Best team since '89?

ICEWATER77

The Kovelev and rivet deals were the only real steals I remember Gainey pulling off. PG probably would have traded Beaulieu for Weisse, pleks for pawn tray and galleghar for gonchar.

could any of Gauthier, Gainey, Savard, Houle have swung the deals that MB has made? think about it:

Parenteau and a pick for Briere(landslide, pun intended)

Weise for Diaz(wow!)

Tokarski for Desjardins(what?!)

Gonchar for Moen(contract move so I won't say)

Vanek for who cares, nhl will never see him, collberg

and Malholtra?! talk about lack of leadership and here comes Manny! perfect

plus the recent draft picks!

we've finally gotten away from smurf-hockey!

....and those are just off the top of my head, i'm sure there are more worth mentioning. so yeah, kudos MB

Gauthier had some good trades himself. Eller for Halak, getting 2nds for Gill and Kostitsyn.

Gainey's Huet/Bonk for Garon was an excellent trade. Same with clearing Theodore's contract in the Theo for Aebischer deal.

Nobody is 100% bad or 100% good. Except Houle. Can't think of a single good Houle trade.

Gauthier had some good trades himself. Eller for Halak, getting 2nds for Gill and Kostitsyn.

Gainey's Huet/Bonk for Garon was an excellent trade. Same with clearing Theodore's contract in the Theo for Aebischer deal.

Nobody is 100% bad or 100% good. Except Houle. Can't think of a single good Houle trade.

The Hackett trade was pretty good.

As you say, it's seldom all or nothing, but rather a matter of the pluses outweighing the minuses overall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This team is not as good as the '89 team, which - except for the Flames - was in a class by itself. But I feel comfortable saying this is the best Habs team *since* 1989. Playoffs will tell the tale, though!

93 and 94 teams better than 015 team.

89 team? ... no comparison.

Ha! I guess I shouldn't say we're better than the 1993 team. now should I? That was dumb. (There are intriguing parallels between this bunch and the 1993 squad, though - including dominance through most of the year tempered by a late-season dip, and a sense that the team is led by its goalie).

The '94 team was very strong in the regular season, but, if memory serves, rather wilted in the playoffs. They came off more as a group that wasn't hungry enough after having won it all the year before. I don't think a lack of 'hunger' is a trait of this bunch.

Ha! I guess I shouldn't say we're better than the 1993 team. now should I? That was dumb. (There are intriguing parallels between this bunch and the 1993 squad, though - including dominance through most of the year tempered by a late-season dip, and a sense that the team is led by its goalie).

The '94 team was very strong in the regular season, but, if memory serves, rather wilted in the playoffs. They came off more as a group that wasn't hungry enough after having won it all the year before. I don't think a lack of 'hunger' is a trait of this bunch.

No, it wasn't dumb. I see what some others mean when they say that .The 93 team was like 7th or 8 th over all. Not star studded, and low scoring yet went on to win the cup. Outstanding goaltending being its best asset. So because of some similarities between the two teams, i can see why one MIGHT make a claim for the 015 team being possibly better. Hey, if they surprised everybody and went on and won it all ...then it will become debatable. :thumbs_up:

94 team lost to Boston in seven. Roy missed a game in that series due to having emergency appendix surgery (removed) , and was "off" when he came back. But the team/line up was every bit as good as the 93 team. imo