Getting a shot.

Bostonhabs

I really hope they give our young d a chance this year. We will be a far better team in the long run for it since our core is quite young. Not just Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi but Greg Pateryn who was our best d man not in the nhl and he brings much needed size. Magnus Nygren has a bomb of a shot and right handed that we dont have much of. Plus he is 24 and played so good hockey. really curious what he can do at the nhl level.

I hope that these guys work hard in the off season, and Therrien is impressed enough in camp, to give one or two of the 3 young guys a real shot at some NHL time this season, just can't see any of them being worse than Murray in a lineup spot.

I realize that most guys on this board(and other boards) are of the opinion that none of Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn are ready, and I'm not disputing that, but I'm hopeful of not seeing Murray type plugs this year in the lineup.... none of these guys could be that bad could they?

At what point is the AHL playing time not going to help Pateryn? He has progressed nicely, judging by his past season, he may be the most ready of the 3, but it's almost like the Habs don't want to give him a chance?

Nygren is going to have to be super impressive, since he thinks he is too good to play in the AHL, and wants traded if not able to make the the Habs lineup. Good luck with that strategy Magnus.... Prima donna.

Seems to me a lot of NHL teams are playing their young defensemen in the NHL for most of their development into a pro, and it seems the NHL is getting to be a young man's game more and more all the time, and in a lot of cases they seem to be doing well, Myers excluded....Boston doesn't seem to have missed a beat bringing in Krug, as well as the other young D they have used recently, why can't the Habs?

Even if some or all of the 3 are ready, we better get Markov and Weaver signed.....

I think every single person here - and probably every single person in the Habs organization - wants to see at least one of Beaulieu, Tinordi, or Pateryn become regulars next season. Indeed, if that doesn't happen, we'd better be seriously worried. More than two would be an outright miracle, however.

On the other hand, some fans seem to think that just throwing an unready rookie out there in a major role is guaranteed to work. It's not. Defence is the hardest position to play (other than goal, maybe) and the path of development is complex. Krug worked because he was ready (or maybe he was playing out of his mind with rookie enthusiasm). It doesn't follow that Beaulieu or Tinordi would therefore have worked the same way. People conveniently forget, they gave Tinordi a shot and he played himself back into the AHL. So, yes, give them a "shot" - but they have to EARN what they get and beat out the Murrays and Weavers of the world, like Subban did.

I think every single person here - and probably every single person in the Habs organization - wants to see at least one of Beaulieu, Tinordi, or Pateryn become regulars next season. Indeed, if that doesn't happen, we'd better be seriously worried. More than two would be an outright miracle, however.

On the other hand, some fans seem to think that just throwing an unready rookie out there in a major role is guaranteed to work. It's not. Defence is the hardest position to play (other than goal, maybe) and the path of development is complex. Krug worked because he was ready (or maybe he was playing out of his mind with rookie enthusiasm). It doesn't follow that Beaulieu or Tinordi would therefore have worked the same way. People conveniently forget, they gave Tinordi a shot and he played himself back into the AHL. So, yes, give them a "shot" - but they have to EARN what they get and beat out the Murrays and Weavers of the world, like Subban did.

I agree, a big reason why we beat Boston was that they had green defensemen in key roles. Krug is sheltered by one of the best coached with regards to match ups in the NHL (he was also scratched for a few games last year) and Hamilton was breast fed by Chara. The other two who weren't, Miller and Bartkowski, were flat out awful.

The last time we had two rookie defensemen as regulars we finished 28th in the league.

They have to earn their spots. If they can't outplay Bouillon, Diaz and Murray, as was the case last year, they belong in the minors.

Yup, both Beaulieu and Tinordi showed they still not quite 'ready for primetime', Tinordi actually had close to or just over 20minutes in a game or two and really exposed his weaknesses and Beaulieu was horrible in last couple playoff games.

So, I am hoping it will be motivation going into off-season for both to train even harder (if Beaulieu can stay sober and out of courts will be a good first step)

Should be good competition in training camp for bottom 3 spots on d.

If Bergevin goes for a trade come July 1st, a d-prospect may need be sacrificed and used to help upgrade top six? But, got fingers crossed he only goes for UFA winger.

Like most of you, I dream of the day when we'll see all three of these guys on our Blue line, but also like most of you, I am doubtful that they are ready for a permanent role with the Habs. From what I've seen and heard, Pateryn seems to be the "most ready" of the three (he is also the oldest). So I'd like to see him play the entire season in Montreal. Allow the kid to make mistakes without ripping his head off when he makes one! That's how he's gonna learn...not by benching him every time he makes a mistake! Now that Therrien has a 4 year contract, I hope he'll be a little more patient with the kids....

Tinordi: 6'6" - 227 pds (22 years old)

Pateryn: 6'2" - 221 pds (24 years old)

Beaulieu: 6'2" - 195 pds (21 years old)

I definitely think the future is bright for the Habs Blue line!

I think Bergevin has already made it clear to Therrien exactly what he expects to see on our blueline. MB's comments about wanting to see Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Pateryn on our blueline were for our ears and for Therrien's as well.

Even if it works out and the D-pairs are:

Markov - Emelin

Subban - Gorges

Tinordi - Beaulieu

Pateryn

There's still a huge problem in a couple of years. Markov retires in 3 years and can no longer do what he once could. Gorges IMO will be a liability in long playoff runs. Emelin remains a question mark although I expect a bounce back season.

