2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

We don't. I could only bother to type the first 50 NA skaters as per CSB. Use 'other' when you think he'll be picked to score points on that selection.

Yah used Other, just thought since he is sure fire late 1st rounder that i missed name; thats all

At this point, to me, it's Yakupov, Grigorenko then Galchenyuk. How can you pass up a 6'3" 200 lbs centerman with unreal skills? Galchenyuk's too darn risky, I'd take Grigorenko over Galchenyuk.

At this point, to me, it's Yakupov, Grigorenko then Galchenyuk. How can you pass up a 6'3" 200 lbs centerman with unreal skills? Galchenyuk's too darn risky, I'd take Grigorenko over Galchenyuk.

Galchenyuk is more risky than Grigorenko? Yeah, the consensus of Bob McKenzie's actual NHL scouts who he surveyed doesn't agree with that. The risks on Grigorenko have him falling to 12th on that list.

Jacques Beaulieu (head coach Sarnia Sting, father of Nathan Beaulieu) quote:

“If I were Trevor Timmins, I would draft Galchenyuk if he is still available. He is a responsible player who challenges his opponent every night and works hard every day. In my opinion he will be a front line centre in the NHL He may need another year in junior but that is only because he missed so many games this season.”

I've heard rumblings of the Oilers flopping picks with Columbus to select Murray and giving the Jackets Yakupov.

That would guarantee us Gally at 3.

24 HOURS UNTIL DRAFT!

Galchenyuk is more risky than Grigorenko? Yeah, the consensus of Bob McKenzie's actual NHL scouts who he surveyed doesn't agree with that. The risks on Grigorenko have him falling to 12th on that list.

I think he got the two mixed up. Everything I've read suggests that Galchenyuk is the guy we must grab, if he's available. I wouldn't rule it out, but it'd require a bit of luck, it seems.

Jacques Beaulieu (head coach Sarnia Sting, father of Nathan Beaulieu) quote:

“If I were Trevor Timmins, I would draft Galchenyuk if he is still available. He is a responsible player who challenges his opponent every night and works hard every day. In my opinion he will be a front line centre in the NHL He may need another year in junior but that is only because he missed so many games this season.”

I've heard rumblings of the Oilers flopping picks with Columbus to select Murray and giving the Jackets Yakupov.

That would guarantee us Gally at 3.

24 HOURS UNTIL DRAFT!

Someone should tell Dad to stop giving out the strategy.... LOL

No, I meant Grigorenko. Granted, I haven't seen either of them play, but let's not forget Galchenyuk missed an entire year, and going off the season before the draft year can be dangerous. Remember Esposito? McFarland? It just worries the crap out of me.

With that being said, I would LOVE Galchenyuk, and I hope to goodness he reaches his vast potential, and would be extremely happy. I just think that Grigorenko's fall from consensus #2 to outside the top 10 is a bit crazy, considering it happened only as he entered the playoffs. Remember the WJC? The guy is an animal, and a rare combination of talent and skill. I think he could make people look really dumb in 5 years, and I wouldn't be shocked if some of the rumours about him are being helped along by teams in the 4-8 range who would love to grab him.

Griffin Reinhart is soaring up the rankings, up to #4 on TSN and tonight was potentially linked to the Habs at 3.

Saw that. Shea Weber comparisons.

Interesting, but I think it's Gally or Forsberg unless Yak somehow falls to us.

With Grigo, I really wonder how much of stole the able and mono played on his performence. That's what scares me of passing on him and having the leafs pick him up.

No, I meant Grigorenko. Granted, I haven't seen either of them play, but let's not forget Galchenyuk missed an entire year, and going off the season before the draft year can be dangerous. Remember Esposito? McFarland? It just worries the crap out of me.

With that being said, I would LOVE Galchenyuk, and I hope to goodness he reaches his vast potential, and would be extremely happy. I just think that Grigorenko's fall from consensus #2 to outside the top 10 is a bit crazy, considering it happened only as he entered the playoffs. Remember the WJC? The guy is an animal, and a rare combination of talent and skill. I think he could make people look really dumb in 5 years, and I wouldn't be shocked if some of the rumours about him are being helped along by teams in the 4-8 range who would love to grab him.

I agree with your assessment of Grigo H29R. He is a bit of a wild card. Ultimately we have to put are trust in Timmins.Given what the Canadians have done in past, Grigo would be no surprise to me if that is our selection.

Grigo never felt like the type of forward Timmins typically likes. With all the questions now I dont think we'll touch him with a 20 foot pole at 3.

All bets are off if he falls to 15 and we go after a second pick, but not at 3

Grigo never felt like the type of forward Timmins typically likes. With all the questions now I dont think we'll touch him with a 20 foot pole at 3.

