Gorges trade rumour - What/Who do we get from Toronto?

Meller93

This rumour almost comes as a suprise, but the potential trade could be for cap reasons. I'm betting a player with lower salary, but apparently the leafs are big in gorges. Could be a quality player in return. Any ideas?

You can almost guarantee it to be Cody Franson. RFA, big body right handed offensive defenceman.

Agree, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that McKenzie also said it would most likely be for a D-man not named phaneuf, gardiner, or Reilly.

You can almost guarantee it to be Cody Franson. RFA, big body right handed offensive defenceman.

My thoughts as well. A right hand shot, can play top-4, and can probably be signed a bit cheaper than the $3.9 million that Gorges is currently getting, freeing up a bit of cash for elsewhere.

The question to ponder becomes, is that a good deal for the Habs?

I really, really, really don't wanna trade Gorges. I truly believe he is the anchor of our defensive corps.

I'm not too crazy about Gorges, but I would rather see them get a RW like Lupul with a longer deal/questions versus an RFA dman who might get 20-30 points. We're all set with offense from the back end in Subban/Markov/Beaulieu.

I am intrigued to see what Franson can do for the second PP. He has a hell of a shot.

The question to ponder becomes, is that a good deal for the Habs?

Yes and no.

We lose on defence for sure. Gorges is 10 times better in his zone than Franson. In the needs department we win. Franson is a big body, not a bad skater. Good offensively, right handed shot for the PP2. Him and Beaulieu would make a solid PP2 going forward. I'd see the D looking something like:

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Franson

Beaulieu - Tinordi

Or if they kept Emelin to RD:

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Emelin

Tinordi - Franson

Really it would depend on whether Franson would be better in Montreal than he was in Toronto. If so? It could be a fine deal for needs.

Guest Stogey24

I'm not too crazy about Gorges, but I would rather see them get a RW like Lupul with a longer deal/questions versus an RFA dman who might get 20-30 points. We're all set with offense from the back end in Subban/Markov/Beaulieu.

I am intrigued to see what Franson can do for the second PP. He has a hell of a shot.

Lupul is a huge bandaid

Franson for gorges does seen the most possible, an it could work. New rumour about Dan Boyle circulating now too, apparently he could be a Hab next season. Excitement!

I'd hate to lose gorges though, even if the return is good. He means a lot to the room and is a defensive wall. I just wish he was signed to 3.5 or so.

Franson for gorges does seen the most possible, an it could work. New rumour about Dan Boyle circulating now too, apparently he could be a Hab next season. Excitement!

I'd hate to lose gorges though, even if the return is good. He means a lot to the room and is a defensive wall. I just wish he was signed to 3.5 or so.

Well no, Dan Boyle *wants* to be a Hab and has the team on his list but that doesn't mean we want Dan Boyle.

I certainly want nothing to do with Dan "Had to be told there was no place for him in San Jose because he treated it like a pick up game" Boyle.

Guest Stogey24

Maybe the locker room rah-rah is wearing thin on the team? This team has dynamic young talent. Makes a lot of sense to hand them the reins sooner rather than later. Gorges is an asset, but one that every team seems to have.

lol, agreed

Yes and no.

We lose on defence for sure. Gorges is 10 times better in his zone than Franson. In the needs department we win. Franson is a big body, not a bad skater. Good offensively, right handed shot for the PP2. Him and Beaulieu would make a solid PP2 going forward. I'd see the D looking something like:

Emelin - Subban

Markov - Franson

Beaulieu - Tinordi

Sign Weaver and platoon him in/out of lineup with Tinordi. Otherwise, I like these defense pairs a lot.

Apparently Gorges can block a trade to Toronto.

Yep. Gorges has a list of 15 teams he can be dealt to as part of his partial NTC. To be dealt to any of the other 14 teams, he'd have to waive the NTC. Toronto isn't on his list; apparently that's the only thing holding the deal up as it appears to be agreed on in principle.

I love Shane O'Brien as a "character" (he gained something like 5 lbs during the Olympic break in 2010, basically living like a pig), but the idea that he is a substitute for Gorges is a joke. He can't hold Gorges' jock-strap.

If we can trade Gorges for an unquestionable top-4 defenceman, then I'm for it. (Gorges has always been borderline as a top-4 IMHO - although Lord knows I have huge respect for him). Whether Franzon is such an entity is another question.

MTL appears to want to shed his salary/contract. Could trade him to 1 of 15 approved teams. Failing that, could put him on waivers.

— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie)

Can't imagine MB takes this route

If they can free up space, I think they will be after Iginla and Boyle.

I don't think they will land them necessarily, but of the players out there, they fit the holes the habs have. RH defenseman and a power forward who plays RW.