Due time for another winning streak. Canucks @ Bell Centre, 7:30PM

The Forking Power Play on this team is S.H.I.T. Something has got to change, nobody can tell me we don't have the players. We don't have any coaches who know how to run a power play. MB could you please fire re-assign whatever Maroon (that' for you Don) is supposed to run the power play and get us a real coach. This is embarrassing, 4 PPs 63 seconds on a 2 man, and we are -1 to show for it . GREAT.

It's so funny. I was so happy to see it really clicking briefly and remain fully confident that we will fire up the PP machine pretty soon. As you say, we have the players , and frankly.. it ain't that complicated.

Stow High In Transit.!

FYI, Malhotra was 43% at faceoffs tonight.

Pleks was 57%.

i'd still rather have Malhotra take the draw at the end of the game.

• Upvote 1

If this team could score on the power play we would still be in first place (my opinion) or at least with 3 or 4 more wins. The guys played well, Andigretto is a keeper. He will be sent to Hamilton now. Good game.

• Upvote 1

The line that many have been calling for over a year (except for the coach) looked great.

Kid up from hamilton made a heck of a pass on the nice finish by pleks.

Thats called chucky playing center. Hopefully therrien will stay out of chuckys way for good now.

It didn't show on the scoreboard but Montreal dominated that game in all three periods.

I didn't like that DD got so much PP time but old habits die hard.

Galchenyuk looked great at center. He'll play there again.

Andrighetto got some seriously heavy minutes with Plekanec. Impressed with the kid.

Bournival looked good in his return.

Carey Price is our captain. Enough said about the C talk.

Wonder how long my next winning streak is gonna be ;)

Hahahahaha! I'm sure enjoying your streak so far!

• Upvote 1

A much better effort.

Unfortunately they are clueless in the offensive zone. 50 shot attempts and 17 on net. They are just too facy for their own good, blind passes, backhand passes to know one, they seem to think they are the globe trotters out there.

The defense is really poor, short of Subban and Markov they are all bottom pair D.

totally agree on the d. Gonchar should be out right cut. He is kabby all over again.

Plekanec has done nothing on the offensive side for a long time

then he comes through big time...............beauty set up by the kid.

The line that many have been calling for over a year (except for the coach) looked great.

Kid up from hamilton made a heck of a pass on the nice finish by pleks.

Thats called chucky playing center. Hopefully therrien will stay out of chuckys way for good now.

Once again, guys, rather like the Borky, now Mr Bourque affair, there's a protocol. If you demote DD without having shown endless patience with him, then you've got a problem on your hands ... a room problem, for then you're seen as arbitrary and unrealistically impatiient.. with a team in first place.

So I respectfully submit that firstly, they were more aware of the problem than we were likely to be, secondly , wanted to be sure that Yukyuk could win a draw at centre.. which takes time... and thirdly, that the action would be seen by all as fair to everyone. That's how you keep a good room I think.

I was prepared to step in and play for Allen, but apparently they had some kid in Hamilton.

The following tale has some good management principles...

In the great days of the British Empire, a new commanding officer was sent to a jungle outpost to relieve the retiring colonel. After welcoming his replacement and showing the usual courtesies (gin and tonic, cucumber sandwiches etc) that protocol decrees, the retiring colonel said, "You must meet my Adjutant, Captain Smithers, he’s my right-hand man, he's really the strength of this office. His talent is simply boundless."

Smithers was summoned and introduced to the new CO, who was surprised to meet a humpbacked, one eyed, toothless, hairless, scabbed and pockmarked specimen of humanity, a particularly unattractive man less than three feet tall.

"Smithers, old man, tell your new CO about yourself."

"Well, sir, I graduated with honours from Sandhurst, joined the regiment and won the Military Cross and Bar after three expeditions behind enemy lines. I've represented Great Britain in equestrian events, and won a Silver Medal in the middleweight division of the Olympics. I have researched the history of....."

Here the colonel interrupted, "Yes, yes, never mind that Smithers, he can find all that in your file. Tell him about the day you told the witch doctor to ###### off!!!"

In the great days of the British Empire, a new commanding officer was sent to a jungle outpost to relieve the retiring colonel. After welcoming his replacement and showing the usual courtesies (gin and tonic, cucumber sandwiches etc) that protocol decrees, the retiring colonel said, "You must meet my Adjutant, Captain Smithers, he’s my right-hand man, he's really the strength of this office. His talent is simply boundless."

Smithers was summoned and introduced to the new CO, who was surprised to meet a humpbacked, one eyed, toothless, hairless, scabbed and pockmarked specimen of humanity, a particularly unattractive man less than three feet tall.

"Well, sir, I graduated with honours from Sandhurst, joined the regiment and won the Military Cross and Bar after three expeditions behind enemy lines. I've represented Great Britain in equestrian events, and won a Silver Medal in the middleweight division of the Olympics. I have researched the history of....."

