Dale Weise wins the Jacques Beauchamp Trophy

dlbalr

This one doesn't come as a huge shocker but Dale Weise wins the Jacques Beauchamp trophy, more commonly known as the fourth star or unsung hero. Prust and Gallagher rounded out the top three in balloting. I figured Weise would win but I also thought Gilbert might garner some 2nd and 3rd place votes given that for all the criticism he takes, he still logs around 20 minutes a night.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=762059

Anyway, the real unsung heroe this season is Bob Gainey.

Yeah he laid the base for the team to grow on. Now MB has to take it that next step. GET A SNIPER.

And which sniper will be available and what is cost? Gallagher, Beaulieu and a 1st pick might get an upgrade, + the $6m+/yr salary of course.

Not a shocker no. A bit surprised Gally did not win it.

to win an "unsung hero" award, you kinda have to be "unsung."

Gallagher is quite sung. :D

24 goals, 47 points, with two games left to play. With scoring being so low in the league now, those numbers make the kid a legitimate first line forward on just about any team in the league this year.

The sentiment has to be qualified by the knowledge that, had we kept Macdonagh, we would be an unbelievably strong team on the back end and clear-cut contenders, rather than the 'quasi-contenders' we are right now. But yes, Bob built the nucleus of this team, and God bless him for it.

I always said that the 'Gomez/Gionta/Cammalleri' UFA frenzy of 2010 was intended as a patch-up job to tide us over during the second proper rebuild. Rebuild 1.0, the Kostisyn/Komisarek/Kovalev team, was exposed as a disaster in 2009. Bob needed to buy the organization time, allowing it to remain competitive while the next wave of young talent came up. So he reconstructed the team overnight with UFAs and crossed his fingers. That 'UFA' team melted down artificially due to Gauthier's ineptitude and a rebellion against Jacques Martin, but the basic strategy more-or-less worked - and the new wave is now here.

The sentiment has to be qualified by the knowledge that, had we kept Macdonagh, we would be an unbelievably strong team on the back end and clear-cut contenders, rather than the 'quasi-contenders' we are right now.

I hate being reminded of that. It makes me feel ill. Even Higgins was better than anything we got in that deal... and it lost us Ryan McDonagh.

to win an "unsung hero" award, you kinda have to be "unsung."

Gallagher is quite sung. :D

24 goals, 47 points, with two games left to play. With scoring being so low in the league now, those numbers make the kid a legitimate first line forward on just about any team in the league this year.

Well as was posted above gally was top three in balloting, so he more than qualified for unsung according to some.

Worthy accolade.

The sentiment has to be qualified by the knowledge that, had we kept Macdonagh, we would be an unbelievably strong team on the back end and clear-cut contenders, rather than the 'quasi-contenders' we are right now. But yes, Bob built the nucleus of this team, and God bless him for it.

I always said that the 'Gomez/Gionta/Cammalleri' UFA frenzy of 2010 was intended as a patch-up job to tide us over during the second proper rebuild. Rebuild 1.0, the Kostisyn/Komisarek/Kovalev team, was exposed as a disaster in 2009. Bob needed to buy the organization time, allowing it to remain competitive while the next wave of young talent came up. So he reconstructed the team overnight with UFAs and crossed his fingers. That 'UFA' team melted down artificially due to Gauthier's ineptitude and a rebellion against Jacques Martin, but the basic strategy more-or-less worked - and the new wave is now here.

Well said. That is in fact how it played out.

Giving Gainey allocates for the present team is like giving allocates to Feaster for the flames current success - seriously misplaced.

And which sniper will be available and what is cost? Gallagher, Beaulieu and a 1st pick might get an upgrade, + the $6m+/yr salary of course.

What ever it takes. I can't tell him how or who but we all know we need a goal scorer so do what you have to and put your name on the cup. :)

And maybe this is a cup-winning roster?

9/1 ods experts say, which is 4th best in NHL. If add an All Star winger, likely be better but again it will likely cost both short/long term.

As Master Po would say "patience grasshopper"!

Nice to see Weise get award, he has been very efficient with ice time he gets.

Seems to be on outs with coaches lately, maybe swelled head (I am top six...) or lack of discipline?

