The Drive to Stay Alive...and remove Bishop's horseshoe - Habs vs Lightning, Game 6

dlbalr

I wasn't joking about that.

That might even be the Florida sign, I remember the Habs sign had "Pas d'excuses" underneath so even RDS knew that the Habs were serious business.

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/florida-panthers-no-excuses-early-season-defeats-101114

lol..... therrien has more excuses than he does cliches

"the powerplay is not just about scoring its about momentum" lol one of his better ones

Realistic? I was one who got grief for saying Tampa would win in 6/7 and Petry was playing his last game in a Hab jersey.

If you had certain other lofty expectations, that is fine, but must be bit blinded by your Rose-coloured HabGlasses and bit unrealistic.

Bergevin also didn't think they were on cusp of cup; because if he did he likely would of mortgaged future more as other top teams did in a big push for it (ie Tampa, Rangers).

I got grief from YOU and others when i said that this team was not a stanley cup contender last fall. Repeating that MB stated we may even take a step back in 015.

Better late than never though Donny.

Well, what was supposed to happen, happened! You can't expect to go down 0-3 and then win the series. The Habs got beat by a better team.

• Upvote 1

I hate to see him blaming himself. The quality of the shots he had to stop was not comparable to what Bishop have seen. The reason why they lost is because there are too many incompetent offensive players in that team.

I was glad to read this morning that Therrien blamed Plekanec for his play last night. Once again, no. 14 showed me that he has no business playing on the 1st line. Way over-rated and it's about time that management comes to the same conclusion.

Well, what was supposed to happen, happened! You can't expect to go down 0-3 and then win the series. The Habs got beat by a better team.

exactly what Price said..... "we put ourselves down 3-0"

Yes, she is over...time to golf, or fish-tennis-soccer or whatever.

I can easily convince myself that Habs played very well (outplayed them) in 4 of 6 games and was just the way the shitwinds blow sometimes with a bad call or fluke goal being huge.

But, no question Bishop played well, Tampa had more firepower/weapons up front and why they were one of highest scoring teams and Habs have... a Pacioretty.

Will be a big guessing game as to what significant changes will happen between now and early July.

I think there is way too much negativity. The Tampa series was psychologically brutal - the team ended up facing insane odds basically because of brutal puck-luck. It is a very hard thing for a team to overcome that phenomenon of not getting rewarded despite doing almost everything right. They nevertheless sucked it up and punched back for two games. But when Tampa came out with by far its best effort of the series, and the Habs failed to cash in in the first period, they found themselves running on fumes, in the knowledge that the feat they were attempting is almost impossible. Teams need to have hope in order to find that extra level of energy. It's too bad, but entirely understandable. Unfortunately.

Price blaming himself - sheesh! Much as I dislike the scapegoating game, Plekanec, Markov, and Subban are the three who should be looking hardest in the mirror today. Pleks made two gaffes that cost us back-breaking goals at critical times in the series. Subban sucked ass last night despite his big talk. And Markov is done as a top-pairing defenceman.

I will not be surprised if Plekanec is moved. One thing Zoot Suit's regime has shown itself to be is absolutely ruthless with veterans that it perceived to be overpaid or entering their decline.

Well.... so that's it for this year. Congrats to the Habs for a really interesting season. I don't have many beefs to yak about. I think the team played absolutely wonderfully with the occasional exception. As CC suggested I'd bet Markov was hurt. SuubyDubyDo was great fun and a great leader at times and responsible for some bad gaffes. . and costly penalties. I like Pleks throughout the series ,but don't think he's a first line talent. Great Hab. I really liked MT and the way he responded to circumstance, for I think we outplayed TB pretty much throughout the series, and agreed with Subban who said that they just didn't get the bounces. As the Muslims say.. Man proposes...Allah disposes.

I really liked the way this team came out to play night after night, and bet they were physically and emotionally exhausted. Who wouldn't be? Darned good year for the horses we rode and lots to build on for next year.

Congrats Habs on an excellent season and thanks so much for the great entertainment. God bless the Habs.

Well.... so that's it for this year. Congrats to the Habs for a really interesting season. I don't have many beefs to yak about. I think the team played absolutely wonderfully with the occasional exception. As CC suggested I'd bet Markov was hurt. SuubyDubyDo was great fun and a great leader at times and responsible for some bad gaffes. . and costly penalties. I like Pleks throughout the series ,but don't think he's a first line talent. Great Hab. I really liked MT and the way he responded to circumstance, for I think we outplayed TB pretty much throughout the series, and agreed with Subban who said that they just didn't get the bounces. As the Muslims say.. Man proposes...Allah disposes.

I really liked the way this team came out to play night after night, and bet they were physically and emotionally exhausted. Who wouldn't be? Darned good year for the horses we rode and lots to build on for next year.