Here the colonel interrupted, "Yes, yes, never mind that Smithers, he can find all that in your file. Tell him about the day you told the witch doctor to ###### off!!!"

:rofl: I kind a like that one. I will retell it before long.

:rofl: I kind a like that one. I will retell it before long.

Me too.. I got it from a guy who's been sending me horrible jokes for 10 yrs.

This was to make up for them. I love it. Glad you liked it.

Very, very strong game from les boys - but it was a nail-biter, because the Canucks did what the Habs have done to so many teams over the years, namely hang around, block shots, box out the slot, prevent rebounds, get good goaltending and count on opportunistic scoring. They really impressed me; that's a tight team playing extremely strong, cohesive hockey. They could surprise a lot of people in the west.The Habs really had to gut out that win. And they did, for Big Jean. Bravo.

Looking at that tonight, it's hard for me to understand all the bitching about Therrien. Sekac, a big role. The new kid, getting PP time no less. Galchenyuk at C (and missing scores of chances; that bothers me a bit). Even Bournival got his ice (and I have to admit, it was good to see him again). I guess the issue is just that he gives the veterans too much rope to find themselves when they're struggling. But I really think Torontohab is onto something in his explanation. When you're a coach in today's NHL, you can't just junk your veterans at the first sign of their struggling, and still less can you just crap on guys because you axiomatically know that 'they suck' in the way people around here just 'know' that DD is garbage, etc, etc.. You have to show your veterans respect, give them ample opportunity to work their way out of it. Otherwise, you get a rebellion on your hands and an unhappy room. You also play proven performers out of your lineup, which is not a great idea in itself. MT has arguably been pretty consistent: he only starts demoting veterans once they've really failed to work their way out of the hole. It may become harder for DD going forward, because Galy did look pretty good, if a bit frustrating to my mind with all the usual individual plays that don't amount to anything.

I was very glad to see Pleks with that excellent go-ahead goal. All the mewling about DD, but Plekanec has been struggling too. This team needs him to play the way he can, and hopefully he can start producing again.

Final thought: is it just me, or was Price sliding around too much in his lateral movement tonight? That's one of the warning signs with him IMHO. He came through, of course - he usually does - but that might be something to keep an eye on.

Very, very strong game from les boys - but it was a nail-biter, because the Canucks did what the Habs have done to so many teams over the years, namely hang around, block shots, box out the slot, prevent rebounds, get good goaltending and count on opportunistic scoring. They really impressed me; that's a tight team playing extremely strong, cohesive hockey. They could surprise a lot of people in the west.The Habs really had to gut out that win. And they did, for Big Jean. Bravo.

Looking at that tonight, it's hard for me to understand all the bitching about Therrien. Sekac, a big role. The new kid, getting PP time no less. Galchenyuk at C (and missing scores of chances; that bothers me a bit). Even Bournival got his ice (and I have to admit, it was good to see him again). I guess the issue is just that he gives the veterans too much rope to find themselves when they're struggling. But I really think Torontohab is onto something in his explanation. When you're a coach in today's NHL, you can't just junk your veterans at the first sign of their struggling, and still less can you just crap on guys because you axiomatically know that 'they suck' in the way people around here just 'know' that DD is garbage, etc, etc.. You have to show your veterans respect, give them ample opportunity to work their way out of it. Otherwise, you get a rebellion on your hands and an unhappy room. You also play proven performers out of your lineup, which is not a great idea in itself. MT has arguably been pretty consistent: he only starts demoting veterans once they've really failed to work their way out of the hole. It may become harder for DD going forward, because Galy did look pretty good, if a bit frustrating to my mind with all the usual individual plays that don't amount to anything.

I was very glad to see Pleks with that excellent go-ahead goal. All the mewling about DD, but Plekanec has been struggling too. This team needs him to play the way he can, and hopefully he can start producing again.

Final thought: is it just me, or was Price sliding around too much in his lateral movement tonight? That's one of the warning signs with him IMHO. He came through, of course - he usually does - but that might be something to keep an eye on.

the difference between Pleks and DD's struggles is that Pleks contributes to the D even if he isn't scoring or getting points. DD contributes nothing if he isn't contributing offensively. That is also the difference between Eller and DD.

It didn't show on the scoreboard but Montreal dominated that game in all three periods.

I didn't like that DD got so much PP time but old habits die hard.

Galchenyuk looked great at center. He'll play there again.

Andrighetto got some seriously heavy minutes with Plekanec. Impressed with the kid.

Bournival looked good in his return.

Carey Price is our captain. Enough said about the C talk.

Wonder how long my next winning streak is gonna be ;)

You do know you have to keep on keeping on cause we are counting on you for a nice long streak, so is le genius. :)

You have to let the vets work their way out of it. Agreed. Yes,and the young guys are just as deserving of that. As for the first line issue, I'm sure MT and DD will take a lot less heat when DD stays off the top line and first pp unit.

