Habs Acquire Jeff Petry

Habsfan84

They can't afford Petry, at this point they have too much money sunk into the blueline as is. There's a hypothetical situation out there where MB trades Emelin to get Petry, but that leaves the Habs really unbalanced on the back end, too many puck movers. They should just roll with the kids and make an adjustment if they need it in December.

Beaulieu-Subban

Markov-Gilbert

Emelin-Pateryn

Tinordi

Keep Petry, Move Emelin.

Stop trying to be something you're not. With Carey in net, good puck movers are exactly what you need. Let Patyrn and Tinordi replace what Emelin brings.

Guest Stogey24

Emelin had a good gamne, but he had some terrible pinches last night that went unnoticed on here. I harp on him pretty bad, so I kept my mouth shut. He just doesn't care/notice when he's the last man back, he still goes for the little pinch that stems an odd man rush

His cap hit is 4,6 but Habs paid only 3,75 on that cap hit since he didn't play the whole year with us.

Keep in mind that the cap fluctuates on a daily basis depending on the roster on any given day.

Ok but what the Habs actually paid him is irrelavant in cap terms. The cap is what they have to deal with so next year they have 4.6 avilable. No?

Not what I understood from Brian's post.

If the Habs spent every dollars they could this season, it probably means that they would have to unload an additionnal 850k (4,6M - 3,75M) to afford a whole 4,6M next season.

Brian ? :unsure:

They can't afford Petry, at this point they have too much money sunk into the blueline as is. There's a hypothetical situation out there where MB trades Emelin to get Petry, but that leaves the Habs really unbalanced on the back end, too many puck movers. They should just roll with the kids and make an adjustment if they need it in December.

Beaulieu-Subban

Markov-Gilbert

Emelin-Pateryn

Tinordi

Sorry but I think we need Petry and if we can get him for 5 million we do it. JMO

Ok but what the Habs actually paid him is irrelavant in cap terms. The cap is what they have to deal with so next year they have 4.6 avilable. No?

MoLG's point was trying to go over what the Habs paid for that blueline spot, split between Gonchar and Gilbert. In that instance, yes, the actual amount charged against the cap (and paid) for that particular spot on the roster is relevant.

If the Habs spent every dollars they could this season, it probably means that they would have to unload an additionnal 850k (4,6M - 3,75M) to afford a whole 4,6M next season.

In simplicity, yes. When you dig deeper and look at pending raises/expiring deals over the next few years though, they'd need to clear more money longer-term to realistically afford him at $5+.

Trade DD for a draft pick and voila. 3.5 freed up

You know who, a cheaper bigger better young centre...lots of them available in lollypopland.

And why not have 1/2 of capspace spent on defense, don't need more offense up front.

You know who, a cheaper bigger better young centre...lots of them available in lollypopland.

And why not have 1/2 of capspace spent on defense, don't need more offense up front.

lolypopland? Lets see, a bigger better young centre cheaper. You're funning me again in aren't you.

Sarcasm reigns supreme.

Hudon may be ready for top 9 minutes next year, who knows.. AG could be forced to play #2 Center, that's two lineup changes we could do to replace DD..but, I digress. I'm going to stay focused on this post-season, and just hope that Petry gives MB the first chance this summer. :thumbs_up:

Agree would like to keep Petry, but I think/contend he is just a rental and we should forget about trying to keep him. Got Pateryn & Tinordi who would need to pass through waivers to be sent to AHL and are much much cheaper options.

And I thought majority of HabFans were clamoring for a top 6 winger upgrade as most important fix needed?

Cant sign Petry and upgrade top six also, even with some wheeling and dealing of current contracts seems a very remote possibility.

Petry isn't signing here. He's been adamant about testing the open market, and he's also from Michigan, so given their need and his hometown, I think he'll be on Detroit next season. Michiganders are also very sentimental about their state/teams, my gf is from Flint/Flushing.

Agree would like to keep Petry, but I think/contend he is just a rental and we should forget about trying to keep him. Got Pateryn & Tinordi who would need to pass through waivers to be sent to AHL and are much much cheaper options.

And I thought majority of HabFans were clamoring for a top 6 winger upgrade as most important fix needed?

Cant sign Petry and upgrade top six also, even with some wheeling and dealing of current contracts seems a very remote possibility.

Marc makes magic. I will refer to him as Magic Man from now on if he can accomplish this task.

Petry isn't signing here. He's been adamant about testing the open market, and he's also from Michigan, so given their need and his hometown, I think he'll be on Detroit next season. Michiganders are also very sentimental about their state/teams, my gf is from Flint/Flushing.

I saw him going to Detroit as well. Possible his heart is set in going there, but Detroit themselves might cut out that opportunity if they still want to trade for Phaneuf after getting close at the deadline.

I saw him going to Detroit as well. Possible his heart is set in going there, but Detroit themselves might cut out that opportunity if they still want to trade for Phaneuf after getting close at the deadline.

Maybe he can revive his career there. I would want out of Toronto asap, if I were him.

If Holland trades for Phaneuf at $7M + gives up assets over Petry at around $5.5M tops, he is nuts.

I think Dion can turn it around. Petry wows with his skating and first pass, but I don't think he has the offensive ceiling or physicality that Phaneuf has.

Phaneuf may turn it around, but he isn't a top pairing dman. so even if he turns it around, he'll never be worth $7M, just like Kessel will never be worth $8m.

• 1 month later...

HMM imagine that.

That GM was Bergevin!

Hey it 33 million for 6 years not 35-40. :rastapop:

• Upvote 1

if he is worth 33 mill .......... kieth, doughty, hedman, subban, weber, petrangelo and the likes are worth 150 mill. :rofl:

Salary for players is all a gamble every time a contract is signed, and the values change as well as the commodities importance from year to year, this year it's D men, next year it's RW's, the next year it's muscle, the next year it's skill, it all depends on team needs and holes in lineups, and availability to fill that hole.

For every argument saying Petry for instance isn't worth his new deal, there is an example such as Dion Pilon in Toronto that indicates Petry is worth every cent...

Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one, and Bergevin signed the best UFA possible for the Montreal Canadiens roster deficiencies, end of story.

Guest Stogey24

Salary for players is all a gamble every time a contract is signed, and the values change as well as the commodities importance from year to year, this year it's D men, next year it's RW's, the next year it's muscle, the next year it's skill, it all depends on team needs and holes in lineups, and availability to fill that hole.For every argument saying Petry for instance isn't worth his new deal, there is an example such as Dion Pilon in Toronto that indicates Petry is worth every cent...Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one, and Bergevin signed the best UFA possible for the Montreal Canadiens roster deficiencies, end of story.

The signing pretty much had to be done.