Habs sign Jiri Sekac

dlbalr

He's got a bomb on the point. You can't just let that go to waste

Remember Chris Allen? I'm probably the only one because we had mutual family friends and he's from Kent County. He was a 6'3" 220lb defenceman from Blenheim who got drafted third round by the Florida Panthers. Injuries derailed his career but I remember people being obsessed with his 103 mph slapper which he could do pretty much any time he wanted to.

Good guy, still had a pro hockey career despite never making the NHL. Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, point bombs come and go.

• 1 month later...

Sekac starts year in Hamilton?

make opening day Hab roster?

spends time in both Hamilton and Montreal pre X-mas?

He must really like Montreal to sign with a team that has 14 healthy forwards. Bournival/Weise/Moen are all great options for the twelfth forward. I can't see him on the team next year, and despite being a "free prospect" this is still a puzzling signing unless he was supposed to be a first liner in Hamilton.

Maybe Sekac is going to make the Habs, maybe not, we all can hope is indeed a gem. But it's also Bergevin's job to GM the Bulldogs into having at least some talent that can score and play hockey better than last year's patchwork roster there.

Outside of the 3 defense prospects there, there was nothing to be too excited about in terms of forward depth last season. If Sekac, Hudon, Gregoire, and DLR play there some, we can maybe say we have some forward depth coming soon, until then we can't say we actually have anything imminent coming from the A can we?

I personally have no faith in Andrighetto yet, none in Thomas, or anyone else down there to ever actually make the Habs roster anytime soon.... In my mind Bournival isn't going to give up a spot without doing all he can do to keep it, so we need to dump Bourque and Moen, or Sekac needs to beat one of them out for a job, and I'm not sure he can do that.

Maybe Plekanec can help Sekac stick with the Habs, and I'm hoping he is a dynamic player ready to jump in, but he isn't penciled in for opening night just yet....

Just what this team needs! More wingers with an upside of 12-15 goals a year.

Have you watched anything about him? Like seriously. Dude has a lot of skill. His wrist shot is deadly. If he can learn how to use it in the NHL, he'll score far more than 15 goals. His upside is really tough to put a number on. He has the package; it's all about whether it pans out.

Jiri Dopita Brunner Sekac.

Put him with Eller and Bourque so we can get all our false hopes out of the way in one shift.

We'll see how effective this depth stacking scheme is when there are 3 NHLers in the press box with Tinordi and Pateryn in the AHL. I imagine the competition will make half the team hate each other.

I mean, what's with all the superflous scrubs? Does Bergevin need drinking buddies?

Sekac, Moen, Bournival, Prust, even Weise and Weaver when you get down to brass tacks.

Bullsh!t....

Man are you in a mood! :cry_smile:

I suggest you watch the videos on Sekac buddy.... :thumbs_up:

Jiri Dopita Brunner Sekac.

Put him with Eller and Bourque so we can get all our false hopes out of the way in one shift.

We'll see how effective this depth stacking scheme is when there are 3 NHLers in the press box with Tinordi and Pateryn in the AHL. I imagine the competition will make half the team hate each other.

I mean, what's with all the superflous scrubs? Does Bergevin need drinking buddies?

Dopita and Brunner aren't comparables to Sekac though. Brunner came over at 26 (and has 51 points in 104 career games which isn't half bad) while Dopita went to the NHL at 32/33. Those guys were established players when they signed NHL contracts, Sekac is a prospect. Yes, the expectation is that he should be able to at least somewhat contribute right away (not as an impact player though like those two were supposed to be) but if he's not ready, he'll be in the minors before long.

This 'depth stacking' as you call it isn't a bad thing. The more quality prospects in the system, the less likely it is that we're going to see useless callups when injuries arise. There isn't anything wrong with having quality depth. Injuries will happen, players will surprisingly slump and it's better to have somewhat proven (or higher potential in this particular case) players available instead of having to resort to bringing up the likes of Dumont/Blunden who have been the top call-up options up front in recent years.

Competition occurs on every team, it doesn't make half the team hate each other. If it does, something is wrong with those players. The Habs won't be the only team with a couple of veteran players sitting and near-ready prospects in the minors. That's normal throughout the league. It's not a problem for those clubs and I'm all but certain it won't be here.

• Upvote 1

Dopita and Brunner aren't comparables to Sekac though. Brunner came over at 26 (and has 51 points in 104 career games which isn't half bad) while Dopita went to the NHL at 32/33. Those guys were established players when they signed NHL contracts, Sekac is a prospect. Yes, the expectation is that he should be able to at least somewhat contribute right away (not as an impact player though like those two were supposed to be) but if he's not ready, he'll be in the minors before long.

