Gorges trade rumour - What/Who do we get from Toronto?

Meller93

Guest Stogey24

I'm comparing what the Hawks and the Kings had as future NHL dmen at the time with the ones we have now. I wish I could compare them with better dmen, but we never sucked that much to get one...

I'm with you with (2). All we needed was a little push to get better, especially with a top line Winger. But I just don't see how we got better today or how we will get better if we play Gilbert and Weaver instead of trying to bring our future dmen to their ceilings as soon as possible. Honestly, I never really liked Gilbert and I doubt he will become my favorite players just by wearing my favorite team's jersey.

Gilbert and Weaver have no future with this team, their ceilings have been reached long time ago. Our best shot at getting better without ######ing this team up once again was to bring Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Eller, Gallagher and Beaulieu close to their ceilings AND pay them cheap while Subban-Pax-Plek-Price-Markov were hot.

What I wanted was a reliable Beaulieu AND Markov on the same squad. Now, it looks like Markov will be retired when Beaulieu will reach top 4 minutes and potential.

This year will tell a lot about Beaulieu. I think we need to take advantage of the fact we have Markov on the team while Beaulieu is still finding his way. Who better to give advise to a young offensive D-man than Markov.

So TSN is reporting that the deal with Toronto was for Franson. What's better:

a) Gorges for Franson

b) Gorges for 2nd, sign Gilbert with the savings

Unless the plan was to flip Franson for something else, I have to think option b was much more ideal, they still get a decent replacement, a bit of cap space (about the same as they would have had with Franson), and a pick.

c) Gorges for Franson, sign Weaver with the savings.

Franson and Gilbert are more alike than Franson and Weaver... A team that has Markov, Subban, Gilbert, Beaulieu and Franson in their top 6 can move the puck well but may have had a bit of trouble in their own end.

Now, at least, every pairing has someone who knows how to play defense.

• Upvote 1

c) Gorges for Franson, sign Weaver with the savings.

Franson and Gilbert are more alike than Franson and Weaver... A team that has Markov, Subban, Gilbert, Beaulieu and Franson in their top 6 can move the puck well but may have had a bit of trouble in their own end.

Now, at least, every pairing has someone who knows how to play defense.

Franson/Weaver vs Gilbert/Weaver/2nd...I still likely go with the latter. I expect Franson's deal will be longer-term, part of what I like with Gilbert is that it's only short-term.

. These three guys are not top prospects. Tinordi's the only one of the three of them that I'm comfortable guaranteeing will even be in the NHL 5 years from now.

That's not true. Beaulieu has been rated as a top prospect for years, and he was slated to go in the top ten of the first round in his draft year. Tinordi is more of a reach as a late first rounder, but a solid prospect.

Beaulieu was the 5th rated North American skater in 2011.

How much better are Adam Larrson, Dougie Hamilton, Duncan Siemens, Jonas Brodin, Ryan Murphy and Jamie Oleksiak? Those were the defensemen taken before Beaulieu. Of those, only Hamilton and Brodin have done better, and i'm not convinced they will be any better when it's all said and done.

You kindof proved my point there, LM.

Adam Larrson, Duncan Siemens, Ryan Murphy and Jamie Oleksiak -- if those guys are supposedly better prospects, and they aren't doing anything yet...

Tinordi is blue-chip because of his size. And honestly, he can move, too. He's not going to win any footraces, but he's not Hal Gil or Doug Murray. He's mobile. That makes things so much easier for him to settle into a solid defensive d-man position successfully. He doesn't need to be flashy, or to put up points. He just needs to clear guys from in front of the net, outmuscle them in the corners, and play smart defensive hockey.

Beaulieu is going to have to prove he can be another Andrei Markov. That's not going to be easy.

You kindof proved my point there, LM.

Adam Larrson, Duncan Siemens, Ryan Murphy and Jamie Oleksiak -- if those guys are supposedly better prospects, and they aren't doing anything yet...

Tinordi is blue-chip because of his size. And honestly, he can move, too. He's not going to win any footraces, but he's not Hal Gil or Doug Murray. He's mobile. That makes things so much easier for him to settle into a solid defensive d-man position successfully. He doesn't need to be flashy, or to put up points. He just needs to clear guys from in front of the net, outmuscle them in the corners, and play smart defensive hockey.

Beaulieu is going to have to prove he can be another Andrei Markov. That's not going to be easy.

Why put that much pressure on Beaulieu. Why does he have to become another Markov. Becoming a Streit or a Shatenkirk would be just fine.

Why put that much pressure on Beaulieu. Why does he have to become another Markov. Becoming a Streit or a Shatenkirk would be just fine.

Because we're better off with a Josh Gorges than with a Streit or a Shatenkirk.

You kindof proved my point there, LM.Adam Larrson, Duncan Siemens, Ryan Murphy and Jamie Oleksiak -- if those guys are supposedly better prospects, and they aren't doing anything yet...Tinordi is blue-chip because of his size. And honestly, he can move, too. He's not going to win any footraces, but he's not Hal Gil or Doug Murray. He's mobile. That makes things so much easier for him to settle into a solid defensive d-man position successfully. He doesn't need to be flashy, or to put up points. He just needs to clear guys from in front of the net, outmuscle them in the corners, and play smart defensive hockey.Beaulieu is going to have to prove he can be another Andrei Markov. That's not going to be easy.

I would be happy if Beaulieu can be another Schneider.