Habs invite 44 players to rookie camp

JGC21

But, if a forward has a choice whos corner to dump puck into, Tinordi will have a target on his back.

Till he can prove he can move it out of zone without turning it over.

He was even getting pushed around by average sized NHLers last year (and definitely couldn't handle Lucic/Hartnell-type forwards), so a lot will depend if he is stronger on his skates this fall.

We're banking on improvement/development. Same as we are with Beaulieu and Galchenyuk and even Eller, though his rope is a lot less.

I think the rope you talk of is just armchair GM noose. don't think Mgmt is as down on him as many seem to be.

We should find out whats what with Eller by end of week arbitration date. I would like to see a 4 year- $12m deal (but just a wild stab, realistic??)

I think the rope you talk of is just armchair GM noose. don't think Mgmt is as down on him as many seem to be.

We should find out whats what with Eller by end of week arbitration date. I would like to see a 4 year- $12m deal (but just a wild stab, realistic??)

I think Eller has a shorter rope. He's 25 now and entering his third contract, however long it may be. He has over 300 NHL GP under his belt already, a healthy season and a playoff appearance will get him near or at 400. If there are still question marks about a player after 400 games, they're likely not going to go away and Bergevin may feel at that time that a change of scenery could be necessary if Eller has another up and down season. Guys like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and Bournival, all players who will be counted on to take on more of the load this coming year, are younger and aren't in as much of a make or break situation as Eller could very well be; thus they have a longer rope.

As for a 4 x $3 M deal, that doesn't seem too crazy. I think he'd be looking for closer to $3.5 M at that term but $3 M should be in the ballpark.

after the playoff eller had (and yes I think he was our top forward) I think that's a fair contract 3 mil per sounds about right

Why is he on a shorter rope?? What age did Steen finally break out out?? Do you think the leafs are regretting giving up in him now??

I think Eller has a shorter rope. He's 25 now and entering his third contract, however long it may be. He has over 300 NHL GP under his belt already, a healthy season and a playoff appearance will get him near or at 400. If there are still question marks about a player after 400 games, they're likely not going to go away and Bergevin may feel at that time that a change of scenery could be necessary if Eller has another up and down season. Guys like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and Bournival, all players who will be counted on to take on more of the load this coming year, are younger and aren't in as much of a make or break situation as Eller could very well be; thus they have a longer rope.

As for a 4 x $3 M deal, that doesn't seem too crazy. I think he'd be looking for closer to $3.5 M at that term but $3 M should be in the ballpark.

Why is he on a shorter rope?? What age did Steen finally break out out?? Do you think the leafs are regretting giving up in him now??

How long do the Habs need to wait to see if Eller sheds his inconsistent label? 500 games? 600? The Leafs moved Steen around the 250 GP mark. Eller has played over 300 with the Habs and I'm not suggesting they'd consider dealing him until it's at 400, or the equivalent of about 5 full NHL seasons. You can't talk about potential forever.

Steen broke out at 26, an age that Eller will hit this coming postseason. He also had three years of over 30 points under his belt at that time, Eller has yet to exceed 30 points once. Did the Leafs give up on Steen too early? Yes...and trading him for Stempniak made little sense as well. If Montreal were to trade Eller at the end of this coming season, you'd have a hard time convincing me that waiting five years and 400 games for a 1st round pick to be more than an inconsistent 3rd line C wasn't waiting long enough.

A lot of it is also contract-based. If Eller goes through arbitration and gets a 1 year deal, he's a year away from free agency. If he has another up-and-down year, the Habs won't want to commit long-term and Eller probably won't either. If neither side wants to sign long-term, you trade him. If he gets a long-term deal by the end of the week and has another iffy year, they're going to probably want to shed the contract unless it's really on the cheap side.

I'm with dlbalr. Eller doesn't need to explode this season, but he does need to become significantly more consistent - to stop being a passenger for 80% of games the Habs play and start taking the initiative more reliably. He took a major step forward in 2012-13, then regressed last year. He cannot afford another season of mediocrity but needs to show that he is actually building toward something.

That said, who knows? Maybe the Habs will just decide to accept that he is a 30-point C with some size who enjoys occasional short-lived explosive spurts where he suddenly looks like a top-6 C. (Remember how Benoit Brunet would go on these occasional offensive tears for 8-9 games or so? Kinda like that). In this case the only question mark would be whether he can get a bit more defensively consistent; and if so, he can play out his career with us (or elsewhere) as a low-cost bottom-6er. It's a depressing scenario to contemplate IMHO, but maybe one the Habs are prepared to live with (?).

I jjust don't put a lot of stock into a guy who had 15 F'in points this year in junior?

But I guess he more than doubled his 6point total from the year before.

Character may be there, but come on!

Guest Stogey24

I jjust don't put a lot of stock into a guy who had 15 F'in points this year in junior?

But I guess he more than doubled his 6point total from the year before.

Character may be there, but come on!

I agree, but he's from Montreal. Go figure...

not bad not bad..good to see that both these guys are in the system. possibly both in Hamilton 2014/15?

Imama has yet to turn 18. He's two full seasons away from being eligible to play in the minors full-time.

I just don't think Nevins will make it above AHL, but at first glance Crisp looks intriguing, but Nevins did drop em 3 times in just a short time in AHL and I think I recall he did well in those bouts.

Crisp I have a good feeling will be one of my favourite Habs in a few years. The guy does not have confidence issues ever. Always willing to give everything for his team. Tough as nails with deceiving offensive touch. He will be a cornerstone to our bottom six. Hopefully.

a bigger prust type player just sounds great! anybody know anything about joe finley..other than he's a giant 6'8" 250 pounder?! wouldn't it be sweet if he could kick some *ss?!! habs just signed him yesterday to play d in Hamilton.

a bigger prust type player just sounds great! anybody know anything about joe finley..other than he's a giant 6'8" 250 pounder?! wouldn't it be sweet if he could kick some *ss?!! habs just signed him yesterday to play d in Hamilton.

Finley was a late first rounder in 05 who never amounted to much. He was a number six defenseman in Buffalo and the Islanders for about half a year each stop.

He narrowly beat Prust despite being a super heavyweight fighting a full two or three weight classes above him in 2012.

I just googled his fights..seems to be an ok fighter, maybe he'll get the call up when we play bos, tor, ott etc..we could pair him up with tinordi and hello!

They would have to sign him to an NHL two-way deal first (and there's room on the 50-contract limit so it could be done). Do keep in mind though that he was a frequently healthy scratch on the farm last year. Talent wise, he's another John Scott...or perhaps even less talented. He does fill the pure goon spot down there at least...

maybe they sat him out as a defenseman last year? surely we could put the big dummy on 4th line vs the league toughs? but then again, anybody with less talent than john scott surely shouldn't be in the league.