2014-15 Scoring Predictions

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

PP TOI per game last year:

Galchenyuk: 2:02 (fourth highest among full-season Montreal forwards)

Eller: 1:06

Gionta: 1:25

Gionta getting 19 seconds per game more than Eller isn't that bad, especially when you consider that Eller had two goals in the final four months of the season and really should have been seeing even less time on the PP.

I know Gionta put up 18 goals,but he was dump and chase player last year. He basically turned into a little grinder. There was no reason for him to get any PP time.

Courtnell had skill, a decent shot and was lightening quick. His problem was that his feet were quicker than his hands or his brain.

I think of Russ Courtnall when I think of Weise. Couldn't score if his life depended on it, but frequently terrorized defenders by streaking past and going on goalies alone. If nothing else he kept the defenseman honest and when he did score it was huge. That is how I invision Weise.

I know Gionta put up 18 goals,but he was dump and chase player last year. He basically turned into a little grinder. There was reason for him to get any PP time.

He's a right hand shot on a team that for most of the season, was lacking in terms of right hand shots that could produce offensively. That alone was justification for him to get what amounted to secondary PP time.

just because the stat book says Russ Courtnall averaged 20 goals throughout his career, it doesn't mean he was your typical 20 goal man. I agree that he couldn't score if his life depended on it. he had several breakaways a game and could not bury. for the number of high quality chances he got, he should've been a 50 goal man at least twice and averaged 35 throughout his career. does he compare to Weise though? no, they're different players altogether..in fact I don't recall seeing Russ Courtnall throwing one bodycheck in his career. but yes, they're both blazing fast

I don't think you and I remember the same Russ Courtnall.

1986 - 22 goals

1987 - 29 goals

1988 - 23 goals

1989 - 23 goals

1990 - 27 goals

1991 - 26 goals

1993 - 36 goals

1994 - 23 goals

1996 - 26 goals

At only 5'11", 175 lbs, and a career 65 points, 20+ goals per season guy, Courtnall and Weise have very little in common.

Don't get me wrong, I love Weise, but apart from being ridiculously fast, they don't have much in common.

Yeah. Weise was put in defensive roll and has never got beyond that. Yeah Courtnall put up some nice numbers but I remember him missing three or four times before he ever got one in . Agreed his feet. I am just saying Weise could be like that if he was given that opportunity maybe? I loved Russ but he frustrated me more often than not. Jjust saying.

• 2 weeks later...

lol. No love eh?

Lovett has been irrationally hating Sekac in every thread and response about Jiri, as well as proving Lovett has never seen a single iota of Sekac play. Just a bunch of rants about how he isn't tough enough for third line duty and we're being ridiculous on expectations.

Lovett has been irrationally hating Sekac in every thread and response about Jiri, as well as proving Lovett has never seen a single iota of Sekac play. Just a bunch of rants about how he isn't tough enough for third line duty and we're being ridiculous on expectations.

Thank you.... especially about the irrational part....

Guest Stogey24

Plekanec had 9goals and 20 assists in 67 games, first full season. Is likely good comparison.

So say, Sekac 7goals/12assists in 60 games.

How/Why is plekanec a comparable

Tomas was established couple year pro in AHL, birthplace and so I see 1st year NHL production likely be very similar or touch lower.

dlbalr asked for wild guess and I say <20points.

I have him at 182 lbs at development camp. Hopefully he has made some gains on that. Short of that he will have a long stint with the Bulldogs, regardless of how much talent he may have.

If Pacioretty or Galchenyuk go down and he gets to steal their top six minutes: 48 points
If he adjusts to the NHL game quickly and finds chemistry with someone fast: 38 points

If he doesn't adjust quickly but does prove he can play top nine hockey: 28 points

If he spends half of his time in the AHL until moving up to get some gametime: 18 points

If he spends most of his time in the AHL since the roster stays healthy and he doesn't steal a spot in exhibition: 8 points

To be conservative, I'll take the 28 point prediction. I have high hopes for him and think he could keep Eller honest all season long. He won't get much PP time with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk taking up the LW time and Gallagher/Parenteau taking up the RW time. 28 points but will impress with 16 goals on zero PP minutes.

That's not true. With the exception of the Worlds, i've seen and read as much as anyone here. Keep in mind, the last player I was this down on was Eller, and we've seen how that has worked out.

Guest Stogey24

Tomas was established couple year pro in AHL, birthplace and so I see 1st year NHL production likely be very similar or touch lower.

dlbalr asked for wild guess and I say <20points.

Just wondering... I've never seen the guy play, besides camp.

That's not true. With the exception of the Worlds, i've seen and read as much as anyone here. Keep in mind, the last player I was this down on was Eller, and we've seen how that has worked out.

So if we get lucky you could be wrong on both counts in one post. DYNOMITE. just kidding it's august :)

we all seem to have penned sekac in on the plekanecs line, but we don't even know if he can handle playing with pleks line yet? who knows, maybe rocky balboa can defend better than sekac? mt might want to take a look at his offensive potential by giving him some early pp time? this kids just come outta nowhere, and I sure hope he's that hidden gem that we need. playing him with pleks may not suit his game, who knows? we're getting closer to finding out that's for sure!

this kids just come outta nowhere, and I sure hope he's that hidden gem that we need. playing him with pleks may not suit his game, who knows? we're getting closer to finding out that's for sure!

That's the thing - he came out of nowhere for us, but the rest of the league seemed rather hyped on this guy. He picked the Habs out of 15 teams trying to get him into the NHL this year. It doesn't seem he was all that well hidden from the hockey world in general.

So how about Malhotra and Gilbert? I'm interested in seeing how these proven/actual NHLers are going to help the team. I think having Malhotra play over someone like Ryan White will be a big boon to the team. Maybe if we can get Plekanec away from some of his defensive responsibilities, he'll increase his scoring. Malhotra is a faceoffs whiz, something we badly need. Galchenyuk/Plekanec/Parentau could be a really good line if they aren't buried every other shift. I like Gilbert over Gorges. I think having Markov/Emelin/Gorges made the team too slow.

@ICEWATER77:

Everything I've read calls him a two-way player, in addition to skilled offense. I also believe that people keep putting him with Plekanec for a couple of other reasons: (1) Despite his growing role as a shut-down checking forward, Plekanec is the second most gifted offensive center on the team (behind Desharnais), and Sekac would have more opportunity to score there than with Eller or Malhotra (that may change if they move Galchenyuk to Centre.) (2) The Czech connection. There's this unfounded and yet compelling gut feeling that sticking two guys from the same home town of Kladno, Czech Republic together on the same line will create some special chemistry.