Training Camp Thread

dlbalr

With the training camp roster supposedly coming this afternoon, we may as well get the thread going early.

Early news and notes (some of which you may know already):

- Beaulieu has apparently changed numbers this year from 40 to 28. For those who didn't follow the rookie camp roster, Sekac now has 26 instead of 57.

- According to Bob McKenzie, Alex Galchenyuk will be deployed at C to start camp. If he shows he can handle the defensive responsibilities, he may stay there.

- At least two players will be at camp on PTO's, Francis Bouillon and Drayson Bowman.

All those people that bought Beaulieu jerseys must be pissed!

I wonder why he didn't pick the number from Day 1. Granted, my memory isn't the best, but I can't remember the #28 being used in recent years.

I wonder why he didn't pick the number from Day 1. Granted, my memory isn't the best, but I can't remember the #28 being used in recent years.

Joonas Nattinen was the last to wear the number. He may have had dibs on it, even if he was hardly an NHLer. Locker room respect and all that.

This is why I'd never buy a sweater of a young player. Watched my friends buy Bure's and have to buy new ones when he switched his number.

There shouldn't be too many who already had Beaulieu jerseys. 30 NHL GP shouldn't be enough to have fans flocking to the stores to get one.

I think people are crazy to buy the jersey of nearly ANY active player, especially in this day and age of high player mobility. Jerseys are just too expensive to be throwing away on a Higgins or Komisarek or Cammalleri. You're much better off with retired players. The only exception might be those very rare 'cool' players whose jersey will retain its resonance regardless of future circumstances. E.g., when I see someone wearing a "KOVALEV 27" I still think that's sorta cool, just because Kovy was such a memorable bad-ass. The same might be true of Subban. But those are exceptions. Go with Koivu, or Roy, or any number of other former greats.

I think people are crazy to buy the jersey of nearly ANY active player, especially in this day and age of high player mobility. Jerseys are just too expensive to be throwing away on a Higgins or Komisarek or Cammalleri. You're much better off with retired players. The only exception might be those very rare 'cool' players whose jersey will retain its resonance regardless of future circumstances. E.g., when I see someone wearing a "KOVALEV 27" I still think that's sorta cool, just because Kovy was such a memorable bad-ass. The same might be true of Subban. But those are exceptions. Go with Koivu, or Roy, or any number of other former greats.

I have a Higgins jersey. But I bought that a year and a half ago for 25 dollars off EBay. I'm hoping that someone worthwile gets the number 21 and I can get the nameplate changed.

I have a Higgins jersey. But I bought that a year and a half ago for 25 dollars off EBay. I'm hoping that someone worthwile gets the number 21 and I can get the nameplate changed.

Yep, that's another way to do it! I'm pretty sure that most of the "obsolete" jerseys you see were purchased at or around full price, though.

I was given by Kovalev for Christmas, otherwise I would have picked a different player.

I also agree it's better to go legendary than current. However, I have mad respect for when someone is at a game wearing a fringe player. Like I saw a guy who wore a Janik and wasn't related to Doug Janik. Also almost purchased a Metropolit. Heck I can't stand PJ Stock but I'd have to give props to someone who spent the money on a STOCK sweater. At least when he was playing. Buying it now would be an endorsement of the doorknob.

I kind of like wearing sweaters of a player who never played for the team. Always wanted to goto Boston wearing a Bobby Orr #4 or a Cam Neely #8 in a Habs sweater, just to see the reaction :)

• Upvote 1

:wall:

I was given by Kovalev for Christmas, otherwise I would have picked a different player.

I also agree it's better to go legendary than current. However, I have mad respect for when someone is at a game wearing a fringe player. Like I saw a guy who wore a Janik and wasn't related to Doug Janik. Also almost purchased a Metropolit. Heck I can't stand PJ Stock but I'd have to give props to someone who spent the money on a STOCK sweater. At least when he was playing. Buying it now would be an endorsement of the doorknob.

I kind of like wearing sweaters of a player who never played for the team. Always wanted to goto Boston wearing a Bobby Orr #4 or a Cam Neely #8 in a Habs sweater, just to see the reaction :)

ALMOST bought a Malakhov 38 last year. Thought about Corson 27 as well...

:wall:

Ha ha, didn't mean to bring up old wounds!

I used to have a Ludwig jersey, years ago; so I can sort of relate to the appeal of getting a jersey with a 'fringe' guy's name on it. Wouldn't do it now, though, not with the costs of those things.

I agree. My team hockey number is 2 and we're Montreal Canadiens colours so I bought a 'home' and 'away' #2 Habs jerseys. I liked Doug Harvey a lot and this kills two birds with one stone. Except, the jerseys smell really bad so wearing them out in public does have its consequences.

Last year I bought a Subban jersey during the playoffs. Don't regret it for a second.

I see McCarron changed his number to #34, Jacob De la Rose now has #25. Wonder what happened there?

Hopefully Scherbak takes #21!

Great news!! I have some old jerseys guys.. some are even washed... and I'm willing to part with them!

No reasonable offers refused! No unreasonable offers refused!

I even have matching undershorts! I'll throw them in for free with every jersey.. washed or not.

I'll even throw them out!

Hurry and order. No rainchecks.

Operators are waiting for your call!

Enjoyed the article of the forward battles for a spot on the team from Dbalr, lot's of food for thought. I like the optimism about Hudon, I really like his game.

Questions I would ask you members are, do you think Bergevin has left this spot open for a forward because he really believes one will grab that spot?

OR

Will that roster spot be open for a tough guy, and the 3rd line wing spot will go to Bournival?

Guest Stogey24

Enjoyed the article of the forward battles for a spot on the team from Dbalr, lot's of food for thought. I like the optimism about Hudon, I really like his game.

Questions I would ask you members are, do you think Bergevin has left this spot open for a forward because he really believes one will grab that spot?

OR

Will that roster spot be open for a tough guy, and the 3rd line wing spot will go to Bournival?

I can't see Bournival in Montreal's future