Who is the most untouchable Hab?

dlbalr

The worrisome thing to me about Galchenyuk is that he still seems to be inclined to make individual plays, rather than use the whole ice and his teammates. Great players have vision. Does he have it? I don't know.

But before we go around insulting him, we should remember that he sure looked good for the first, oh, 10-15 games of this season. Maybe he's just regressing a bit, needs the coaches to sit down and remind him about what he needs to do, and will get back on track. Young guys do tend to develop in fits and starts.

He did fire one ton of rubber at Sabre net.

(Boone had it at 16 shot attempts, I will take that as good sign he is more a young Pacioretty...than A Daigle)

Sad but true! Fickle group eh?

old old saying about the habs

"fans expect to you to win...........or atleast tie.......as long as you dont tie to often"

so blowouts and back to back losses to last place teams...... they get strong reactions

nothing new hear

Sad but true! Fickle group eh?

old old saying about the habs

"fans expect to you to win...........or atleast tie.......as long as you dont tie to often"

so blowouts and back to back losses to last place teams...... they get strong reactions

nothing new hear

Nah Just Habs fans that's all. We got spoiled by all those cups so many years ago.

Yes, vaguely remember father cursing when Habs only won by a goal or two in late 70s. So, you are correct and not much changes for many HabFans.

Passion can cause irrational reactions for sure.

Yes, vaguely remember father cursing when Habs only won by a goal or two in late 70s. So, you are correct and not much changes for many HabFans.

Passion can cause irrational reactions for sure.

Yeah I remember back in 76 we lost 8 games all year but some of the fans were pissed off because we had 12 ties, far too many. Ahhh what we wouldn't give for that now.

I have bit lowered expectations these days, simply hope for best and enjoy pulling for team to bitter end, even when down by 2- or 3 goals, because i still remember the 3rd period comeback vs Rangers when Kovalev and Koivu helped mount cool comeback and last year vs Sens was awesome final bit of game also, so stick it out till end of every game.

I have bit lowered expectations these days, simply hope for best and enjoy pulling for team to bitter end, even when down by 2- or 3 goals, because i still remember the 3rd period comeback vs Rangers when Kovalev and Koivu helped mount cool comeback and last year vs Sens was awesome final bit of game also, so stick it out till end of every game.

remember both of those games fondly.

Subban was a beast in the sens game.

• 2 weeks later...

Just giving this a bump as I may be using this for the ATB column this week... A follow-up question to maybe spark some discussion (and keep the thread on topic) - For those who view Price as the most untouchable now, would that have been the case last year before Subban signed the richest contract in franchise history? (In other words, does Subban's expensive deal cause you to put him lower on your list?)

Subban's deal has nothing to do with it for me, you just can't replace a goaltender like that. It's not only his elite skill level, it's his demeanor, it's Montreal, Nuff said.

Just giving this a bump as I may be using this for the ATB column this week... A follow-up question to maybe spark some discussion (and keep the thread on topic) - For those who view Price as the most untouchable now, would that have been the case last year before Subban signed the richest contract in franchise history? (In other words, does Subban's expensive deal cause you to put him lower on your list?)

Carey Price is the franchise, we could live without just about anybody, including Subban (and I love him) but Mr. Price is money in the bank. We have won 19 games, of that and including last night, he has probably been the single difference in us winning 9 of those games. We haven't seen this level of goaltending since St Patrick and maybe before that. Regular season Carey is better than Patrick IMHO, playoffs we do not have a definitive sample yet. But it is coming believe me. He is the leader and the best player on this team. Now if only we could get him to score some goals. :)

Nah Just Habs fans that's all. We got spoiled by all those cups so many years ago.

The thing is I'm 21, and actualy have never been alive for a Habs cup. I've been alive for the Habs worst 20 years in franchise history, and honestly I feel like that's why I'm so critical of the team right NOW, because this is the best Habs team I've seen, and I want a dominant team so badly. Were so close I can't help but nitpick.

