Series Discussion Thread: Habs vs Senators

dlbalr

The key to this series is not to play the on the outside in the offensive zone. Go to the net hard and mess with that AHL goalie they have over there.....I'm looking at you DSP and Wiess and Prust and Galchenyuk.

Maybe its time to call up McCarron? My advice would be "just stand in front of the net"

but realistically I think MT will throw a curve ball out there to mess with their defensive strategy.hopefully its enough to make them second guess themselves.

Maybe its time to call up McCarron? My advice would be "just stand in front of the net"

That's not an option. The only way McCarron can be recalled is if the Habs were to drop to 11 healthy forwards (ie, an emergency recall situation).

Guest Stogey24

The biggest problem Montreal has is sustaining pressure down low in the offense zone against teams that lay the body. Their cycle game goes to shit when they start getting hit.

Montreal is a much more disciplined team, if the PP starts to click at the right time, this team could show Hammonds true colours. Pacioretty is a big time x-factor for sure though.

Agreed. Habs have problems sustaining pressure down low in the offensive zone. Flip side of that coin in their own end they do not lay on the body, prone to getting hemmed in. Even the leafs were moving the puck around in the habs end last night without getting touched. While i like the six D that MT chose to play last night, as Knuckles said "nobody is apprehensive in the slightest to go right into the habs kitchen".

Guest Stogey24

Agreed. Habs have problems sustaining pressure down low in the offensive zone. Flip side of that coin in their own end they do not lay on the body, prone to getting hemmed in. Even the leafs were moving the puck around in the habs end last night without getting touched. While i like the six D that MT chose to play last night, as Knuckles said "nobody is apprehensive in the slightest to go right into the habs kitchen".

No one can clear the net. Emelin is the only one that plays with an edge back there.

I think Gallagher has to get right in Hammond's kitchen and set up shop. Literally, BG has to take a dump on the kitchen counter and smear it all over the crease.

This is why I come here. I'd never ever have come up with that as a strategy. I'm assuming we're talking a two-handed deep knee bend smear and not a one handed slide by. Brilliant! Ottawa won't know what smeared'em.

Defense-Habs. Senators have four kids on D that would be in the #6 spot on MTL.

Forwards-Draw. Senators ride a hot streak in propelling a very mediocre forward group ahead of an average one.

Goaltending-Habs

Coaching-Habs. MT vs a mid season replacement.

Special Teams-Draw

Okay.. that's helping a little.. thanks.. :1vomit:

There are a lot of differences between that team and this team, for starters we a lot more healthy.

"Players looked to be in shock after the game that it could be over so soon.

“It’s a heartbreaker,” said winger Max Pacioretty. “A couple of bounces the other way and we come into (Game 5) up 3-1.”

While the Canadiens felt they outplayed Ottawa in all but Game 3 — a fight-filled 6-1 defeat — they were outscored 20-9 in the series, including 13-0 in third periods and one overtime period."

This is basically how I remember the series, it did not seem like a 5 game series loss. Ottawa got a bunch of breaks and it could have easily went the other way, Anderson played great though. This version of the Habs is a much better version than the worst-to-first team they were, and also much healthier. Don't forget that Price wasn't in net for two of the losses that series either. I think the Sens have pushed themselves to the limit on this playoff push that they have already achieved what they set out to do, and this will be the end of the road for them.

Its a heartbreaker, said winger Max Pacioretty. A couple of bounces the other way and we come into (Game 5) up 3-1.

While the Canadiens felt they outplayed Ottawa in all but Game 3 a fight-filled 6-1 defeat they were outscored 20-9 in the series, including 13-0 in third periods and one overtime period."

This is basically how I remember the series, it did not seem like a 5 game series loss. Ottawa got a bunch of breaks and it could have easily went the other way, Anderson played great though. This version of the Habs is a much better version than the worst-to-first team they were, and also much healthier. Don't forget that Price wasn't in net for two of the losses that series either. I think the Sens have pushed themselves to the limit on this playoff push that they have already achieved what they set out to do, and this will be the end of the road for them.

I've seen three games in the last two weeks from Ottawa and they're nothing to write home about. They have a group of questionable talent with two rookies, Hoffman who has been quiet and Stone who is red hot, leading the charge.

