Mar. 4, Habs vs Ducks, 10 PM

dlbalr

Again, this team looks too small and too soft...Gallagher and Desharnais looked so incredibly useless against the bigger/stronger Ducks it was ridiculous. Our D were pushed all over the place too. Aggravating game to watch.

March is where play off type hockey starts to show it self. Say by to DD.

Said it a hundred times..............unwise to have two smurfs on one line, especially the first line and (powerplay).

March is where play off type hockey starts to show it self. Say by to DD.

Said it a hundred times..............unwise to have two smurfs on one line, especially the first line and (powerplay).

I'm of the same frame of mind. Let's hope were proven wrong. I hope that a poor playoff will spur bergevin to shake things up.

Not to get too far ahead, but I'd like to see Eller, Emelin, Desharnais (he's good but not a fit for the Habs ideal IMO) PAP (of course), Gilbert all in different jerseys.

Before I get flamed I like our 87 points very much, but see problems still.

Ideally Galchenyuk steps up to take first line Center, we net another top 9 Center in trades free agency, or potentially one of Hudon/mccarron will be ready for 3rd centre or JDLR stays and Hudon/mccarron slot to wing. Plex stays as 2nd. In the trades we net a first line RW (difficult and prospects will be given up) which is sorely needed, and Gallagher can fall into his proper place as a 2nd liner.

Out back, we have subban Markov bealieu, resign petry if the price is right in top 4, not sure about bottom pairing. Pateryn/Tinordi hopefully ready for at least 7th defenseman.

Our goaltending situation is just hopeless. ;)

The top RW position is the biggest need IMO

I'm of the same frame of mind. Let's hope were proven wrong. I hope that a poor playoff will spur bergevin to shake things up.

Not to get too far ahead, but I'd like to see Eller, Emelin, Desharnais (he's good but not a fit for the Habs ideal IMO) PAP (of course), Gilbert all in different jerseys.

Before I get flamed I like our 87 points very much, but see problems still.

Ideally Galchenyuk steps up to take first line Center, we net another top 9 Center in trades free agency, or potentially one of Hudon/mccarron will be ready for 3rd centre or JDLR stays and Hudon/mccarron slot to wing. Plex stays as 2nd. In the trades we net a first line RW (difficult and prospects will be given up) which is sorely needed, and Gallagher can fall into his proper place as a 2nd liner.

Out back, we have subban Markov bealieu, resign petry if the price is right in top 4, not sure about bottom pairing. Pateryn/Tinordi hopefully ready for at least 7th defenseman.

Our goaltending situation is just hopeless. ;)

The top RW position is the biggest need IMO

Great post!

just a great game guys. Where the hell is that sarcasm thingy?

Somehow the emoticon folder can no longer be added to so I couldn't add it. I've asked our developer to look at it but the new main site is taking the priority right now.

Well, no winning streak for me and my GDT's, someone else can try their luck today.

Sekac did well with all of 8minutes of 4th line icetime.

Pelly had 4 shots and 3 hits.

Flynn 7 for 10 on faceoffs

delaRose & DD 17 for 43 on faceoffs

Beaulieu only 12+minutes (Gilbert 20?)

Max had 8 shots

Habs outhit and outshot the mighty Ducks.

Great to see Galchenyuk hit 40point plateau.

Sekac did well with all of 8minutes of 4th line icetime.

Pelly had 4 shots and 3 hits.

Flynn 7 for 10 on faceoffs

delaRose & DD 17 for 43 on faceoffs

Beaulieu only 12+minutes (Gilbert 20?)

Max had 8 shots

Habs outhit and outshot the mighty Ducks.

Great to see Galchenyuk hit 40point plateau.

Notice those minutes from Gilbert over Gonch and NB too.

Chucky looked lost most of the night.

Ahhh, the smell of the Chicken Little piles of poop, the sky is not falling... :rastapop:

Always the same on the California road trip, and really overall the Habs weren't terrible, at least in the 1st and 3rd periods.

Agree with the posters about the size factor, but nothing can be done about it right now, Bergevin said it would take time to get big and fast, remember?

Just a little puck luck would have been nice last night...and you have to give credit to the Ducks a bit don't ya?

Bring on the Kings...

Reading through the comments on tsn you would think that the Habs season is all said and done. This game was a battle for first place in the entire nhl and Gibson played amazing, it happens. And I'm already sick of hearing how big of a mistake the DSP trade was because Sekac has 3 points In 5 games, good for him.

