2014-15 Scoring Predictions

dlbalr

As is tradition, August is fantasy hockey month on the site where we profile numerous Habs from a fantasy perspective. One of the areas of focus obviously is their production. Here are the profiles we have so far (with still more to come):

Bourque

Desharnais

Eller

Emelin

Galchenyuk

Gallagher

Gilbert

Markov

Pacioretty

Parenteau

Plekanec

Price

Subban

Who will be the Habs' leading point getter this year? How far off (or close) do you think we are in our predictions so far? Make your predictions and projections...

It's very hard to predict for me since I feel Parenteau could make a huge difference.

This is a guy who keeps getting brushed aside because he's supposedly the product of more skilled players. Twice. First he was just siphoning off of John Tavares when he put up 53 and 67 points. Okay. Then he goes to Colorado and puts up 43 points in 48 games, once again being claimed to just getting his points by playing with Duchene.

Last season he is played a whole two minutes less on even strength per game compared to 2012-2013 and scores 33 points in 55 games. He also got taken off the Duchene line. It isn't as close to PPG as 43 in 48 but it's still quite decent. He deals with injury and never seeing eye to eye with Roy. Montreal wouldn't move him for Bourque and eventually moved him for Briere.

We're talking a guy who put with the right players can be a 0.8 PPG player. For perspective, only Vanek and Pacioretty were that for the Habs last season. Gallagher was a .51 PPG player. Imagine what adding .3 PPG to the top line could mean if Parenteau clicks with Patches and DD.

Avalanche fans were split on his departure, some saying he didn't give enough and others saying he didn't get enough credit. He's probably going to replace Brian Gionta for the Habs, and on a BAD season, Parenteau was still 0.1 PPG better than Gionta. Gionta had 18 goals in 81 games. Parenteau had 14 in 55.

Most importantly, Parenteau is a home ice player. He put up big points at home. Montreal struggled to score at home. If Parenteau can help ignite that? Our scoring goes up just by proxy of having Parenteau do his thing.

But that all depends on if Parenteau actually clicks on the Habs. If he doesn't? We're once again struggling on the wing. If he does? That means Pacioretty, DD, Plekanec, Parenteau, Gallagher and Galchenyuk will be definitive top six players with Eller and Bourque trying to prove they can be as well. Scoring will be plenty. Otherwise we might struggle again.

As is tradition, August is fantasy hockey month on the site where we profile numerous Habs from a fantasy perspective. One of the areas of focus obviously is their production. Here are the profiles we have so far (with still more to come):

Desharnais

Gallagher

Pacioretty

Parenteau

Plekanec

Price

Subban

Who will be the Habs' leading point getter this year? How far off (or close) do you think we are in our predictions so far? Make your predictions and projections...

August is the absolute worst month of the year isn't it? As far as hockey goes or doesn't.

August is the absolute worst month of the year isn't it? As far as hockey goes or doesn't.

It's hard to drum up much discussion, that's for sure. I like this series on the site, we can pretty much run something new every couple of days and it's something you can't find elsewhere. If this thread goes nowhere though, I may be forced to revive everyone's favourite trivia thread from last summer. :)

I think Deharnais can lead the Habs in scoring this season. Really liked MoLG's opinion and musings, and I think with a normal(not like last yr) start, I think DD can put up the points big time with Parenteau and Patches....

I think Deharnais can lead the Habs in scoring this season. Really liked MoLG's opinion and musings, and I think with a normal(not like last yr) start, I think DD can put up the points big time with Parenteau and Patches....

I expect big from That line too.

I expect Pacioretty to have a higher assist total and a lower goal total. Possibly a career year, 35 goals 35 assists

Parenteau? Hoping for 55 points.

Desharnais, maybe again a career year, because I think he's capable of 20 g 45 A

Who I expect the very most of, is PK Subban. 15 goals, 45-55 assists. He's got the contract, now he's gotta prove he's worth it.

It's hard not to be optimistic right now, I actually love the current roster. We are young, talented, and hey! Not a tiny team by any means. Briere and Gio for parenteau malholtra changed that dynamic.

A side question is who will be the biggest disappointment?

Ok, I'll get the ball rolling.

First line

#67-35/28/63

#52-16/43/59

PA-14/38/52

Second line

#14-21/25/46

#11-24/20/44

#27-23/30/53

Third line

#81-12/20/32

Bork-14/15/29

Weise-16/12/28

Fourth line

Who cares?

D men

#76-17/40/57

Wavy Gravy-(Gilbert) 8/28/36

General-7/29/36

Biggest disappointment-Bourque/Eller/Sekac

235 goals. Habs make another deadline splash to address the ongoing scoring issues. The total goals are at the NHL average. Habs get 2nd place in the East. Better possession and Price carry the weight.

Bourque with 15 assists? Not a chance.

3 years with Habs, 3 - 6 and - 7 assists

128 games as a Hab and 16 assists

maybe he gets 6goals and 3 assists by X-mas, before being scratched for good.

ok then how about the david desjarnais effect? the entire first line does squat in the playoffs?

Desharnais is coming along in the playoffs. I think playoff hockey is a process by which players have to get the experience before they produce.

Jumbo Joe was actually run out of Boston for his performance in the 2003-2004 playoffs. 7 games, 0 points. Captain Koivu ate his lunch and butt-ended him in his ribs afterwards.

Pacioretty is improving year after year. If he avoids the disastrous slumps he had this year, he could easily break 40 goals (he almost did last year.)

The thing with these predictions, is the performance of David Desharnais and P.A. Parenteau will be an echo of the year Pacioretty has. If any of them perform beyond previous highs, they all should. Even a guy like Parenteau could have a career year if Max and David get their stuff together early.