The thing is I'm 21, and actualy have never been alive for a Habs cup. I've been alive for the Habs worst 20 years in franchise history, and honestly I feel like that's why I'm so critical of the team right NOW, because this is the best Habs team I've seen, and I want a dominant team so badly. Were so close I can't help but nitpick.

Right on Mellar93 ! MB is the best gm the Habs have had since Serge Savard. (Serge played a big role the search that landed MB). You will witness a real contender, but it is a couple of seasons away. (just my opinion) Regular season success you are already getting a taste of, but you are not overly critical, this team is three quarters built ..... and its not like the other teams stand pat and wait, they are getting better too. No team ever won the cup without great goal tending, or great coaching. In the play-offs you need to be able to match lines, make adjustments period to period, game to game, team to team, special teams are huge when all else is even, size matters...especially if the other teams is loaded with it, the right mixture of experience and youth. (last time the habs won the cup they had 9 rookies in the line up, playing crucial roles) seeing that your team needs all that is not nit picking.........thinking they can win the stanley cup without is wish full thinking. But MB is capable of building a team....... he inherited some main ingredients, in time he will add his own. Enjoy the ride kid !

and go to the Stanley Cup parade when they win......... its a blast !

Actually, plenty of teams have won the cup without great coaching, off the top of my head.. the Habs Al McNeil and Jean Perron; Tampa with Tortorella...there is a fairly long list. Also, btw, the last two times the Habs won the Cup they were not considered top contenders.

Actually, plenty of teams have won the cup without great coaching, off the top of my head.. the Habs Al McNeil and Jean Perron; Tampa with Tortorella...there is a fairly long list. Also, btw, the last two times the Habs won the Cup they were not considered top contenders.

Jacques Demers said when they won that cup, the Habs were a very good defensive trained team from the Pat Burns days, easy to coach with Patrick Roy being the team leader no question. He said all he had to do was talk them into opening up a little bit to score some goals.... piece of cake!

top contenders ? guess not .............. but after the pens were eliminated by the islanders in 93 there was not team left that was gonna beat them. I would say the pens who had won the previous two cups were the clear cut favs..............habs were one of many after that.

86 for sure they came out of nowhere.

Did not know much about Macniel so will take your word for it. Although i know Henri Richard agreed with you. Perron? Thought he was pretty good no. His teams in 87 and 88 after winning cup were great teams. Burns walked into a first place team when he took over. Funny I dont remember all the fans pointing to Perrons record when he was canned. Great example of changing coaches even though the he had a winning record (and a stanley cup!). With Perrons record you may get ripped on this site for claiming him as "not a good coach"

But I stand corrected and therefore agree. There are teams that won cups without a great coaching and Torts in Tamps is a good example of that. Never been big on Lavoulette either.

Right on Mellar93 ! MB is the best gm the Habs have had since Serge Savard. (Serge played a big role the search that landed MB). You will witness a real contender, but it is a couple of seasons away. (just my opinion) Regular season success you are already getting a taste of, but you are not overly critical, this team is three quarters built ..... and its not like the other teams stand pat and wait, they are getting better too. No team ever won the cup without great goal tending, or great coaching. In the play-offs you need to be able to match lines, make adjustments period to period, game to game, team to team, special teams are huge when all else is even, size matters...especially if the other teams is loaded with it, the right mixture of experience and youth. (last time the habs won the cup they had 9 rookies in the line up, playing crucial roles) seeing that your team needs all that is not nit picking.........thinking they can win the stanley cup without is wish full thinking. But MB is capable of building a team....... he inherited some main ingredients, in time he will add his own. Enjoy the ride kid !

and go to the Stanley Cup parade when they win......... its a blast !

