Habs sign Tom Gilbert

dlbalr

Tom Gilbert often played top pairing D with Brian Campbell in Florida.

does that mean anything considering how awful the panthers were?

does that mean anything considering how awful the panthers were?

Yeah. It means he's not good enough to be a top pairing D-man, but on any other team, on the second pairing, he'd have a lot more points.

A great example of "cap logic" being confused for hockey sense. If Gilbert is 70% as good as Gorges, we got 30% worse in the #4 d-slot. Not cool.

We did not get worse. If Gorges is so good, then why did he only command a 2nd round pick? When he got hurt this year for a long stretch, did the Habs sink?

Look, I like Gorges but I think you're thinking with your heart rather than your head. Gilbert gives us much needed size, a right-handed shot, a power play option and is $1.1M cheaper per year (for 2 shorter years on contract length). It's a good signing, and we also got Weaver for depth.

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Gilbert

Weaver - Beaulieu

Tinordi

I really don't think we've gotten weaker at all.

We did not get worse. If Gorges is so good, then why did he only command a 2nd round pick? When he got hurt this year for a long stretch, did the Habs sink?

Look, I like Gorges but I think you're thinking with your heart rather than your head. Gilbert gives us much needed size, a right-handed shot, a power play option and is $1.1M cheaper per year (for 2 shorter years on contract length). It's a good signing, and we also got Weaver for depth.

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Gilbert

Weaver - Beaulieu

Tinordi

I think we are much better as well - IMO Gorges would have been great as a $2.5M bottom pairing dman, having gorges as a $4M top 4, we were never going to be able to take the next step.

He's a favourite among the advanced stats crowd.

a career minus player a favourite with the advanced stats crowd - big surprise. Wasn't that clown on EOTP always raving about how great Gomez's advanced stats were??

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Gilbert

Weaver - Beaulieu

Tinordi

Look, if Gilbert is as good or better than Gorges, then obviously it's a great move.

If he's not, then in the short term we're a worse team. The end.

Pretty hard not to be a minus player in Florida. Seeing as it's a team stat.

he was a minus in Edmonton and Minny as well and i don't think he has any playoff experience either.

2.8 million is 70% of 4 million.

If he plays 70% as well as Gorges, we broke even.

And since he's about 67% water, how much is that per litre. Or are we still talking quarts until he crosses the border?

Look, if Gilbert is as good or better than Gorges, then obviously it's a great move.

If he's not, then in the short term we're a worse team. The end.

i think its addition by subtraction as well, that will give our kids a chance, while having some veteran insurance. losing Murrey, Bouillon is a big plus. Having weaver playing the same role as Gorges is a plus (a true bottom pairing - which is what i believe Gorges was best suited for) and if Weaver is as effective as a puck mover as some are saying he is, he is better suited as a top 4. I'm still worried about his minus stats, but if he can help the transition game, he is an upgrade over Gorges.

I really think Beaulieu will be a top 4 this year - IF MT gives him a real shot.

he was a minus in Edmonton and Minny as well and i don't think he has any playoff experience either.

He does have playoff experience, but it's mostly just watching the games at home, like us.

i think its addition by subtraction as well, that will give our kids a chance, while having some veteran insurance. losing Murrey, Bouillon is a big plus. Having weaver playing the same role as Gorges is a plus (a true bottom pairing - which is what i believe Gorges was best suited for) and if Weaver is as effective as a puck mover as some are saying he is, he is better suited as a top 4. I'm still worried about his minus stats, but if he can help the transition game, he is an upgrade over Gorges.

I really think Beaulieu will be a top 4 this year - IF MT gives him a real shot.

Sure, if Beaulieu (or Tin-man or Pateryn) are ready for top-4 duty, then this trade looks brilliant. But with the information we actually possess right now, it's a downgrade.

Sure, if Beaulieu (or Tin-man or Pateryn) are ready for top-4 duty, then this trade looks brilliant. But with the information we actually possess right now, it's a downgrade.

would either of these guys get a serious look with Gorges still on the team??? Doubt it. Not with MT in charge. now we will get real competition for the #4 position, as well as the bottom pairing positions.

I've seen a lot of Gilbert, he's not a sexy pickup by any means, but he's not a bad player either. He might be a 40-50 point dman with this power play. I don't recall him making many mistakes either, and you have to be defensively smart to play with Campbell

• Upvote 1

I've seen a lot of Gilbert, he's not a sexy pickup by any means, but he's not a bad player either. He might be a 40-50 point dman with this power play. I don't recall him making many mistakes either, and you have to be defensively smart to play with Campbell

That's the other possibility - that Gilbert is in fact a pretty good player. The scenarios seem to be there:

1. Gilbert is not really a downgrade. Good move.

2. Gilbert is a downgrade but one of the young guys emerges as a top-4 defender. Good move.

3. Gilbert is a downgrade and nevertheless takes Gorges' spot. Bad move, at least in the short term.

On vera.

He is also a RH Dman who can skate pretty well. The habs are in need of one more RH dman. Gilbert will do fine. He is also 1/2 the Price of Gorges and half as long on term.

let's keep in mind that Gilbert will at most get the last 30 seconds of any PP. Subban will be on the ice for the first 1:30 of each PP.

He is also a RH Dman who can skate pretty well. The habs are in need of one more RH dman. Gilbert will do fine. He is also 1/2 the Price of Gorges and half as long on term.

70% the price of Gorges. 2.8 vs. 4.

No. He was the #4 guy on our team, like it or not. Now Gilbert is. Let that little nugget sink in.

the only nugget I see is people forgetting this is a Transitional attacking team based on speed and quick puck movement. Georges was a shot blocking extraordinaire, on a long term 4 million dollar deal, who made more passes to the advertisements on the boards than he did to his forward's tape. Georges was yet another left handed shot, and of the 3 in our top 4, was the most expendable for sure. Now the top 4 has 4 d-men playing on their proper sides, comfortable, and able to be at their best every night, unlike having to watch Emelin struggle on his offside for half the season. All of the 4 d-men are capable of excellent first passes to help the transition game, Gilbert also becomes an interesting second pair PP guy compared to seeing Georges out there last season.

Gilbert may appear to be a downgrade on Gorges defensivelsy, I believe he is. But if he can play the right side on the second pairing and free up the logjam on the left side, we may have upgraded by moving Emelin to his much stronger side. I was really hoping for Anton Strallman, but I will take Gilbert. I like the team balance now, way more than I did last year at this time. I believe Weaver is an upgrade on Booboo and crankshaft. Emelin will be upgraded by playing his natural side ( i seriously hope) The top pairing will be upgraded by having two players that belong on a top pairing in Markov and Subban. The second pairing is a bit weak . I admit . Gilbert is a strong puck mover though, so instead of blocking shots, should be able to play the puck out with the posession we have with the best faceoff guy in Malhotra. This team went to the conference final. Anyone expecting a rebuild was mistaken. Team balance is where it needs to be and there is money in the jar for the future. MB gets a "B" from me. Would have been an "A" if the #3 right hander was a true #3. Gilbert is a #4 or #5, but at least he is right handed.

Edit. Link.. sorry. Didnt read your post first. I just could have done a "what he said" haha