I agree that the Gomez trade was a flop, Bob thought that with the northern mexican, Cammallerii and Gionta he had a real nucleus to replace the broken model of Kovalev and Koivu. It didn't work out. Nobody knew how good Mcdonagh was going to be anymore than we know how good Beaulieu will be. Bad trade? Yes is hindsite. Mcdonagh could just as easily been a flop or an injured soldier. I have never understood how the mexican forgot to play hockey but he did, c'est le guerre. However we still benefit from the moves that Big Bob made and I still support most of what he did. That frigging ghost on the other hand not so much, but in fairness he was behind the 8 ball from the start with all the D injuries. Markov being hurt for 2 years did not help the team. But again that is just how things go.

And maybe this is a cup-winning roster?

9/1 ods experts say, which is 4th best in NHL. If add an All Star winger, likely be better but again it will likely cost both short/long term.

As Master Po would say "patience grasshopper"!

Nice to see Weise get award, he has been very efficient with ice time he gets.

Seems to be on outs with coaches lately, maybe swelled head (I am top six...) or lack of discipline?

Master Po be dammed I have no patience after 20+ years :) I must have my cup and I will have it now! Yes it will cost to get a scorer but you can't make an omelet and not break any eggs(restaurant business talk) The Gm's job is to give the coach (such as he is) the necessary players. He doesn't need me to tell him who and how, it is his job to get it done. Or else off the coaches head. :rofl:

And is a long list of teams "going for it" this year, they all have no 1st round pick, some nor a 2nd either, in another "supposedly' deep draft.

And Bergevin did say he couldn't find a Vanek-like deal this year, but he made many critics happy by getting a top 4 upgrade on d.

Giving Gainey allocates for the present team is like giving allocates to Feaster for the flames current success - seriously misplaced.

I should have said Gainey and Timmins. (for selecting Price and cie.)

Habs 29 I usually agree with most (not all) that you say but this one I cannot understand. I know you weren't a fan of Big Bob but you have to give the man his due. This teams base was built by him and Timmons.

And is a long list of teams "going for it" this year, they all have no 1st round pick, some nor a 2nd either, in another "supposedly' deep draft.

And Bergevin did say he couldn't find a Vanek-like deal this year, but he made many critics happy by getting a top 4 upgrade on d.

Nothing we can do about this year, it is what it is but, next year is I believe a critical year for MB and he must improve this club. By adding a sniper.

Gainey and Gauthier had their good and bad, which is why both are still employed in the NHL. Gauthier even has a cup ring since being fired.

Gainey has six as a player, plus one as a gm. Did not win one managing the habs but is responsible for putting the best players on the current team in place. Also traded away Mcdonough for Gomer Pile. Proving nobodys perfect. :thumbs_up:

Gainey made other pretty major mistakes, too, like throwing away Ribeiro for zilch (although the Pateryn trade looks tolerably good in retrospect). His was a very chequered run as GM. But it seems silly to deny that he bequeathed us four of the most important players on the best team we have had in 20 years (Price, Pleks, Patches, and PK). The core is the core he built.

Gainey made other pretty major mistakes, too, like throwing away Ribeiro for zilch (although the Pateryn trade looks tolerably good in retrospect). His was a very chequered run as GM. But it seems silly to deny that he bequeathed us four of the most important players on the best team we have had in 20 years (Price, Pleks, Patches, and PK). The core is the core he built.

Thats right.

Gainey was just the first of how many...6 gm's that got squat for riberio? Anyone ever pay anything for that guy?

As much as McDonagh trade was a flop, the Rivet for Gorges and Pacioretty trade was a success. I call it a wash.

Gainey Top 3

1. In a choice between Price and Marc Staal, going with Carey Price

2. Rivet for Gorges and a 1st (Max Pacioretty)

3. Salary dumping Theodore for Aebischer

Gainey Bottom 3

3 (TIE). Signing Sergei Samsonov and Georges Laraque

2. Trading Ribeiro for Niimimma

1. Giving away Ryan McDonaugh to acquire Gomez

Gauthier Top 3

1. Trading Halak for Eller and keeping Price.

2. Getting a 2nd round pick (Dalton Thrower) for Hal Gill

3. Trading Andrei Kostitsyn for a 2nd (Jacob De La Rose)

Gauthier Bottom 3

3. Trading for Tomas Kaberle

2. Firing Martin, replacing with Randy Cunnyworth who wasn't ready for the job in hopes that the Anglo-Franco controversy might save his job for another year

1. Trading Cammalleri mid-game and getting eternal underachiever Rene Bourque in the deal