Tom Gilbert Isn't Getting the Job Done

Lovett's Magnatones

Please don't mention JG ever again haha

you should hear what that tool Damian Cox was saying. He felt that the habs were really missing Josh Gorges and that letting him go is a reason for the inconsistency and them getting blown away.

you should hear what that tool Damian Cox was saying. He felt that the habs were really missing Josh Gorges and that letting him go is a reason for the inconsistency and them getting blown away.

I was a Gorges fan, assumed he would be captain, but Weaver is likely not a big drop off and then add Gilbert for basically same salary, is a plus.

And am not fond of soft d-men, but Gilbert is what he is and haven't seen much real crap or excellent play from him and he has played a ton of minutes and he is a +d-man.

I did think he might be a bit more offensive, but is early in season.

• Upvote 1

lol that tells you all you need to know about Cox and his hockey knowledge.

As I said. Gorges 4 million forced emelin to the right where he was garbage. Gilbert's 2.8 moves emelin to the left and he is eating huge minutes. The trade is a win so far in my books.

everything good i hear about gilbert has to do with dumping gorges and his salary or giving emelin more minutes of his proper side or banacing out the d with left handed and right handed shooters. lol............nobody has a good scouting report about "how he plays hockey"

everything good i hear about gilbert has to do with dumping gorges and his salary or giving emelin more minutes of his proper side or banacing out the d with left handed and right handed shooters. lol............nobody has a good scouting report about "how he plays hockey"

Well.....go ahead....lets hear it.

Exactly how does he play hockey? :rolleyes:

Has he had Beaulieu-type gaffs?

He takes dumb penalties?

He pinches making bad decisions and gives up odd-man rushes every game?

Is a - player?

He only blocks shots by accident?

His positioning is bad and leaves guys wide open in front of Price?

He is main reason Habs are sucking so far?

He cant score and gets 1:10 on PP every game?

tom gilbert is an efficient hockey player... he won't dazzle like subban or throw the body like emelin.... rarely takes chances which makes him safe and efficient. he passes the puck out when he can and chips it out when he has to...

as a defender he'll make mistakes ultimately leading to goals against, its the nature of the beast! all defenders have gaffs, some more then others

From what I have seen, Gilbert has been far more reliable than beaulieu or Tinordi. I am not a huge fanboy, but at 2.8 million, I think he has done his job. The guy I would question is 9 million dollar Subban. His contract limits depth and says "I am good enough to make the players around me awesome, and they will produce because of me." Like lidstrom, weber, doughty, chara, Crosby, Malkin, Towes, Kane, Stamkos. I have not seen this elite presense from Phaneuf 2.0. I want production out of him. At this point he is over rated in my eyes.

From what I have seen, Gilbert has been far more reliable than beaulieu or Tinordi. I am not a huge fanboy, but at 2.8 million, I think he has done his job. The guy I would question is 9 million dollar Subban. His contract limits depth and says "I am good enough to make the players around me awesome, and they will produce because of me." Like lidstrom, weber, doughty, chara, Crosby, Malkin, Towes, Kane, Stamkos. I have not seen this elite presense from Phaneuf 2.0. I want production out of him. At this point he is over rated in my eyes.

Wont argue with that. Although i am not a gilbert fan (too soft) he is here replacing gorges at a lower cost and is not expected to do much more than he has. As far as Subban, as i have stated on another thred.....he is having his poorest season to date. He is also a huge part of a horrible powerplay that is on the verge of setting records in futility on the road. Yes for 9 mill......if is game does not take a huge swing upward............it will be a popular topic.

yup but lets pick on gilbert instead today.....

so "all defenders do it, its the nature of the beast"

well then..., bring up the kids, or bring kabby back, how about boulion? maybe murray. "they all do it"

me, i agree with the title of this thread.

yes all defenders make mistakes, gaffs, that lead to goals. its the nature of the beast that is defence!! you don't make sense sometimes....

are we comparing gilbert to kaberle and murray now? subban, chara, weber, keith and doughty don't make mistakes that result in goals?? i don't get where your going with this? and bouillon was a very serviceable defencmen BTW.

gilbert is being paid as our 5th best defencemen behind

subban

markov

gonchar

emelin

and for all i can see has been earning his pay so far this season.

