Best team since '89?

ICEWATER77

i still remember gilmour streaking down the left boards to score and put us away.... i started crying and recall my dad giving me a smack in the face telling me to be a man and that those guys (the habs) didn't care about me... i was going on 11yrs old that september and hockey was my life.... i don't recall the habs winning the cup in 86 but do recall the habs losing to BOS the years after (i cried when we lost to the bruins in 6 as well)lol

Point being is i don't know if it was the slap in the face or the actual habs but i believe it was then... that failed playoff run of 1989 when i truly began to bleed blue blanc rouge

Only scoring 1st once in the first 7 games isn't adversity?

I could handle a little less adversity from this team so far.

Chuckle chuckle...

I could very well live with a 2-0 lead...

Adversity would be from not scoring first, and losing 6 of 7 wouldn't it?

I don't care if we give up the first goal or not really, when we can get past that and score the game winner 6 out of 7, gives the team confidence, and me too!

Don't forget casting away Robinson, Ludwig and Green all at the same time. Granted he reportedly had a deal worked out for Stevens, before he got the big offer sheet from St. Louis.

This is precisely why i wanted Markov resigned. from our veteran D, Markov was the critical guy. I liked dumping Gorges, but was surprised at how low the return was. i thought we could have gotten more if we had packaged him with a couple of other veterans.

Dont forget he offered Robinson big bucks to stay. Larry turned it down.

i still remember gilmour streaking down the left boards to score and put us away.... i started crying and recall my dad giving me a smack in the face telling me to be a man and that those guys (the habs) didn't care about me... i was going on 11yrs old that september and hockey was my life.... i don't recall the habs winning the cup in 86 but do recall the habs losing to BOS the years after (i cried when we lost to the bruins in 6 as well)lol

Point being is i don't know if it was the slap in the face or the actual habs but i believe it was then... that failed playoff run of 1989 when i truly began to bleed blue blanc rouge

I was at game 4 of the 89 finals in Montreal. Fourth row in the corner. Chris Nilan was sitting right behind us. Habs were leading series 2-1. Lost that game. Macinnis blew one by Roy that had Patrick backing up into the second row seats. Gilmour was the flames best forward that night. Fast pace at ice level was unbelievable. My buddy was so depressed at the loss he went straight back to the hotel room.......I went for beers myself. lol

Dont forget he offered Robinson big bucks to stay. Larry turned it down.

Agree. Gorges was the most over rated dman the habs have ever had. Cant shoot, pass, hit, fight, or move bodies in front. Last two play offs was he was totally exposed. Glad the new GM did not over rate him like the last two.. Gorges missed 15 game last season, habs won 13 of the,. Counting this seasons 6-1 start habs are 19-3 without Josh.

• Upvote 1

We may not reach the 115 point mark like they did, and we may not be as dominant defensively as they were, but this team is the best since 1989! I know we won the cup in '93, but that was mostly Patrick and a hard working team...with help from above, I might add. I haven't seen this much talent and potential in ages. Things are looking great in Mtl, Marc Bergevin(and staff)..Thank you!

Yes easy 77 ............ 93 team fairly even on D with this team. Goaltending.....Roy still gets nod over Price. But the forwsrds on the 93 team 1 thru 12 blow this years squad away.

89 team and the 014 team .............no comparison.

But the forwsrds on the 93 team 1 thru 12 blow this years squad away.

You love hyperbole.

There's a reason why Lebeau was a one and done player on the Canadiens. He had a great year but wasn't a good player. Guys like Ed Ronan, Gilbert Dionne, Mario Roberge, Todd Ewan? Really? That's not even getting into it makes no sense for you to have any love for Denis Savard over Tomas Plekanec since Savard was half the player he was in Chicago. Are you really gonna argue that Brian Bellows was that much better than Max Pacioretty? That you would take Mike Keane over Alex Galchenyuk?

Silliness.

One thing I like about this thread is ICEWATER's giving props to that semi-forgotten 1989 squad. They were truly a machine; unfortunately, there was one other team in the same class as them that year, and it happened to be a Calgary Flames team that, in the end, was just a sliver better.

Incidentally, Jeff, you forgot to list Bob Gainey among the departed from the '89 club. That was his swan song.

The '89 team has it over the '93 team in one respect: they were unquestionably a cut above every other club except one, from pole to pole that year. The 1993 team was, and still is, heavily under-estimated, but they were merely one of about a half-dozen legitimate contenders that season. If a team's quality is to be measured by its degree of domination over its competition, then the 1989 team was better (except in the Finals, natch).

