You Know What I'm Tired of?

Not to denigrate the HW selection daily articles, but I am tired of articles that start with: "Will the Real _____ Please Stand Up?"

Get some new ideas, hockey writers?

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/would-the-real-rene-bourque-please-stand-up-for-habs

http://thehockeywriters.com/will-the-real-david-desharnais-please-stand-up/

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/11/24/7273567/new-york-rangers-vs-montreal-canadiens-recap-result-final-score-habs-lose-shutout

If threre are any other language geeks out there, I found a thread that explains where this cliched idiom started. (No, it wasn't Slim Shady).

http://wordoriginsorg.yuku.com/topic/2668/The-Origin-of-quotWill-the-real-XX-please-stand-upquot#.VIC__8lcXQI

Unfortunately I can't control the titles of articles on other sites (though I could change them to something else when I'm entering them in the links) but it's a really easy title to pull off when you're writing about a frequently hot-and-cold player. If those writers are like me (creatively challenged when it comes to titles), I can easily understand why it's overused as much as it is.

Unfortunately I can't control the titles of articles on other sites (though I could change them to something else when I'm entering them in the links) but it's a really easy title to pull off when you're writing about a frequently hot-and-cold player. If those writers are like me (creatively challenged when it comes to titles), I can easily understand why it's overused as much as it is.

How about when a player hits a hot streak (most likely a Benn/Seguin or DD/Pacioretty tandem) and they title the article or TV segment "With a Little Help from My Friends...?"

yes and that particular one is so over used. Whats the big surprise? In todays NHL where the cap practically mandates every team one star line, on star d pair, one start goalie and then 15 card board cut outs (brett hulls description not mine).......not a team in the league that does not have hot / cold periods. Players? Other than a select few of superstars....who does have dry spells?

yes and that particular one is so over used. Whats the big surprise? In todays NHL where the cap practically mandates every team one star line, on star d pair, one start goalie and then 15 card board cut outs (brett hulls description not mine).......not a team in the league that does not have hot / cold periods. Players? Other than a select few of superstars....who does have dry spells?

The Fancy Stats goons are making it worse with their obsession with players like Daniel Winnik and Tom Gilbert. The crappy players used to be able to beat people up.

• Upvote 1

I've been trying to find a new word for "titles". :wall:

In defence of cliches, especially within so ephemeral a domain as hockey player performance, this "real" jargon really does get to the issue pretty effectively. But my defence of cliches is of course cliche.

Hey Lovett.. I received a pretty funny email from a friend who thinks I'm a lexophile.. which, indeed I hope I am.

You seem a kindred spirit.. so I'll try to find it and send it to youse.

Speaking of dry spells.. this reminds me of an old witch I knew...One day little Johnny was piffing her off so she reaches into her bat-dung smelling cobwebbed purse and pulled out a........

I've been trying to find a new word for "titles". :wall:

In defence of cliches, especially within so ephemeral a domain as hockey player performance, this "real" jargon really does get to the issue pretty effectively. But my defence of cliches is of course cliche.

Hey Lovett.. I received a pretty funny email from a friend who thinks I'm a lexophile.. which, indeed I hope I am.

You seem a kindred spirit.. so I'll try to find it and send it to youse.

Send me a PM if you find it.

And for all you budding etymologists out there, one I'm sure you'll remember when commenting upon future games.....

An interesting fact regarding manure -

In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas of course.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction 'Stow high in transit' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term 'S.H.I.T', (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I. I always thought it was a golf term.

• Upvote 1

And for all you budding etymologists out there, one I'm sure you'll remember when commenting upon future games.....

An interesting fact regarding manure -

In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by-product is methane gas of course.

As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction 'Stow high in transit' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term 'S.H.I.T', (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I. I always thought it was a golf term.

That is truly hilarious. I was pretty sure it was a golf term as well cause there are 2 words in great use on a golf course. Fork and S.H.I.T. well done.

That is truly hilarious. I was pretty sure it was a golf term as well cause there are 2 words in great use on a golf course. Fork and S.H.I.T. well done.

I was soooo sure it was a golf term..... hahahaha....no Stow High In Transit

hahahaha

• Upvote 1