You have to let the vets work their way out of it. Agreed. Yes,and the young guys are just as deserving of

that. As for the first line issue, I'm sure MT and DD will take a lot less heat when DD stays off the top line and first pp unit.

Nope. A young player has to prove he belongs. An accomplished veteran in his prime has to prove he doesn't. That's the point. Everyone around here wants young guys just to be handed NHL jobs regardless of whether they actually earn them. It's silly.

I hear you about DD's usage, but of course the question is whether a DD in a third-line role, without PP time, is going to be of any use at all. It's the eternal dilemma of the one-dimensional player. Habs29 is quite correct that when Desharnais is not generating offence, he's not generating anything - unlike Plekanec (Eller, I'll withhold judgement on, because I believe his supposedly strong defensive game has been absurdly overrated hereabouts). That's why his slumps stick out like sore thumbs and generate so much grouchiness from fans.

What we've seen is Therrien acting as if he believes that Desharnais, a proven mid-level offensive producer, can add valuable offence to the team once he gets out of the slump. He sees DD as one of those 'accomplished veterans in his prime' who has to prove he doesn't belong. Many fans on this site don't; DD could have 10 years of 55-60 points and they still would not accept that he's a useful player. But MT's position is reasonable. Now, after maybe a dozen games of offering Desharnais all sorts of rope, he is starting to move him down the depth-chart. And if Galchenyuk seizes the opportunity and kicks ass, it's going to be rough on DD to climb back up. If, conversely, Galy doesn't, DD will probably get another turn.

All of this is defensible practice IF you accept the premise that Desharnais is an NHL veteran worthy of respect. That's the real question.

awesome !!!

Nope. A young player has to prove he belongs. An accomplished veteran in his prime has to prove he doesn't. That's the point. Everyone around here wants young guys just to be handed NHL jobs regardless of whether they actually earn them. It's silly.

I hear you about DD's usage, but of course the question is whether a DD in a third-line role, without PP time, is going to be of any use at all. It's the eternal dilemma of the one-dimensional player. Habs29 is quite correct that when Desharnais is not generating offence, he's not generating anything - unlike Plekanec (Eller, I'll withhold judgement on, because I believe his supposedly strong defensive game has been absurdly overrated hereabouts). That's why his slumps stick out like sore thumbs and generate so much grouchiness from fans.

What we've seen is Therrien acting as if he believes that Desharnais, a proven mid-level offensive producer, can add valuable offence to the team once he gets out of the slump. He sees DD as one of those 'accomplished veterans in his prime' who has to prove he doesn't belong. Many fans on this site don't; DD could have 10 years of 55-60 points and they still would not accept that he's a useful player. But MT's position is reasonable. Now, after maybe a dozen games of offering Desharnais all sorts of rope, he is starting to move him down the depth-chart. And if Galchenyuk seizes the opportunity and kicks ass, it's going to be rough on DD to climb back up. If, conversely, Galy doesn't, DD will probably get another turn.

All of this is defensible practice IF you accept the premise that Desharnais is an NHL veteran worthy of respect. That's the real question.

He is worthy of respect. But should never be on the number one line or first unit of the powerplay. If you have nobody else then spread it around. On his best day DD is a hair better than the other centermen on the team............MT plays him like he is Johnathon Teows, a country mile better than the other three guys. example......powerplay time for DD 66 minutes total this year. Eller 6 minutes. Thats what most fans cant stand, and is a direct shot at the coach not DD.

and Chucky showed last night who should be in the slot that the coach had written in stone for DD.

Media, radio shows, fans and chattboards everywhere was calling for this. For good reason

I don't know if that should be the case for your premier prospects. In my mind, Galchenyuk playing center, Beaulieu and Tinordi should be given the benefit of the doubt because they're supposed to be the future.

I've seen tons of kids come and go in three years of watching hockey in Sunrise. Some of the kids are inconsistent and make mistakes, but some are worth the wait to see what they've got. Aaron Ekblad flat-out sucked in his first five games with the Panthers, but now that he has the right partner and experience, he's been a valuable cog on their blueline. Nick Bjugstad has periods of 3-5 games where he's been invisible, struggled defensively and hasn't "used his size." I guess to me, it's just worth it to see them struggle over settling for Scott Gomez and Shane O'Donnell in those roles, which is certainly what Therrien would have done. (I hope MB doesn't know Shane O'Brien is still playing. I have no doubt he will work two hours a day on a deal to get him for Joonas Nattinen and a 7th in 2019 at the deadline).

There's also the case of prospects being overblown and not being ready, or having the capacity to work through warts. I would put Drew Shore and Colby Robak in that category.

Galchenyuk last night created more chances in one game than DD creates in five games. Pacioretty, Desharnais and Gallagher looked like something the Canadiens haven't had in years: a first line.

• Upvote 1