Congrats Habs on an excellent season and thanks so much for the great entertainment. God bless the Habs.

yay .......... give everyone a trophy!

lol..... therrien has more excuses than he does cliches

"the powerplay is not just about scoring its about momentum" lol one of his better ones

I found that moving. :blush:

He was right, and more importantly he wasn't adding to the burden of his players and coaches for no good reason. Good coaching.

as was said by Jack Todd " lightning can ice two top lines that match anyone in the league, where the habs can barely put one together"

That's been true for two years now. Last year they had holes on defense and Yzerman went out and got Garrison and Stralman. If Yzerman was MB he would have traded for Gonchar and Allen.

Sure, the price was high, but the name of the game is winning the Cup, not bolstering a GM resume by obsessing over picks and the salary cap.

I found that moving. :blush:

He was right, and more importantly he wasn't adding to the burden of his players and coaches for no good reason. Good coaching.

"not adding to the burden".......... Guess thats all you can do when you have given up on removing the burden. Bad coaching

That's been true for two years now. Last year they had holes on defense and Yzerman went out and got Garrison and Stralman. If Yzerman was MB he would have traded for Gonchar and Allen.

Sure, the price was high, but the name of the game is winning the Cup, not bolstering a GM resume by obsessing over picks and the salary cap.

well said

A fine game when you clog your cap with so many contracts you likely can't afford to re-sign one of the best forwards in the league.

They have to re-sign Stamkos and Kucherov next summer and the summer after that have to re-sign Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Bishop and Hedman. Both Stamkos and Kucherov are likely to be looking for $3M-$5M raises and the only significant cap money that comes off is Braydon Coburn. The only place of relief they have is Bishop, since Yzerman has two pretty high potential goalies in the system to replace if they decide to just let him walk.

A fine game when you clog your cap with so many contracts you likely can't afford to re-sign one of the best forwards in the league.

They have to re-sign Stamkos and Kucherov next summer and the summer after that have to re-sign Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Bishop and Hedman. Both Stamkos and Kucherov are likely to be looking for $3M-$5M raises and the only significant cap money that comes off is Braydon Coburn. The only place of relief they have is Bishop, since Yzerman has two pretty high potential goalies in the system to replace if they decide to just let him walk.

Johnson, Palat, Bishop, Hedman, Stampkos, Kucherov ................ six dynamite players. Yzermans job is to acquire great hockey players. If you do that you will never be able to keep them all.....that aint exactly knew..............even pre cap the oilers were never able to keep their big guys............but they won with them before they moved on.

Stevie Y has proven to be a pretty damn good Gm. Mind you he had the advantage the bolts sucking to get stamkos hedman etc. But still a very good job.

I think MB made moves this past season to make room on the cap for next year, knowing that the Habs would be competitive this season regardless.

It stands to reason, within what Bergevin said in the first place, it will be a process to change the team and build the core, that this was not the season to go all in and sell out for that very costly winger/forward whatever.

Even the most critical fan can't say we were a bounce or two away from actually taking the Lightning in 6 games, that's hockey.

Just maybe there is a good old fashioned hockey trade that MB is working on or toward, to acquiring that top 6 or 3 forward, while still going along the concept line of changing the team characteristics from the Habs on down to the prospects.

I'm happy enough with this season especially with Price's season, and hopefull enough that Galchenyuk and Gallagher will be a year older and better next season, as well as Beaulieu, and maybe even get Petry signed, and then see what is in the works up front. Maybe even Scherbak makes the team outta camp?

Next season, decisions will have to be made with Tinordi and Pateryn as well, so it won't be boring I'm sure...

Stevie Y has proven to be a pretty damn good Gm. Mind you he had the advantage the bolts sucking to get stamkos hedman etc. But still a very good job.

no etc. Stamps and Hedman he inherited. He built the rest.

MB inherited Subban, Price, Pacs ....... Granted Yzerman has been on the job longer. Now going forward I would like to see MB add players of value to the Habs, as well as Stevie Y has added to the Bolts.

I think MB made moves this past season to make room on the cap for next year, knowing that the Habs would be competitive this season regardless.

It stands to reason, within what Bergevin said in the first place, it will be a process to change the team and build the core, that this was not the season to go all in and sell out for that very costly winger/forward whatever.

Even the most critical fan can't say we were a bounce or two away from actually taking the Lightning in 6 games, that's hockey.

Just maybe there is a good old fashioned hockey trade that MB is working on or toward, to acquiring that top 6 or 3 forward, while still going along the concept line of changing the team characteristics from the Habs on down to the prospects.

I'm happy enough with this season especially with Price's season, and hopefull enough that Galchenyuk and Gallagher will be a year older and better next season, as well as Beaulieu, and maybe even get Petry signed, and then see what is in the works up front. Maybe even Scherbak makes the team outta camp?

Next season, decisions will have to be made with Tinordi and Pateryn as well, so it won't be boring I'm sure...

yep, and the rest of the league ain't standing still waiting........they are getting better as well. MB needs to land a couple of players on impact. He is not the new guys anymore. Fourth year in charge. Don't want to see Price carry this team into the play offs next season like he did this season. Carey has to be prefect for us to get wins.