Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

• 2 weeks later...

The competitive landscape is going to change in the coming years with a whole whack of new draft restrictions designed to create a more even playing field. I like the shorter window to get contracts done so the rookies can get into short-season rookie ball but I find the cap, although flexible, to be overly restrictive when you consider any selection beyond the 10th round (including supplemental/sandwich rounds) that gets a bonus over $100k will count against the allocation limit. I think we'll see a lot of $100k bonuses handed out now.

Here's an overview of some of the rules as the CBA gets closer to formally being completed: http://www.baseballa...s-from-the-cba/

Well the Jays wanted Buchholz in return so....not hard to see why they looked elsewhere.

I'm not sure that wasn't just said to send the message to move on already. I don't think they actually expected Boston would even remotely consider moving Buchholz for him.

Read an interesting tweet just now with Reyes signing in Miami

Between 2006 and 2009, four seasons, the Marlins combined opening day payrolls were 104.2 million.

And they just gave Jose Reyes 106 million.

I think that is over 6 years, so that is probably good value when you consider some of those like contracts in New York. i thought one of AA's possible strategies would be to sign Reyes then trade Escobar for your second baseman, where you would have to get Escobar value.

I think that is over 6 years, so that is probably good value when you consider some of those like contracts in New York. i thought one of AA's possible strategies would be to sign Reyes then trade Escobar for your second baseman, where you would have to get Escobar value.

I don't think Reyes would have been a good fit in Toronto. His health is always a concern; I can't see him making it to the end of that deal without several lengthy injuries. Plus, it appears Toronto would prefer a big HR guy for the heart of their lineup, Reyes doesn't fit that either...though he'd have been a good leadoff guy.

I don't think Reyes would have been a good fit in Toronto. His health is always a concern; I can't see him making it to the end of that deal without several lengthy injuries. Plus, it appears Toronto would prefer a big HR guy for the heart of their lineup, Reyes doesn't fit that either...though he'd have been a good leadoff guy.

TSN reports the Jays are in the running for Prince Fielder's services.

TSN reports the Jays are in the running for Prince Fielder's services.

Their source is some no name out of Cleveland. The report has since been debunked. That isn't to say they won't make a pitch for him but talks around the league with him and Pujols are moving at a snails pace.

At the first day of the Winter Meetings, not a whole lot of confirmed anything really. Lots of talks, plenty of rumours, but that's it beyond a couple small signings. A lot hinges on the arbitration deadline which is midnight Wednesday. The Jays will be paying attention to the answers of Francisco, Rauch, and Johnson, especially the latter. Though Johnson is the best MLB 2B left on the market, they may want him to go elsewhere and collect the draft pick compensation to help boost their draft fund. David Ortiz in Boston is another interesting one to watch in that regard.

The Jays make a trade early on Day 2 and it's one of those 'out of left field' ones. They trade Nestor Molina, regarded as one of their top pitching prospects (was a fielder when they signed him) to the Chi Sox for closer Sergio Santos (who also was a fielder originally). What makes this even more strange? The Blue Jays had Santos (as a SS) until 2008 where they waived him. Talk about paying to get a player back. Santos signed a 3 year, $8.75 M extension recently with a trio of team options for around $23 million. Considering the value closers are getting right now, that's not bad at all, a combined ~31 million over 6 years. Of course, both sides are taking a risk here - Santos has pitched a whopping 115 MLB innings in his career while Molina could be a starter or reliever. That's a pretty even deal in my books.

Other tidbits from early today:

- Miami has a 10 year, $200+ million offer on the table for Pujols. Now Loria's going to spend the money from revenue sharing after all these years...after bilking Miami into paying for his new stadium.

- Kevin Slowey dealt to Colorado for a PTBNL. If he can be even a #5 starter with the Rockies (he was mostly a long reliever last year), this could be a really shrewd move.

- Aaron Harang gets a 2 year, $12 M deal with the no longer bankrupt Dodgers.

- The winner of the Hiroyuki Nakajima posting sweepstakes apparently will be announced today. He is a SS who can play 2B as well; Toronto, San Francisco, and the Mets have all been reported by various outlets to have won the bidding rights.