This is a team with heart, a team they can not allow to hang around. What was both impressive and unimpressive was their game against Pittsburgh. They let up three goals in the first period and Pittsburgh quit playing in the second and third period. Then the Senators had one of their little touch the rainbow miracle moments.

I haven't seen anything impressive in those three games out of "The Hamburglar." He's looked quite ordinary and in the Pittsburgh game, I'm surprised he wasn't pulled for a real goalie.

Borowiecki and Gryba are susceptible. A two man forecheck will run them out of the rink. Methot and Karlsson are almost as good as Markov and PK, but Petry Emelin blow Wiercoch (26 scratches in a year) and Check out of the water.

Each year there is this magical team on a miracle run that folds when they play a real team. This is the Senators. They deserve to be in the playoffs because of their miracle run, but they are hardly a playoff caliber team. Having four rookies on the back end and two rooks leading the scoring is no recipe foe playoff success. They also have the worst center depth in the playoffs by a country mile.

I think the Habs are going to kill them. Check out my similar comments last year about Tampa when most on this board were fretting about Anders Lindback being the first star of the week before playoffs.

The fans of Ottawa are on full emotion ride, some are even suggesting that Pageau should go shop for Conn Smythe trophy polish. (Bonks Mullett) They're in for a cold shot when life under Melnyk begins two weeks from now.

Lots of different takes on how this series will go. I think this will be a long series, and both of these teams will go as far as their goaltenders take them.

Probably the only play off teams where their goaltender is their best player. Maybe Nashville too.

“It’s a heartbreaker,” said winger Max Pacioretty. “A couple of bounces the other way and we come into (Game 5) up 3-1.”

While the Canadiens felt they outplayed Ottawa in all but Game 3 — a fight-filled 6-1 defeat — they were outscored 20-9 in the series, including 13-0 in third periods and one overtime period."

That series was a heart breaker, I still can't forget the 6-1 brawl loss, Gryba's hit on Eller... enduring the Ottawa sport's radio trashing of the Canadiens.... since, I've moved to Montreal's 690 (which can be picked-up fairly well Ottawa)

I think Montreal will win in 6. splitting two games in Ottawa and losing one game in Montreal.... It will be a roller coaster ride, because the kids in Ottawa don't quit, and some (like Pageau) always show up against Montreal.

Looking forward to it, hoping we can crush Ottawa's spirits and put them back where they belong: on the golf course !

GO HABS GO!!!

The red light behind the Ottawa net will be lit so much, hamburgler will use it as a heat lamp for his burgers.

I just did a playoff hockey pool picking mostly Habs and Wild players. All in baby.

Best way to do playoff pools. All or nothing on a team from each conference.

The red light behind the Ottawa net will be lit so much, hamburgler will use it as a heat lamp for his burgers.

Best way to do playoff pools. All or nothing on a team from each conference.

Unless it's our playoff pool where you get to change players after the first and second rounds before going all-in on two teams.

Rangers Wild ..... for the pool.

I cheer with my heart, but i don't bet with it.

Have until Wednesday to enter team. Will look mull over the western teams, but favoring the Wild.

Anybody think the Jets will beat the Ducks?

The question is not "How good is Montreal?" We know how good the Habs are. We are a non-dominant contender for the cup. Subban played his best season ever. Pacioretty (if he plays) is a superstar. Carey Price is the best goalie in the NHL. Beyond our superstars we have a bunch of decent 2nd and third liners. We can win a cup with this team, but parity in the league being what it is, it's an uphill battle.

The Senators -- who are they? Are they the team that stunk up the first half of the season? I don't think so. A team that bad can't have a hot streak that lasts a half season. Are they the team that dominated the entire NHL over their second half? That... I don't know. They don't look like it. They got consistently great goaltending from a nobody call-up backup. But he hasn't let up... and a hot goaltender can turn a bunch of nobodies into contenders. And I'm not sure that they are nobodies.

Montreal at their best can beat either Ottawa team. The point is we have to be at our best. We haven't been for the last month and a bit. They have. If they are still playing on a high, and we're still playing like average joes, we don't have a chance.

I just don't see it. There's a stat being thrown out there, 24-4-4, but here's the thing, the Sens are 6-2-2 in their last 10 when they were supposedly winning a game seven every night. The Rags rested their starters as well. These kids are going to learn the same lessons as the Lightning did last year.

Habs in 5