Final thought here: the Habs won the Cup in '86, got to the Finals in '89, and won the Cup in '93 - 3 Finals appearances in 8 years. Not too shabby, yet I remember an unending chorus of criticism that Serge Savard was a "mediocre" GM. It's all a question of perspective, eh?

Serge still the best gm this team has had since Sam Pollock

Serge still the best gm this team has had since Sam Pollock

took over in 83....had a five year plan to win the cup......did it in 3.

In 84 drafted Svoboda,Corson, Richer and Roy. First move as GM was acquiring Bobby Smith. Huge piece of the 86 cup winning team.

You love hyperbole.

There's a reason why Lebeau was a one and done player on the Canadiens. He had a great year but wasn't a good player. Guys like Ed Ronan, Gilbert Dionne, Mario Roberge, Todd Ewan? Really? That's not even getting into it makes no sense for you to have any love for Denis Savard over Tomas Plekanec since Savard was half the player he was in Chicago. Are you really gonna argue that Brian Bellows was that much better than Max Pacioretty? That you would take Mike Keane over Alex Galchenyuk?

Silliness.

easy to play that....... Bellows score 40 goals in 93 then won a cup. Max best is 39 and was just ok in the play offs. Want to split that hair go ahead. Mike Keane was a grinder and role player......you comparing him to galchenyuk is what is "silly" Now Keane should be compared to Moen or Weiss.....

notice you left out the best player in the finals....John Leclair. Two over time winners in the finals.

top forwards on 93 team vs 014.......

Leclair - Pax

Muller - Pleks

Carbs - DD

Bellows - Chucky

Leeman - Gallagher

Savard - Eller

Keane - Bourque?

i will take 93 over that any day

All I can say on this is look at my season prediction for this year and you will know my opinion. I am on track for winning this year and my prediction may be low!

We had no room in 93' for the washed up Savard. Hell, Gary freakinh leeman was playing over him.

hmmm, different roles I believe.moen has looked pretty good at what he's asked to do. we have no room on '14 habs for a '93 savard. just my opinion though..

easy to play that....... Bellows score 40 goals in 93 then won a cup. Max best is 39 and was just ok in the play offs. Want to split that hair go ahead. Mike Keane was a grinder and role player......you comparing him to galchenyuk is what is "silly" Now Keane should be compared to Moen or Weiss.....

notice you left out the best player in the finals....John Leclair. Two over time winners in the finals.

top forwards on 93 team vs 014.......

Leclair - Pax

Muller - Pleks

Carbs - DD

Bellows - Chucky

Leeman - Gallagher

Savard - Eller

Keane - Bourque?

i will take 93 over that any day

yes he did. i was just doing a quick comparison in response to the "silly" gakchenyuk vs keane

but yes throw in Damphouse with Leclair, Bellows, Muller, Carbs, Savard, Keane, Leeman .............. yes i would say those forwards were a better collection than the current one..........well they did win a stanley cup........that count for anything?

We had no room in 93' for the washed up Savard. Hell, Gary freakinh leeman was playing over him.

"no room on this years team for 93 Savard"

what do you call DD

93 Savard 63 games 16 goals 34 assists 50 points play offs 15 points 20 games

104 DD 79 games 16 goals 36 assists 52 points play offs 8 points 17 games

should be noted savard was getting third line ice time.

what do you call DD

as its stands....Savard was only producing 50 point seasons and just under point a game in play offs and this is when he knew retirement was near. DD in his prime is Savard in his decline.

as its stands....Savard was only producing 50 point seasons and just under point a game in play offs and this is when he knew retirement was near. DD in his prime is Savard in his decline.

In 1993, the 10th leading scorer in the NHL had 123 points. league scoring was completely different back then. I don't think the comparison between Savards points total and Deharnais points total are a fair barometer of their offensive contributions.

• Upvote 1

Savard's production was prior to the dead puck era. 50 points for a top two centre back than was not that great.

There was a reason that Savard was behind the bench by the finals.

what do you call DD

In 1993, the 10th leading scorer in the NHL had 123 points. league scoring was completely different back then. I don't think the comparison between Savards points total and Deharnais points total are a fair barometer of their offensive contributions.

no , and that what you say can be taken into account when comparing. but we dont throw the stats out the window either. All things considered. Points easier to come by back then as you said. Also Savard played less games and did no get the prime ice time that DD gets. All in all ..... small size, play making ability, lack of a physical game, .........I would say they are very even .......... when you talk about the 93 savard that is. When Denis was DD 's age the current Habs center could not tie no 18's skates.