So... even if these new guys work out, our blueline will thin in the next couple of years. I don't see the prospects in our ranks. We need another blue chip D-man at some point in the near future.

KIngs just won with crap d-core with 3 old timer slugs on it, Regr-Green-MItchell are all older/slow as Murray and have Doughty-Voynov as only 2 top d-men.

So, focus should be more on adding/developing All-Star forwards, of which the Habs only have 1 at present.

D is fine as is and lots of youth in Bennett-Dietz-Thrower-Didier-Nygren, plus the 3 on the cusp, so better depth than most teams I would guess.

But, I do hope they draft a couple big stay at home d this year (Sanheim, Glover, or Dougherty would be good 1st pick), because they just take so long to develop.

Ah, C'mon Don, that's not a crap D core that LA won with man, get realistic your own bad self :rofl:

Muzzin is a great player, and Martinez played well, and those old guys might be long in the tooth, but when they do cut an opposing forward off, he is nailed to the boards, puck turned over.....and we had no physical defensemen in the lineup most of the playoffs. Doughty and Voynov as top two, but they had a great supporting cast....

Ah, C'mon Don, that's not a crap D core that LA won with man, get realistic your own bad self :rofl:

Muzzin is a great player, and Martinez played well, and those old guys might be long in the tooth, but when they do cut an opposing forward off, he is nailed to the boards, puck turned over.....and we had no physical defensemen in the lineup most of the playoffs. Doughty and Voynov as top two, but they had a great supporting cast....

I believe he was exaggerating for effect, much like Habs fans do when talking about our slow D. LA isn't speed skaters on the backend.

Nygren is going to have to be super impressive, since he thinks he is too good to play in the AHL, and wants traded if not able to make the the Habs lineup. Good luck with that strategy Magnus.... Prima donna.

Concidering he is one of the best offensive dmen in the SHL I would also concider him to good for the AHL. The AHL can sometimes be a careerkiller for the ones not making the NHL. If he plays in the SHL instead he would get alot bigger chance at playing for the national team.

Concidering he is one of the best offensive dmen in the SHL I would also concider him to good for the AHL. The AHL can sometimes be a careerkiller for the ones not making the NHL. If he plays in the SHL instead he would get alot bigger chance at playing for the national team.

But he and the Swedish National Team, do not decide his fate in North America, the Canadiens wanted him to play here in NA, and he doesn't want to play and earn his way, in the manner his drafting team wants him to. That isn't the way to make the NHL, it's not the SHL..... stalled his own NHL career, by a dumb decision, and doesn't help his cause of making the NHL anywhere. At this point, how much trade value does he really have?

Nygren has little trade value, but hope they may get a 4th for him, as his defense sucks (which typically aint so good if are a d-man)?

Muzzin? never heard of him (but, I also didn't watch one second of finals).

I've watched the Kings enough to know that he's better than any Habs D-man not named Subban or Markov. Wish we had him.

Nygren has little trade value, but hope they may get a 4th for him, as his defense sucks (which typically aint so good if are a d-man)?

He's the new Veber/Diaz it seems. Bomb shot at the point, likely not ready for primetime. I could see him tossed in a deal as a cherry. Even with the shallow pool of defensive options in the league, I don't see anyone going nutty for Nygren. Aside from certain Habs fans.

I think Bergevin has already made it clear to Therrien exactly what he expects to see on our blueline. MB's comments about wanting to see Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Pateryn on our blueline were for our ears and for Therrien's as well.

Even if it works out and the D-pairs are:

Markov - Emelin

Subban - Gorges

Tinordi - Beaulieu

Pateryn

There's still a huge problem in a couple of years. Markov retires in 3 years and can no longer do what he once could. Gorges IMO will be a liability in long playoff runs. Emelin remains a question mark although I expect a bounce back season.

So... even if these new guys work out, our blueline will thin in the next couple of years. I don't see the prospects in our ranks. We need another blue chip D-man at some point in the near future.

This assumes we don't re-sign Weaver. I think that'd be a mistake.

We've only got room for one at a time. Which is good -- you can't put two of them on a pairing together. You have to put a kid like any of them on a pairing with a veteran, experienced defensive D-man, like Gorges or Weaver.

Personally, I'd get Tinordi ready first. He has the easiest route - he's going to be a big, physical, stay-at-home reliable defensive D-man. He doesn't have to guess when he's expected to chip in, because he isn't -- at all. Once you trust Tinordi, then it's okay to bring in the two-way kids.

Muzzin may be super good, just said I cant remember who he is or if better than MAB or not?

But @ $1m/yr, if he was better than both Emelin/Gorges, Kings got a darn sweet deal.

Guest Stogey24

I'd bring up 2 of them next year, but all 3 at once is crazy.

With 7 D to rotate, both Tinordi and Beaulieu would play about 60 game IMO.

Our second PP is desperately in need of a some offensive flare on D. I think Beaulieu fills that void and should be able to put in a full season next year.

Not a lot of teams have 3 super PP d-men, so don't think is a unusual void.

But, yes it will it be nice to have Subban-Markov and Beaulieu for PP (instead of using Gorges), but Beaulieu was also on for and turned over puck trying high-risk maneuvers, for numerous short handed breakaways in Hamilton and his -17 was earned.

So as long as all realize it wont be all roses with him playing on the PP and regular shift (but normal for young offensive d-men I suppose).