I like to be optimistic. Patches really looks to me like he will break the 40 goal mark someday, and he just turned 25. Let's make it this year.

Max Pacioretty - 41 goals, 30 assists, 71 points

David Desharnais - 15 goals, 48 assists, 63 points

P.A. Parenteau - 19 goals, 39 assists, 58 points

Subban will continue to improve. I expect that killer attitude to take him to new heights this year, too. With his shot and precision, let's say 20 goals. Assists I'm not going to bother calling.

Plekanec will get pushed further into a defensive shut-down role. I expect his points to drop reflecting this. This isn't a negative on his part, Plekanec at 40 points is still worth it for the ability to keep the other team from scoring in key situations.

I think Gallagher is already playing at his potential. We're not going to see any massive improvement or decline, he'll remain a steady pest on the ice.

Desharnais outplayed Bergeron in the playoffs but nobody likes to discuss that very much.

Because every GM everywhere would happily trade Desharnais for Bergeron, except the GM that has Bergeron.

Because every GM everywhere would happily trade Desharnais for Bergeron, except the GM that has Bergeron.

unless Mike Milbury or Gord Stellick get another job.

Pax - 41-29-70

PK - 18-38-56

DD -13-41-54

Plek -21-31-52

PAP -17-33-50

M79 - 7-37-44

G11 -21-22-43

G27 -17-26-43

Eller -15-22-37

G77 - 6-28-34

Sek - 13-19-32

W22 -12-15-27

BP8 -10-14-24

MM - 7-15-22

Nate - 2-16-18

Bork - 8-7-15

Price - 70gp 44-19-7

2.38 .933 8so

Pax - 41-29-70

PK - 18-38-56

DD -13-41-54

Plek -21-31-52

PAP -17-33-50

M79 - 7-37-44

G11 -21-22-43

G27 -17-26-43

Eller -15-22-37

G77 - 6-28-34

Sek - 13-19-32

W22 -12-15-27

BP8 -10-14-24

MM - 7-15-22

Nate - 2-16-18

Bork - 8-7-15

Price - 70gp 44-19-7

2.38 .933 8so

I like it. With 16 out of 21 skaters accounted for, you have 229 goals. That's 14 more than last year's total. I think we can count for at least another 11 goals out of Bournival, Weaver, Tinordi, Emelin, and Moen combined. 25 more goals than last year would easily put us at 112 points, even with the slightly higher goals against you predict (and better save percentage, too. The effect of losing Gorges?).

Josh Gorges is easily replaceable. anybody ever realize why he blocks so many shots? Incase you haven't noticed, it's because the opponent always has the puck when he's on the ice! the guy doesn't do anything special in particular. weaver plays a similar game, except that he isn't a turnover machine...and tom gilbert is a definite upgrade on jg as well. watch 'mr captain" get exposed in buffalo much like komisarik did in Toronto. I've always wanted a big badass physical defenseman and everytime I looked, it was jg that had to go. surely another cheerleader will emerge in the dressing room.

Gorges is a much, much better blueliner than Komisarek. Even when Komo was a Hab, he was all smoke and mirrors created by playing with Markov. Gorges showed better defensive ability in San Jose as a rookie than Komisarek did in his prime.

If Gorges gets exposed by anything it'll be because he's playing for the Buffalo Sabres.

Josh Gorges is easily replaceable. anybody ever realize why he blocks so many shots? Incase you haven't noticed, it's because the opponent always has the puck when he's on the ice! the guy doesn't do anything special in particular. weaver plays a similar game, except that he isn't a turnover machine...and tom gilbert is a definite upgrade on jg as well. watch 'mr captain" get exposed in buffalo much like komisarik did in Toronto. I've always wanted a big badass physical defenseman and everytime I looked, it was jg that had to go. surely another cheerleader will emerge in the dressing room.

Just trying to play Devil's advocate here. Many of those blocked shots by Gorges were coming off the PK. Just sayin'... Maybe he was blocking "more" shots because he wasn't moving and controlling the puck that well himself, but also because he was excellent at this. He was putting his body in front of anyone's shot, including Weber and Chara. There are 5 players on the ice, saying that the opponent always has the puck when HE is on the ice is 1. over shitting on an individual player and 2. taking all credit away from the opponent's play (let alone the fact that thoses opponents were4 very often top 2 lines from the other teams).

That being said, I might just prefer Tom Gilbert, but time will tell as I'm just not sold on him either just yet.

Will be weird to see Gorges play vs Habs.

Turnover machine, you are kidding? 29 of them all year. I will take that from any top-4 d-man.

Biggest spot he will be missed is on the PK (9th in NHL for PK icetime/game)

I like it. With 16 out of 21 skaters accounted for, you have 229 goals. That's 14 more than last year's total. I think we can count for at least another 11 goals out of Bournival, Weaver, Tinordi, Emelin, and Moen combined. 25 more goals than last year would easily put us at 112 points, even with the slightly higher goals against you predict (and better save percentage, too. The effect of losing Gorges?).

Minus Gorges, Emelin playing L, Gilbert a better puck mover, and Beaulieu picking up slack. The transition game is going to be much smoother. Malhotra is going to add to possession times and directly increase PK potency/efficiency. Better balanced lines with a variety of mix n match top 9 possibilities.

I never understood all of the Gorges' love. He contributed nothing to the offense. Every time he had the puck at the point, he dumped the puck into the same corner. Every damned time!!!

He averaged .18 points per game not nearly enough for a top-4 defensemen. Unlike Emelin, or even Murray, he didn't bring a physical element.

For those who care about fancy stats, he was no prized pig there either. He was a loser, but he was "our loser." That's the extent of the logic behind the Gorges' Craze. He was white bread. To think that some wanted that wet noodle to be the Captain...