Gionta to Buffalo

sakiqc

No wonder MB didn't sign him.

Buffalo appears to be feasting on our leftovers! Nice to be at the head table, doling out scraps to the begging dogs below.

HAHAHA

Still, they got great warriors and leaders. Good for them, ... oh and good to see a division team get weaker ;D

HAHAHA

Still, they got great warriors and leaders. Good for them, ... oh and good to see a division team get weaker ;D

can they possibly be weaker than last year???

i think TB will be better, Boston weaker (minus Iginla), detroit the same.

Buffalo appears to be feasting on our leftovers! Nice to be at the head table, doling out scraps to the begging dogs below.

Lovin' It!!!

Does anyone else share in my delight at Ottawa's immolation? HA HA HAAA, suck it, you turds!!!

yes I am. Also nice to see Leafs can't get anything done!

Lovin' It!!!

yes I am. Also nice to see Leafs can't get anything done!

Ain't it sweet? While I'm not thrilled at our moves so far, the sight of these jerk franchises bombing out is sweet compensation! :thumbs_up:

Ain't it sweet? While I'm not thrilled at our moves so far, the sight of these jerk franchises bombing out is sweet compensation! :thumbs_up:

I'm with ya man!

I can't believe Buffalo paid him that; he's a smurf who can't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot most nights. He's a very good penalty killer...not much else at this point. Glad he's gone.

And some of our more discriminating scraps refuse to land on certain floors...ha ha ha... :rofl:

Every shot he took coming down the RW in the 2014 playoffs was directly into the goalies stomach. Could have sworn I was watching a replay every time he took an attempt. It was a good run, but it's a win-win situation for both sides. MB is cap smart. Another step in the right direction.

IMO, he wasn't even worth $3Mx2. Letting him walk saved us from how MT would have deployed the captain that cried in his arms.

Gionta was finished no way is he worth 4.5x3, you were a good player for us. we probably won't see you in the playoffs.

Buffalo has improved.

Now, that's not approval of this signing. Gionta's contract is stupid. I mean, great for him, I'm glad he got it. But better Buffalo than Montreal. I'd have given Gionta 2.5 Million to come back. He's not worth more.

However, Buffalo has added a character winger and leader.

They've added one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.

And they've signed Matt Moulson.

This is a better team. Are they playoff-capable yet? I don't think so...but they're not going to be sitting so close to the bottom of the league this year.

I think you may be right Jeff, last of the season, Nolan had them in games late, losing by a goal etc. They just didn't have the horses to get the wins, but weren't finding ways to lose nearly as much. They will improve this season, if nothing else, Myers will progress with Gorges there, as a fellow former Kelona Rocket connection, maybe show Myers some friendship and leadership on how to reach his potential, which would be huge for the Sabres....

I have no bloody clue why people are so excited about the Sabres free agency signings. Love their drafting but the Gionta signing is dumb, they replaced Erhoff with Gorges and Moulson coming back is nothing special.

Of course Buffalo will improve next year, they had one of the worst seasons ever in the cap era. I agree, they are still not a team to fear by any means.

The Gionta signing is "dumb" from the standpoint of a team trying to squeeze every last point out of it's cap money. Buffalo still has 17 million in cap space available. They're only 5 million dollars over the Cap Floor at the moment. Gionta is still good enough, that without Salary Cap concerns, he'd earn a roster spot on any team in the NHL. Sure, it might be third line, but he'd make the team.

That means his addition automatically strengthens the Sabres. It's not "4.25 million they could have spent on better players," it's 4.25 million they wouldn't have spent at all, adding another competent body to their roster, who's going to be better than most of the players they already had there.

Gio and Gorges will help that team a lot, and the signings show that Buffalo understands that you can't just rebuild with players under 25, you also have to have accomplished, character veterans to bring the kids along. No WAY would I have wanted the Habs to pay that for Gio, but it does make sense for that organization.

The worst team in the East is likely to be a battle between Ottawa and Carolina.

There may be nothing wrong with playing for the top pick and a chance a Conner McDavid....the good news in that is if he ends up in Ottawa the will ask for a tade like Yashin, Heatley, Alfredson, and Spezza.