Highlights from Day 3 thus far:

- Yankees win the posting bid for Nakajima ($2 M which is lower than I thought)

- Marlins to sign Mark Buerhle to a 4 year, $58 M deal. They're still in on Wilson too which is insane.

- Jays lost a pair of relievers to the Mets (late last night) in Jon Rauch ($3.5 M + bonuses) and Frank Francisco (2 years, $12 M). The closing market right now? :1vomit:

- Another Japanese position player, OF Norichika Aoka, will be posted next week. Still not the one everyone's waiting for of course.

- There were a few other smaller signings/re-signings.

The arbitration deadline is mere hours away. Most will decline but it seems David Ortiz and Kelly Johnson won't; there are rumblings Francisco Rodriguez will accept as well and get $10+ million to be a set up guy. The Rule 5 draft is tomorrow so watch for some small transactions tonight as teams try to free up a roster spot.

Pujols leaves St. Louis for the Angels, signing a 10 year, $254 million deal with a full NTC. C.J. Wilson leaves Texas...for the Angels as well. He gets 5 and $77.5 M. Florida (10/275, 6/100+) had the high offers on both of them interestingly enough. Prince Fielder is the lone 'big' MLB free agent left on the market now.

3 players accepted arbitration last night, Kelly Johnson, David Ortiz, and Francisco Rodriguez. Only the latter is a little surprising as he won't be closing with the Brewers but it's hard to turn down as much as he'll get.

The other big announcement before the meetings ended was that officially, Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish will be posted at some point. Think what it cost for Matzuzaka and go up from there.

Pujols leaves St. Louis for the Angels, signing a 10 year, $254 million deal with a full NTC. C.J. Wilson leaves Texas...for the Angels as well. He gets 5 and $77.5 M. Florida (10/275, 6/100+) had the high offers on both of them interestingly enough. Prince Fielder is the lone 'big' MLB free agent left on the market now.

Emphasis on big?

Big trade yesterday with the Reds getting Mat Latos for a package involving Edinson Volquez and some young (but decent upside) prospects. Admittedly, I'm not too familiar with Latos but looking at his numbers, they don't look ace-worthy which is what everyone's touting. He's young and has a lot of team control left which is what entices them, I'm sure.

The posting period for Yu Darvish has come and gone but MLB has decided to drag out the official announcement of who won until Tuesday. The consensus is that the Blue Jays won while the speculation is that there are some questions about the seriousness of Toronto's bid, whether it's legit or if it was just to stop a rival from getting him. The winning bid was in Matsuzaka territory.

Looks like the Jays are going to be irrelevant for yet another year. We keep hearing how smart AA is and how he has developed the farm system but unless that plays out on the field, we are just getting the same dribble we got from the previous GM. Another fourth or fifth place finish isn't going to play.

I hope the jays get feilder but they won't he is 27 and can blast plus he would put some asses in the seats. they are giving up nothing as well and he fits the age group on the team so they can build a core group for years to come. if he batted 2nd 3rd or 4th wow. and get a number two starter or third they would make a very good run at it.

Fielder is a Scott Boras client. That alone is enough reason to expect the Jays won't actively be pursuing him. Plus, he's still insisting on a 10 year deal - it was nuts for Pujols and it's nuts for him too. They missed out on Darvish (I'd be curious to see how close their bid was...anyone else monitor the chatter after the Hab game last night for the results?) but there are still options out there. I think there's at least one significant deal to come from Toronto (probably for a starter) and probably a bullpen signing on a 1 year deal. Anthopoulos has suggested he'd like Janssen in a 7th inning role which means a set up guy is probably being looked at.

Fielder is a Scott Boras client. That alone is enough reason to expect the Jays won't actively be pursuing him. Plus, he's still insisting on a 10 year deal - it was nuts for Pujols and it's nuts for him too. They missed out on Darvish (I'd be curious to see how close their bid was...anyone else monitor the chatter after the Hab game last night for the results?) but there are still options out there. I think there's at least one significant deal to come from Toronto (probably for a starter) and probably a bullpen signing on a 1 year deal. Anthopoulos has suggested he'd like Janssen in a 7th inning role which means a set up guy is probably being looked at.

Jays were apparently within 600k of the winning bid.