Wont argue with that. Although i am not a gilbert fan (too soft) he is here replacing gorges at a lower cost and is not expected to do much more than he has. As far as Subban, as i have stated on another thred.....he is having his poorest season to date. He is also a huge part of a horrible powerplay that is on the verge of setting records in futility on the road. Yes for 9 mill......if is game does not take a huge swing upward............it will be a popular topic.

emelin has replaced gorges on the left in the top 4....

gonchar has replaced emelin on the right in the top 4

gilbert right now has replaced a platoon of bouillon, beaulieau and murray on the 3rd pair

and weaver replaced diaz on the right after the trade for weise.

gilbert has been brought in at half the wage to replace gorges who is a bottom pair guy that we over paid and over played every night!

as for PK, i can't wait till he reaches mid season form, I'm hoping it comes right in time for holidays when we head out west twice!!

emelin has replaced gorges on the left in the top 4....

gonchar has replaced emelin on the right in the top 4

gilbert right now has replaced a platoon of bouillon, beaulieau and murray on the 3rd pair

and weaver replaced diaz on the right after the trade for weise.

gilbert has been brought in at half the wage to replace gorges who is a bottom pair guy that we over paid and over played every night!

as for PK, i can't wait till he reaches mid season form, I'm hoping it comes right in time for holidays when we head out west twice!!

Man, you have been having a lot of moments of clarity lately, really diggin' your posts!

PK will turn it around. This style of play is what the coaches want. I'm an MT fan, but he aspires to mistake free hockey instead of the free wheeling brand of Subban. That's why we have Bryan Allen up instead of Tinordi.

mt has never had a team that came close to that type of "mistake free hockey" that is being referred to

pk subban, doughty, karlsson, kieth, chara, none of them play mistake free hockey...............they do what got them here.

pk will turn it around .he is too good not to................. when he stops listening to therrien, and plays the way he can...........lol......he'll be much better

Coach-T isn't being nice to PK, or coaching him wrong? Bad coachin will get ya every time!

But I think TG will be fine (if one has realistic expectations) bad coaching or not.

PK came up from hamilton in the 010 play off run and recorded 8 points in 9 games. Scored 14 goals in his rookie season tying guy lapointes rookie record. Next year held out a few games and was leading for the norris by the time he and MT were barely introduced. In other the kid was well on his way.before he ever met MT..........last year he was not close to norris consideration . This year struggling and playing ok at best. Been watching Subban since junior and i can say this ............Therrien has done not thing for this kids game.

PK came up from hamilton in the 010 play off run and recorded 8 points in 9 games. Scored 14 goals in his rookie season tying guy lapointes rookie record. Next year held out a few games and was leading for the norris by the time he and MT were barely introduced. In other the kid was well on his way.before he ever met MT..........last year he was not close to norris consideration . This year struggling and playing ok at best. Been watching Subban since junior and i can say this ............Therrien has done not thing for this kids game.

They seem to want him (like CC mentioned before me) to be a generic offensive defenseman. From the eye test, it looks like Subban has gotten better in his own end. I also think playing with Markov is giving PK a complex. He was a fan of the guy when he was a kid. That's enough to follow Larry into the sport's psychologist office.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Gilbert may be in pressbox soon, as the #7 d-man in practice?

yes he has been bumped to seventh, because as the title of the thread says "he is not getting the job done"

Now i'm a risk taker who likes to see the young guys play more than a coach like MT is willing to do. But i think that if you play Tinordi for the next 59 games as the sixth D (odd night in press box if ness) you would have a young big capable d that will be an asset in the play offs. But thats just me.

Please don't mention JG ever again haha

ha! could not agree more

Simple fact is, the habs tend to control play while gilbert's on the ice. Say what you want about his lack of production (I wanted to see more), or his soft play (he's unquestionably too soft), but when he's on the ice, we're controlling the flow of play. He's not costing us goals, and he's helping enabling us to score them, even without the assists. Puck possession matters - it's why we dropped Gorges, who cost 1.1 million more than Gilbert.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

They're trying to make Subban a complete player. Unlike Erik Karlsson