Eller's arbitration case

dlbalr

MB's going to lose this arbitration case.

I'm not one of Eller's biggest fans, but 3 million is the league average. With a 69 million dollar team cap, and 23 players on the roster, 3 million is what a stock, plain, competent, no flash player who does his job should get. Offering him 1.65 indicates you think he's significantly worse than the league average.

This hardball tactic also worries me about Subban... if MB's pulling the same crap with him we're not going to keep him for long.

Hard ball tactics eh.

A little overboard, pretty standard stuff, so not sure what 'Crap' you are referring to?

Much ado about nothing.

This hardball tactic also worries me about Subban... if MB's pulling the same crap with him we're not going to keep him for long.

What hardball tactic? Eller's representatives used the most expensive comparables for their filing while the Habs used the cheapest. Both sides knew the middle ground is where the deal would get done. That's standard arbitration negotiations that every team follows. I'll tell you right now, don't be surprised when Subban's offer from the Habs in their arbitration brief starts with a 6. Of course they know he's worth more but there's a procedure that has to be followed.

As for the 4 years, $3.5 million for Eller? I'm surprised that it's backloaded quite as much as it is but the average fits right in the parameter I guessed last week. It goes to show how much of a difference there is between being an RFA and a UFA.

Guest Stogey24

What hardball tactic? Eller's representatives used the most expensive comparables for their filing while the Habs used the cheapest. Both sides knew the middle ground is where the deal would get done. That's standard arbitration negotiations that every team follows. I'll tell you right now, don't be surprised when Subban's offer from the Habs in their arbitration brief starts with a 6. Of course they know he's worth more but there's a procedure that has to be followed.

As for the 4 years, $3.5 million for Eller? I'm surprised that it's backloaded quite as much as it is but the average fits right in the parameter I guessed last week. It goes to show how much of a difference there is between being an RFA and a UFA.

I don't see how Eller could have made any less than 3, when Prust is making 2.5 a year. I'd personally take Eller over DD if I had to chose between the two centres. I'm a firm believer that if DD was put in the same situations that Eller was put in last year he wouldn't have had a hope in hell hitting the 50pt mark. I would also assume with Eller getting this pay day we'll start to see him put in more situations where he can succeed.

Yes, because Eller can't possibly take responsibility for his own game. It's all Dat Devil Therrien's fault that he did nothing for six months.

As for Prust, he was a UFA when he signed, so that's not a meaningful comparable in cap-world.

YESSSSSS!! Eller is locked in for four years! I don't care what he's making, just glad he's in! still 12 mil left to work out subbans deal and we're all set. personally, i'd sign pk at 8 mil per year..then save whatever for intangibles throughout the year. maybe a rental again at the deadline who knows?

Guest Stogey24

Yes, because Eller can't possibly take responsibility for his own game. It's all Dat Devil Therrien's fault that he did nothing for six months.

As for Prust, he was a UFA when he signed, so that's not a meaningful comparable in cap-world.

It's not all on Therrien, but the best way to awaken a slumping player who this organization obviously believes has talent is to stick him on PP1 and give him majority of the offensive zone draws. The problem is that DD had to be given those opportunities because his two way game is piss poor and can't be taken away from Pacioretty, his trigger man.

Almost all of Eller's points in the playoffs came at home where Therrien could choose his matchup. After game one against the Bruins, Eller didn't have a single point on the road.

He was dominant from October 1 to October 19: 5 goals, 3 assists in eight games.

From October 22 to November 19 (the game Gallagher was taken off the line), Eller had 11 games of zero points. Of course, he had a three point game against the Islanders in that span so looks excusable.

Most people remember the Brian Savage hot start, the game against Columbus where he dominated and the Islanders game where the KID line was on fire.

How was Galchenyuk and Gallagher without the Blue Jackets and Islanders game in the same 10/22 to 11/19 span?

Galchenyuk: 5 points
Gallagher: 6 points
Eller: 1 point

chew on this before you close the thread: suppose the egg line plays together for an entire season(highly probable)...Gallagher and Galchenyuk are both up for new contracts next year..how good are they going to be this year?! all you naysayers had better recognize when eller gets 70+ pts!! that line will get their fair share believe me

chew on this before you close the thread: suppose the egg line plays together for an entire season(highly probable)...Gallagher and Galchenyuk are both up for new contracts next year..how good are they going to be this year?! all you naysayers had better recognize when eller gets 70+ pts!! that line will get their fair share believe me

Depends on PP time. Galchenyuk and Gallagher certainly deserve it.

If the team went with PP lines of:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau

Markov - Subban

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher

Beaulieu - Gilbert

I could see it. However I wonder if the team really wants to take Plekanec off PP.

chew on this before you close the thread: suppose the egg line plays together for an entire season(highly probable)...

It's highly probable that a line will stay together for the entire year? I don't think I can recall the last time a forward line in Montreal stayed together for an entire year. There will be injuries, benchings, etc; there's no way that any line stays intact for 82 games.

well since you wanted to sign eller for 1.7 mil, I guess you expect him to play 4th line then right? do you honestly think mb will give him that kind of deal and not play a ton? I think the egg line is gonna kill it this season.

well since you wanted to sign eller for 1.7 mil, I guess you expect him to play 4th line then right? do you honestly think mb will give him that kind of deal and not play a ton? I think the egg line is gonna kill it this season.

I don't recall saying I wanted the Habs to re-sign him for $1.7 million? Which post did I say that in?

yes it is rare..but some lines do stick..even get dubbed special nicknames. wishful thinking on my part..but ive got a ton of faith in these guys.

I don't recall saying I wanted the Habs to re-sign him for $1.7 million? Which post did I say that in?

yep, you did..you said I expect them to re-sign him for 1.7 a few posts ago

yep, you did..you said I expect them to re-sign him for 1.7 a few posts ago

Which one? I don't see it. I guessed they'll offer him $1.75 as a starting figure in the first post of this thread (they offered $1.65), not that he'd take it. My article on the site about it pegged a one year settlement closer to $2 million with a 4 year deal between $3.2 and $3.5 million which is exactly where this contract fell.

Umm, Daniele Briere.

..and where's he now?

I think his point is that despite a $4 million salary, the Habs didn't have reservations about playing Briere on the fourth line. Accordingly, we shouldn't assume that with Eller getting a considerable boost in pay that there will immediately be a bump in ice time/role for Eller. If they could play a $4 M C on the 4th line last year, they could conceivably pay Eller at a $3.5 M cap hit to be a bottom six forward next season.