Once again another post (not necessarily pointing to you 30/31 even though you do lead the hate on habs parade) that simply fails to paint a true picture of where the habs are currently. I mean with arguably the best goalie in hockey (price), one of the best defenders (subban) as well as one of the best veteran defenders (markov), a top goal scorer (patches) and a budding young talent (galchenyuk) just starting to scratch the surface of his potential, while not even mentioning many other good stories throughout this line up and all we get is the same old detractors towards the habs all the time no matter the circumstance. i never understood where you draw the line and say "ok this team is a contender now" and not a pretender. why 2 years? why not now? right now? do you know it could take simply one player to transform the make up of a team. last year imagine if vanek of the regular season panned out in the playoffs or price didn't go down after 2 periods in the ECF. why 2 years away? where do you add up all we are missing and say it will take at least 2 seasons to get to a sniff of the cup?

In years past it was only the power play they say that kept us in the playoff race. Now we are in the playoffs despite the PP and bad stats.... to small to soft, so we got bigger and faster... now its the coaching... its always something!! why not now? since this core merged with the young core we have only progressed forward, continually getting better. we are now heading into christmas, still haven't hit any sort of stride and are just a few points out of the conference lead.... and again i stress we haven't even hit our stride, still tinkering, stilling finding our best form........all this with no PP?

We are building now on a 3rd straight season of regular season success to go along with recent playoff success (not sure if making it to game 6 of ECF counts as success in the playoffs especially after building from a 1st round knockout year prior but it does to me). i think we need another top end forward for sure.... galchenyuk developing into 1? sekac maybe another? late acquisition again? and an upgrade to one of emelin, gilbert or weaver... is it beaulieau or tin man come game 82 of the regular season? or do we parlay one of them with a forward and a prospect to upgrade? i do believe that the acquisition of gonchar will continue to pay dividends throughout this season and especially come post april.

great goaltending or great coaching? carey freakin price and I'm scared to even mention MT's competence thus far in his current stint with us

- special teams are huge?..... didn't all of boston, LA and chicago recently have horrible PP success in their cup runs? just asking as I'm not quite sure. i do think strong 5on5 play coupled by a lock down PK is a must though!

-the right mix of youth and experience?

young guys - galchenyuk, gallagher, sekac, andrighetto, bournival, beaulieau, tinordi, bowman--8

young vets- patch, eller, DD, subban, emelin, weise, price, tokarski, tangradi--7 +2

vets- plex, paranteau, prust, gilbert--4

vets- malholtra, markov, gonchar, weaver, allen 5

that mix broken down really isn't that bad and come playoffs we might actually take a liking to all that experience on the back end...

If we can make it to within 2 games of a cup birth all the while playing that series without our hands down best player in price, who is to say we can't take another step forward this season and make it the round table of Lord Stanley for dinner? are young core learned 2 seasons ago what it takes to win a series. last year they learned how much more it takes to get to the cup..... we all say were this and that and 2 years away to contending but the fact is we are already contending? what does it take to be a contender? a final four appearance LY= contending for the cup! We will be contending again this year for the cup for simple fact that we have way to much character not to get better and we have carey price. Our window has already opened as early as last season............. things have really changed in montreal over the last 4 seasons especially since the molson family returned.... the habs are on the UP and won't be coming down for a long while so all you TSN, sportsnet cynics can eat it, we are Canada's team and if you travel with the habs across the U.S you'll see we are their team as well lol... So continue listening to TSN, sportsnet and all that pro toronto,death to the habs talk and all the while my habs, our habs, MT et all will continue with this upward swing... The passing of Jean Beliveau really opened the eyes to the world of sports as to what the Montreal Canadiens mean to this sport, their fans, and this country. players across the planet seen first hand the ora of Montreal and that hockey is not everything but the only thing...

meller93 21yrs of age.... the perfect age to celebrate under the street lights of montreal!

God Bless #4 and God Bless our Montreal Canadiens!!

I don't really think coaching makes much difference one way or the other. Unless your options are Scotty Bowman and Scott Arniel.

Really? Cause I don't think the Dead Wings make it to the playoffs without Mike Babcock.