Based on the quotes from MB and TT yesterday you'd have to think Grigorenko will not be chosen. I mean they essentially said they look for skill then character with who they chose. Now unless TT has been holding private meeting with Grigorenko and has an understanding of him that others do not then you'd have to think that unless Yakupov falls to #3 then TT will be going with Galchenyuk #1and to be honest I know we have the D but a kid like either Murray or Dumba #3.

Just a hunch though, nothi

You said something that I have been wondering about. Whoever we take at # 3, do you think if Grigorenko had not yet been selected by say the 15th or 17th pick, would we consider packaging our two 2nd round picks and try to swap with another team for their first [if it's after the 15th picks or so] and try to get Grigs?? What do you think? Would we do it and would another team think that would be a worthwhile trade down??

You said something that I have been wondering about. Whoever we take at # 3, do you think if Grigorenko had not yet been selected by say the 15th or 17th pick, would we consider packaging our two 2nd round picks and try to swap with another team for their first [if it's after the 15th picks or so] and try to get Grigs?? What do you think? Would we do it and would another team think that would be a worthwhile trade down??

Here's my thing. I think Grig is going to be an excellent player in the NHL. I don't see him busting. I see him becoming an Alex Semin style player where he's absolutely brimming with skill but there isn't much to him other than the fact he can sometimes be the best player on the ice offensively.

Outside of the top 10, he's a no brainer. You could be getting yourself an 80 point player. You can surround him with character players that clean up his mistakes and let him focus on just being a skill guy. In the Top 10, he's not as much of a no brainer but if I'm the Ducks, Wild, Jets or Capitals I take Grigorenko and never look back. If I'm the Leafs I'll likely do it. Bolts and Islanders I have needs on D instead. If I'm the Hurricanes I might have Jordan Staal coming in so it'd be better to go with a D.

So if somehow all of those teams skipped him and we could move up to get him? Pull the trigger.

Here's my thing. I think Grig is going to be an excellent player in the NHL. I don't see him busting. I see him becoming an Alex Semin style player where he's absolutely brimming with skill but there isn't much to him other than the fact he can sometimes be the best player on the ice offensively.

Outside of the top 10, he's a no brainer. You could be getting yourself an 80 point player. You can surround him with character players that clean up his mistakes and let him focus on just being a skill guy. In the Top 10, he's not as much of a no brainer but if I'm the Ducks, Wild, Jets or Capitals I take Grigorenko and never look back. If I'm the Leafs I'll likely do it. Bolts and Islanders I have needs on D instead. If I'm the Hurricanes I might have Jordan Staal coming in so it'd be better to go with a D.

So if somehow all of those teams skipped him and we could move up to get him? Pull the trigger.

This is probably on the mark. Nice analysis.

The thing with this sudden drop-off in Grigorenko's standing is: what's driving it? How can a guy go from being widely ranked at #2 overall to plunging to a middling pick in a matter of weeks?

I see two possible explanations. One is it that he had mono and a bad playoff, which compounded existing concerns about character, so teams are mindlessly stampeding for the exits. I can totally see that kind of groupthink happening in a league where every team scrambles in Pavolvian fashion, seemingly on an annual basis, to copy the style of the Cup winner. If so, then this is just another exercise in collective stupidity and the team that bags Grigs is laughing.

On the other hand, it may be just the reverse: as teams get more and more intense about scouting guys in the run-up to the draft - conducting psychological profiles, interviews, digging deep - they like what they see of Grigs less and less. In this case, his drop-off reflects due diligence, and the team that bags Girgs has at best landed the new Semin.

In the end it depends on how competent and independent-minded you think NHL scouting operations are. Lord knows, there is no shortage of 'expert' communities in the world who ultimately just follow fads - c.f. the financial wizards who brought us the 2008 meltdown - I don't rule out explanation (1) by any stretch.

Griffin Reinhart is soaring up the rankings, up to #4 on TSN and tonight was potentially linked to the Habs at 3.

Yes, he was solidly in 10th, but his size/blodlines/good finish to season and all round OK game he must be looking more tempting to some, but i stil doubt will be in top 5.

No not likely for Grigorenko, who i still see going maybe 6th to Ducks or top 10 at least. Our 33rd pick will still get a highly rated guy.

Any team would consider trading, all have their price and if Timmins sees a prospect like Tinordi, who he is really high on, fall far (say a Collberg/Gaunce/Faksa falls to 20th- 25th) i am sure he may try and trade up.

But if someone offers two 3rds or some good deal for a 2nd, he would also likely be open to trading down for increase in # of picks (as he did last year).

1000's of options and scenarios can play out, should be very interesting.

I would do it.

We might have to add more though. Typically 33 + 51 would be worth a low 20s pick in the last couple drafts.

Through in Weber and we might have enough to get to 15.

Columbus trades 3 picks including #45 overall for Bobrovsky.

Columbus trading for Bobrovsky just proves it. The talk that Columbus won't take a chance on a Russian was all paranoid xenophobic media B.S.