Definitely give credit to Ducks (and Sharks). Had to be careful though as Don gets out the sarcasm gun and takes aim if you put in print that an opposing team/player played well. Insecure little fan that he is. :thumbs_up:

Your right in eluding to MB. As he has stated more than once it will "take time to get big AND fast"

I did not dislike what i saw in the new fourth liners first game. MB and i on same page again ( :nuts: ) regarding "getting a real fourth line" of nhl vets as opposed to a variety of small, inexperienced Hamilton Bulldogs off the bus.

Reading through the comments on tsn you would think that the Habs season is all said and done. This game was a battle for first place in the entire nhl and Gibson played amazing, it happens. And I'm already sick of hearing how big of a mistake the DSP trade was because Sekac has 3 points In 5 games, good for him.

Yes that trade was made with play offs in mind by MB. Too early to give Ducks the win on that deal. After play offs substantial talks can begin. Gibson was good. No traffic in front, no rebounds, not tips. He made one nice glove save and too many shots were right in the bread basket. Ducks dictated the play of that game from the start. PK and Markov looked a tad on the tired side, and the tough sledding is just getting started. Bottom four need to play more. NB played 25 minutes against Blues and played great. 12 minutes last night. ??

The Ducks and the Sharks are big tough fast teams. We don't measure up well aginst them, and we don't do well aginst them. We get forechecked into the ice. We have speed but very few goal scorers, We are as always are 1 guy away from being a very good team. We need a sniper. We can win a lot of games against the run of the mill teams and we do but we are going to have a hard time in finals against a western team. Let's see how it goes tonite, maybe Le Genius and his magic blender will find the right combo to combat the Kings. I thought Gibson played good last night but I really think we made him look better than he is. We just don't have a lot of secondary scoring and haven't had for a while. We can win but we need everybody playing their best.

Guest Stogey24

Yes that trade was made with play offs in mind by MB. Too early to give Ducks the win on that deal. After play offs substantial talks can begin. Gibson was good. No traffic in front, no rebounds, not tips. He made one nice glove save and too many shots were right in the bread basket. Ducks dictated the play of that game from the start. PK and Markov looked a tad on the tired side, and the tough sledding is just getting started. Bottom four need to play more. NB played 25 minutes against Blues and played great. 12 minutes last night. ??

Therrien plays Gilbert like a number 4 D-man. Like wtf is going to take to get this guy in the presser.

Obviously we need a secondary scorer. Teams shut Max down and the goal scoring basically goes dry. The Petry signing to me was redundant. We need some weight on the back end and guy who can score up from. Either of those things were met at the deadline. Bergevin needs to be a little more aggressive at times. When does he build for the now? The guy pinches his pennies pretty hard IMO.

WTH was wrong with Pateryn anyway? He played physically,was up to speed, made the correct outlets, didn't take penalties,didn't try anything he's not capable of. Old man Gonchar comes back and looks awful..again! He's sucked since mid-January ffs

Personally I'm glad MB pinches his pennies rather than throw away the future or overpay for someone. And I don't know how much more aggressive you would like him to be, seems to me he isn't scared at all on pulling the trigger on a deal. Acquiring a top line winger would obviously cost alot and he felt that the price was too high in either assets to give or term left on that players deal. He has stayed numerous times that his strategy is to make the Canadiens a perennial contender for many years, so he is going to look past the current season for the remainder of his time here.

The Ducks and the Sharks are big tough fast teams. We don't measure up well aginst them, and we don't do well aginst them. We get forechecked into the ice. We have speed but very few goal scorers, We are as always are 1 guy away from being a very good team. We need a sniper. We can win a lot of games against the run of the mill teams and we do but we are going to have a hard time in finals against a western team. Let's see how it goes tonite, maybe Le Genius and his magic blender will find the right combo to combat the Kings. I thought Gibson played good last night but I really think we made him look better than he is. We just don't have a lot of secondary scoring and haven't had for a while. We can win but we need everybody playing their best.

'We get forchecked into the ice" "we can win alot of games against run of the mill teams"

I hear ya HR. In a one game winner take all, the cliche "anybody can beat anybody" is always applied when talking about ONE regular season game. Where you move on to another team with all the intangibles that go along with that regular season mentality. In that world Buffalo can beat Montreal, Edmonton can shut out the Bruins, The leafs can beat the Wings.

When must wins come up however, play off type hockey in March, then actual play off hockey....hard set in stone game plans are drawn up and carried out. Like you said "we can win but we will need everybody playing their best" Big physical, well coached , strategic teams can make that difficult. Love the habs passion and some of their players. But the lack of secondary scoring is not only a concern for us, it is what opposing teams will exploit and focus on. Not that difficult to shut down the likes of DD, BG, TP, AG, leaving little help for Pacs.

