

Beaulieu sat as well. There's 51 players in camp, 46 of which are skaters which is too many for two rosters so some players were scratched.

Imo we could unload Ellis, Thomas, Holland a la Collberg to add that scoring winger if necessary. I have that much confidence in Timmons Inc.

The difference is that Collberg actually had some value, I don't think any of the other three do.

Thomas had a disappointing second year and his NHL upside doesn't seem as good now as it did a year ago. Ellis was getting benched in favour of career minor leaguers at times last season and will need a huge year to even warrant getting a qualifying offer. Holland more or less fell off the face of the Earth, he couldn't do much of anything last year.

Collberg was 19 years old with no North American pro experience and some upside given how he has played against his age level. That's why he was valued in a Vanek deal (the Isles had him as a 1st round talent in his draft year). The others are 22 and are coming off lousy seasons in the AHL. None of those players are going to fetch any sort of established player in return.

Yes I first thought Rose would be Hab or SHL, then I heard he might go AHL for a bit if cut by Habs.

Tthen I thought Bergevin mentioned recently, SHL is just as good as AHL and he likely would go back there?

There's a Gazette article today that suggested that the Habs would give him the option to go SHL or AHL but that de la Rose would go to the AHL since it's closer to making the NHL.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=99001

Interesting to see that Beaulieu was invited to the development camp next week but Tinordi wasn't..?

I guess you can pencil Jarred into the lineup for 2014-15.

Jarred Tinordi and Greg Pateryn have already attended 4 development camps.

Nathan Beaulieu has only attended 3.

Nothing more than that.

Sekac sure looks like a strong guy, maybe he can crack the line up, DLR will probably need another year of seasoning somewhere, but ya never know...

I really believe MB left a spot open on the roster for a RW to see what these guys got when they are playing for an NHL spot, that's gotta show you what they have under the hood, so to speak. There is always the trade route during the season, or the deadline addition a la Vanek was...but I think MB is in search of that top line winger(in potential at least), a younger guy that can end up as one of the core guys for years to come.

Even if this forward is only a 20 goal guy(only, lol), it needs to be someone who isn't easy to play against, like a McGinn out of Colorado for instance, someone with a gritty style game, and scoring potential, especially when the going is tough in the playoffs.

I know he is not a top line scorer, but I was hoping MB would pry Bickle out of the Hawks, he might be one of the top playoff performers to come along in a long time, and something that would greatly add to team toughness, and playoff aspirations, another season of cap increase and 4 mil for a guy like that is a deal....

How many spots are available for contracts to camp invites?

Jarred Tinordi and Greg Pateryn have already attended 4 development camps.

Nathan Beaulieu has only attended 3.

Nothing more than that.

To be fair, Mac Bennett has attended quite a few but he has never played in the NHL or AHL. So it's a mix of developing camp experience + AHL/NHL experience.

How many spots are available for contracts to camp invites?

To be fair, Mac Bennett has attended quite a few but he has never played in the NHL or AHL. So it's a mix of developing camp experience + AHL/NHL experience.

Once you've attended 4 its an option to the player and not a requirement.

Sekac sure looks like a strong guy, maybe he can crack the line up, DLR will probably need another year of seasoning somewhere, but ya never know...

I really believe MB left a spot open on the roster for a RW to see what these guys got when they are playing for an NHL spot, that's gotta show you what they have under the hood, so to speak. There is always the trade route during the season, or the deadline addition a la Vanek was...but I think MB is in search of that top line winger(in potential at least), a younger guy that can end up as one of the core guys for years to come.

Even if this forward is only a 20 goal guy(only, lol), it needs to be someone who isn't easy to play against, like a McGinn out of Colorado for instance, someone with a gritty style game, and scoring potential, especially when the going is tough in the playoffs.

The only problem is that most of the young players vying for that RW spot don't actually play RW. Sekac is a natural LW and has said he's not all that comfortable on the right. de la Rose is a C who played a lot of LW last year. Andrighetto is a right winger but shoots left and was actually being used on the left side last year (and centre for some odd reason). I think the opening at RW is because of the absolute dearth of quality RW's in free agency, not so much to keep a spot open for prospects.

WIth a couple good wingers Andrighetto was fine at centre wasn't he (in few games he played there, if I remember correctly).

Can wingers learn/transfer to be a centre after turning pro? I know common for opposite to happen.

WIth a couple good wingers Andrighetto was fine at centre wasn't he (in few games he played there, if I remember correctly).

Can wingers learn/transfer to be a centre after turning pro? I know common for opposite to happen.

Yeah, he seemed to be okay at C. The point I was making was that with him, a natural RW, he spent a good chunk of the year in Hamilton not playing that position. As much as there's an opening at RW on the big club, there aren't really many prospect options to fill that spot unless they're changing positions.

It's not as common for wingers to convert to centre in the pros but it does happen. David Backes in St. Louis is a good example of that.

man, if I were bourque, i'd be a little nervous with 3 young studs knocking at the door. he'd better play like he did in the playoffs rather than lollygag through another regular season!

My guess is that if by game #15 Bourque is still struggling and is lazy, Zoot suit will trade him for a bag of pucks!

• Upvote 1

Anything of note at camp last couple days?

Has there been no physical play/fisticuffs from some of the ' larger-gritty' invites/prospects?

Anything of note at camp last couple days?

Has there been no physical play/fisticuffs from some of the ' larger-gritty' invites/prospects?

Nevins I think it was almost took a guys head off. I don't think anyone wants to get too physical though.

McMillan is playing well according to reports. The most dominant line yesterday was Audette - De La Rose - Sekac so I guess Sekac is getting some RW work. Bennett was the best when it came to defenders.