This 'depth stacking' as you call it isn't a bad thing. The more quality prospects in the system, the less likely it is that we're going to see useless callups when injuries arise. There isn't anything wrong with having quality depth. Injuries will happen, players will surprisingly slump and it's better to have somewhat proven (or higher potential in this particular case) players available instead of having to resort to bringing up the likes of Dumont/Blunden who have been the top call-up options up front in recent years.

Competition occurs on every team, it doesn't make half the team hate each other. If it does, something is wrong with those players. The Habs won't be the only team with a couple of veteran players sitting and near-ready prospects in the minors. That's normal throughout the league. It's not a problem for those clubs and I'm all but certain it won't be here.

So he's worse than Dopita/Brunner? I like this this guy less and less every day.

I disagree about the competition. These guys are human. They want every opportunity to succeed, and especially at the fourth line/third pairing level, I doubt they want to fight their way through a labyrinth for short money and limited ice time.

I find myself uninterested in reading about prospects in general. "Player x has a heavy shot and smooth skating stride. He'll need to bulk up...he is tireless around the puck...strong desire to succeed. Player x is comparable to Justin Williams. WE ARE NOT SAYING HE WILL BE AS GOOD AS JUSTIN WILLIAMS."

Watching them is a different story. Junior hockey is a lot of fun. I can't watch many of these guys because of American hockey coverage, and imo college hockey is boring.

So he's worse than Dopita/Brunner? I like this this guy less and less every day.

I disagree about the competition. These guys are human. They want every opportunity to succeed, and especially at the fourth line/third pairing level, I doubt they want to fight their way through a labyrinth for short money and limited ice time.

He could be worse. He could be better. He could be worse now and better down the road. He could be some other combo of the two. He's a prospect. We don't know the final development path of anyone that's 22 years old. Honestly, the better comparisons for Sekac are probably the highly sought after NCAA free agents. They usually come out at 22/23 and are at a closer point of development to Sekac than he is to the Brunners/Dopitas/Brunnstroms of the world. I'm at a loss trying to think of another young 22/23 year old international player getting the hype he has in recent years. I can think of some 24 year olds but not 22.

Of course players want every opportunity to succeed. That doesn't mean they're going to pout if it's not handed to them on a silver platter though. (And if they expect to be handed the opportunity, here's hoping they get the chance to take that mindset elsewhere.) If guys like Prust or Moen don't make the opening lineup, they should be upset...but not at the organization or their teammates. They should be mad at themselves for failing to beat out a guy like Sekac/Bournival/etc. Moen got benched last year, I'm fairly sure he didn't start hating every player he was in competition with as a result. Having to leapfrog a couple of players to earn your spot isn't a labyrinth. That's normal for pretty much every team at every level.

I don't really know if Sekac got much of any hype before he was signed. He was level in scoring with former Manchester Monarch Justin Acevedo last year. I saw Acevedo play many times in Manchvegas, he was no cigar. Sekac has 18 goals in four years of pro hockey.

I might have heard of Sekac once before he was signed and I follow hockey as much as anyone, with the exception of people who write about it, or make their living from hockey.

Seems like there are some "tall tales of August" being told about Sekac. Shot as good as Pacioretty's? Seriously? I don't mean to sound like a Richard with my Sekac comments, but c'mon.

The prospect I'm excited about is De La Rose. From what I've seen in the world juniors and read about him, he's really someone to look forward to.

I don't really know if Sekac got much of any hype before he was signed. He was level in scoring with former Manchester Monarch Justin Acevedo last year. I saw Acevedo play many times in Manchvegas, he was no cigar. Sekac has 18 goals in four years of pro hockey.

I might have heard of Sekac once before he was signed and I follow hockey as much as anyone, with the exception of people who write about it, or make their living from hockey.

The hype around him started around February. His name came up when he was making his city-to-city rounds (and that I think was in April or May) and again when he made the Czech team at the Worlds. There was also a nice frenzy when reports surfaced that he was going to sign in June. He's had quite a lot of hype.

Skimming through the rumour thread, his name came up in June while he was also discussed in one of the free agent threads that month. If you only heard of him once, you're not reading the rest of the threads on here enough. :)

Moen and injured Prust I could agree with, with Weise having borderline potential. Bourney's a keeper!

I like his game a lot. He has tons of hockey smarts for a player his age. Can't argue with the Francophone factor either. He just needs to do something about his shot.