Habs acquire Andrew Shaw; Eller to Washington

dlbalr

According to that write up, would is be reasonable to believe Shaw would be getting $3.75-$4 per and that is fair? Eller was getting $3.5 so this only increases our cap by $500k

If that's what happens, then this looks like a great move IMHO

So, assuming the picks cancel out, we basically trade Eller for a homophobic, young bottom-6 FW with a ton of jam, playing a hard, agitating style that has proven successful in the playoffs.

IF the contract is within reason, that seems like a solid move. We've got no shortage of bottom-6 C, so I doubt we'll miss L'il Baby Lars very much. We just got harder to play against. We also addressed a weakness that I identified a little while back, namely the dearth of Cup rings/experience.

What we get is a another 3rd liner, who will cost us over $4M to sign and we gave up TWO second rounders for him. Hell, we should have been able to draft a player better than that in the 2nd round! But we should all be happy, that SO FAR, Subban is still here.

What we get is a another 3rd liner, who will cost us over $4M to sign and we gave up TWO second rounders for him. Hell, we should have been able to draft a player better than that in the 2nd round! But we should all be happy, that SO FAR, Subban is still here.

Shaw helps us now. 2nd rounders will help us (maybe) in 5 years.... I like the trade.

While you could be 100% right, Shaw is only 24, he could feasibly put up 20+ goals, tack on another 30 assists and it's worth the $4m price tag, as long as he can keep it up for the duration of the contract. We keep forgetting the value of intensity he'll bring.

But we also traded a 3rd liner for two second round picks. So that's not the right way to look at this. We basically shipped out Eller and added Shaw, who Quenneville declared "indispensable" to the Hawks lineup. No one ever in their lives described Eller as indispensable. This move, like I say above, makes us a harder team to play against and adds Cup experience while subtracting nothing irreplaceable from our lineup. IF the contract is sensible, it's a good move.

While you could be 100% right, Shaw is only 24, he could feasibly put up 20+ goals, tack on another 30 assists and it's worth the $4m price tag.

Sure, except he's literaly never done either of those things.

Yeah, I don't agree with that 'wishful thinking' approach either. Nonetheless, we got younger, tougher, and more experienced, without losing anything. The trade stands on its own merits without fantasizing about Shaw as a top-6 FW.

14 goals and 20 assists last season @ 24. Thats 6 more goals and 10 more assists. Gallagher would of did that type of jump this season barring injuries.

Yeah, I don't agree with that 'wishful thinking' approach either. Nonetheless, we got younger, tougher, and more experienced, without losing anything. The trade stands on its own merits without fantasizing about Shaw as a top-6 FW.

We lost two higher draft picks this year (washington pick is lower) and got a pick next year. I'd rather they traded Eller and 3 2nd rounders and the 9th to move up.

14 goals and 20 assists last season @ 24. Thats 6 more goals and 10 more assists. Gallagher would of did that type of jump this season barring injuries.

Pay him for what he's done, not what he might do if the stars align. He's bottom 6 (with spot duty in the top 6) and should be paid as such.

Pay him for what he's done, not what he might do if the stars align. He's bottom 6 (with spot duty in the top 6) and should be paid as such.

100% agree. that's what got the hawks in trouble in the past. Pay for short playoff production, in the hope that it carries over to the following year.

Hawks initially said Shaw was irreplaceable. Did a great job of driving up his value, as they manage to trade him for 2 2nd rounders.

100% agree. that's what got the hawks in trouble in the past. Pay for short playoff production, in the hope that it carries over to the following year.

Hawks initially said Shaw was irreplaceable. Did a great job of driving up his value, as they manage to trade him for 2 2nd rounders.

Good points, sir, especially about the picks. Nonetheless - dwelling on '2 2nd rounders for Andrew Shaw' does have to be softened with reference to those other two picks.

Good points, sir, especially about the picks. Nonetheless - dwelling on '2 2nd rounders for Andrew Shaw' does have to be softened with reference to those other two picks.

we dropped two 2nds this year and picked up a lower 2nd this year. Than we picked up a 2nd next year - which considering its washington, will probably be a late 2nd.

wow is ottawa dumb???? trade up one spot and give up a 3rd??

I wonder if the 2 future 2nds are worth more in a trade at the deadline for a playoff push. We lose on the value because they are late 2nds, but maybe the value is increased because they are picks and not prospects.

Habs29, all I'm saying is

1. We weaken out 2nd-round position somewhat, but we still have picks - it's not like we firebombed our draft

2. We're a better team right now than we were before the trade.

It's not exactly Kordic for Courtnall, but there's a case for endorsing it as a solid move to improve our team.

Habs29, all I'm saying is

1. We weaken out 2nd-round position somewhat, but we still have picks - it's not like we firebombed our draft

2. We're a better team right now than we were before the trade.

It's not exactly Kordic for Courtnall, but there's a case for endorsing it as a solid move to improve our team.

I'm not as confident. This wasn't the move we needed to make - we need help on the top6. hopefully that will still come.

We'll have to see if Eller does better in a new environment and if Shaw can do better on a team with less offensive talent.

We lost two higher draft picks this year (washington pick is lower) and got a pick next year. I'd rather they traded Eller and 3 2nd rounders and the 9th to move up.

Teams don't tend to trade down from high picks for a collection of 2nd round picks and overpaid 3rd line forwards. Unless you were hoping to only move up a spot or two with that offer...

wow is ottawa dumb???? trade up one spot and give up a 3rd??

Evidently they really wanted Brown. New Jersey taking another C suggests they may actually have needed to trade up to get it done. I wouldn't have personally either though.

Shaw will have a conference call at noon EST tomorrow.

I really don't understand the Shaw trade, I don't see him being much more than another Eller. Sergie what ever his name is is a good pick in 2 years he may help us.

I really don't understand the Shaw trade, I don't see him being much more than another Eller. Sergie what ever his name is is a good pick in 2 years he may help us.

If I had to guess the logic?  The offence is more or less a wash so I'm thinking they feel he's a better fit.  Eller's consistently inconsistent while Shaw's high end energy style doesn't fluctuate from night to night as much.  That, and he's more of a grinder which fits in with what Therrien likes.

So, assuming the picks cancel out, we basically trade Eller for a homophobic, young bottom-6 FW with a ton of jam, playing a hard, agitating style that has proven successful in the playoffs.

IF the contract is within reason, that seems like a solid move. We've got no shortage of bottom-6 C, so I doubt we'll miss L'il Baby Lars very much. We just got harder to play against. We also addressed a weakness that I identified a little while back, namely the dearth of Cup rings/experience.

I'm both celebrating and disgusted. Would rather keep the picks.