Louis Leblanc traded

Trizzak

This trade was made because he needs waivers to go to the minors next season, and the Habs obviously see no future in a guy who played well in December and then was awful the second half of the year.

Here is the team press release.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/14/canadiens-trade-louis-leblanc-anaheim-ducks/

The part that's disappointing is that he was a 1st round pick. It's a real shame after the solid rookie season he had. He really looked to be an nhler after that. Basically a 1st rounder for a late 5th round pick. Ouch

Well Commandant you were correct and I was wrong and thought he wouldn't even be worth a 5th to other teams (and that Bergevin wouldn't deal him for a 6th/7th which I suppose could be true?).

Good for LL and good for Timmins et al; now if can somehow add a 2nd/3rd I would be very happy.

Habs have three 5th rounders (123rd & 125th & 146th)

(now I see is a 2015 5th rounder)

Really too bad about this kid. I never thought he'd be a star, but in his stint with us he struck me as an intelligent hockey player who could mature into a "glue guy" third or maybe second-liner. Never happened, obviously.

I don't fault the Habs for drafting him. As I recall he was by general consensus a legitimate pick. The draft is an inexact science, what're ya gonna do.

I don't know if he was ever really given a shot, it seems like the team soured on him very quickly, and as we all say he didn't play well enough to force the coach to play him. I won't be suprised if he turns it around and makes the ducks team. Too bad we wasted a draft pick because we thought he was from Quebec.

Bob McKenzie had him 17th and Habs took him 18th, so I think French was just an added bonus, but for sure with draft being in Montreal, the PR dept was pulling for LL to be picked.

Renaud Lavoie says Leblanc has to play 15 NHL games for the Habs to get the 5th rounder. Ouch. That suggests to me that he wasn't getting a qualifying offer had he still been on the roster in a couple of weeks.

They should've given him a copy of the '3 amigos' after he was drafted. How not to be a local pro... by Mike Ribiero. Edited by Pierre Dagenais.

LL is a mess psychologically. This is what happens when a God complex meets adversity where actual character is required.

Renaud Lavoie says Leblanc has to play 15 NHL games for the Habs to get the 5th rounder. Ouch. That suggests to me that he wasn't getting a qualifying offer had he still been on the roster in a couple of weeks.

Hi Brian--- My guess would be that you are closer to the truth with your first statement. I am going to suggest to you that the CBA will not allow you to direct a player to another team without some compensation. If you were to get nothing in this scenario, you would be bypassing the rest of the teams' rights to get a shot at him. Usually a conditional pick is upgraded by some criteria. i don't recall a conditional trade that was structured with a downgrade; but it may have happened. But never to nothing.

so what do we get if he doesn't play 15 games?

Nothing by the sounds of it.

Hi Brian--- My guess would be that you are closer to the truth with your first statement. I am going to suggest to you that the CBA will not allow you to direct a player to another team without some compensation. If you were to get nothing in this scenario, you would be bypassing the rest of the teams' rights to get a shot at him. Usually a conditional pick is upgraded by some criteria. i don't recall a conditional trade that was structured with a downgrade; but it may have happened. But never to nothing.

There have been several of those types of trades this year alone, where a conditional pick is included but doesn't actually change teams.

Devan Dubnyk (future considerations was a conditional pick)

James Livingston

Cade Fairchild

Linus Omark (15 NHL GP was the criterion for the conditional 6th given up for him, he played 13)

Jason Labarbera (future considerations was a conditional pick)

Montreal picked up T.J. Kemp back in 2009 for a conditional draft pick that wound up being nothing as well. It does happen.

Yes, I thought he looked good at the World Juniors and then seemed to hold his own as a NHL rookie, but seemed an ankle injury derailed him in Hamilton.

Ya, I think was a lot between the ears and motivation or something along those lines and ankle was just sort of coincidence. I think poor relationship to new mgmt. for sure.

Nothing by the sounds of it.

There have been several of those types of trades this year alone, where a conditional pick is included but doesn't actually change teams.

Devan Dubnyk (future considerations was a conditional pick)

James Livingston

Cade Fairchild

Linus Omark (15 NHL GP was the criterion for the conditional 6th given up for him, he played 13)

Jason Labarbera (future considerations was a conditional pick)

Montreal picked up T.J. Kemp back in 2009 for a conditional draft pick that wound up being nothing as well. It does happen.

Anahiem could make sure he only gets 14 games? Seems wishy washy to me.

Anahiem could make sure he only gets 14 games? Seems wishy washy to me.

If Anaheim likes him as a regular roster player, they're not going to restrict him to 14 games just to save a 5th round pick. And if they don't like him enough to dress him for 15 games, then he is worthless anyway.

I don't fault the Habs for drafting him. As I recall he was by general consensus a legitimate pick. The draft is an inexact science, what're ya gonna do.

He was ranked around the slot that he was selected, but it's unlikely that he also happened to be Timmins' favourite available player. It would have taken balls to stick to your scouts' guns. If the draft wasn't in Montreal that year, it could be Kreider on our roster (who seems to fit the Timmins profile), like we have Pacioretty instead of Perron.