Teams wont be at a loss for a game plan on how to shut down the habs scoring in a seven game series. Thats no mosaic task as HR just eluded too. Gearing up to play the 015 Habs reminds me of the way teams geared up to play the 99 Sabres............it was all Hasek, they have trouble scoring.

Mb working on changing that, but not by next month obviously. Nobody giving scorers away. During Chuckys first year we thought we seen something there for the not too distant future. Fast forward to last night and he is a flanking wing with Tomas Plkenic and Dale Weiss. Got his fortieth point which puts him tied with Markov. I know he is young but seriously, nobody had expected his development to carry him past out scoring Markov by now?

That offensive threat we are looking for to take the focus off Pacs, (and compliment him) well he's not here yet. We ride into the play offs on Prices back and hope to win 2-1 every night.

Guest Stogey24

WTH was wrong with Pateryn anyway? He played physically,was up to speed, made the correct outlets, didn't take penalties,didn't try anything he's not capable of. Old man Gonchar comes back and looks awful..again! He's sucked since mid-January ffs

I'm not really sure what else they want from Patteryn really. He should be in the lineup

Personally I'm glad MB pinches his pennies rather than throw away the future or overpay for someone. And I don't know how much more aggressive you would like him to be, seems to me he isn't scared at all on pulling the trigger on a deal. Acquiring a top line winger would obviously cost alot and he felt that the price was too high in either assets to give or term left on that players deal. He has stayed numerous times that his strategy is to make the Canadiens a perennial contender for many years, so he is going to look past the current season for the remainder of his time here.

Think what he means is for MB to add at least one big name contributor to this team. Really make it his own. Third season for him, third play off coming up. The additions he has made have been impressive yes (weiss, gonchar, petry, prust etc) But the best players on the Montreal Candiens that carry his team, were all here before he signed on. He inherited them.

I'm not really sure what else they want from Patteryn really. He should be in the lineup

Patryn did everything you hope a young d would do when he came up. Except lie about his age and his years of experience. :nuts: If he was 29, just came from Florida or Columbus, had eight seasons under his belt and played the way he just did..............he would be out there every night.

Guest Stogey24

Patryn did everything you hope a young d would do when he came up. Except lie about his age and his years of experience. :nuts: If he was 29, just came from Florida or Columbus, had eight seasons under his belt and played the way he just did..............he would be out there every night.

We're on the same page with a lot of things my friend. That is the complete truth.

I agree with you. I just feel we're SO close to being that dominate team. Literally a couple players away from a scary team to play against

Yes to all of the above..except that maybe an opposing GM may have wanted one of our key players that MB was reluctant to trade. It would've been sweet to land a 1st line rw, but maybe he's already in the system and MB is willing to wait. Pretty sure our window of opportunity isn't quite here yet. Maybe next year. We'll still do something this post-season though..maybe 2-3 rounds

We're on the same page with a lot of things my friend. That is the complete truth.

I agree with you. I just feel we're SO close to being that dominate team. Literally a couple players away from a scary team to play against

Ditto.

Who's to say that Pateryn and Emelin won't be in the lineup more as the season winds down, and the playoffs begin, Tinordi too if he gets the nervous gone, and there are more injuries.

Gonchar and Gilbert in the pressbox would not hurt my feelings, even when Tinordi looked nervous, and he and Pateryn were in, to me the overall defense looked better.

It's hard to cycle against if you are on your ass, and those two kept the front of Price a lot clearer, and planted opposing forwards consistently...

In terms of secondary scoring, a little bit of "turn 'em loose" would create that extra goal or two, but Habs are built to play defense first, I am still confident heading down the stretch, that we are coming out of the Eastern conference, and heading for the finals...

Regarding Pateryn, he had to be sent down at the time that Flynn was acquired to remain in compliance with the 23-man roster limit which was in effect until 3:01 PM on Monday. If they were to bring him back now, they will burn one of their four allowable non-emergency recalls. These recalls have to last between now and whenever Hamilton's season (and hopefully, playoff run) ends. With seven defencemen already on the roster and an eighth to follow in a week or two in Emelin, it's not as if Pateryn was going to play much more if at all so why burn one recall for that? If their scoring drought continues, they may have to use one or two to pull a forward up from Hamilton (Andrighetto, Hudon, Carr, etc) so I imagine they'll try to save those for a while yet.