Gonchar in, Moen out!

revvvrob

and dd was given a lot of time, patience and support from the coaching staff (and fans) whe he was trying to make his way. Beaulieu deserves the same.

was it not just last season when dd had one assist in the first 20 games.

easy on NB .....he is allowed to have an early career point slump.........

That's not exactly true. Last year, DD was given a long rope when he sucked, that was it. Few predicted that in 2011-2012 DD would even be a center, nevermind a first line center. He earned his way into ice-time by having a spectacular year between Cole and Pacioretty. If you have results and chemistry with other players, that's when you can have 15-20 bad games and get a break. Not streaky players (Eller) or newcomers who don't look out of place. (Beaulieu).

DD was given just as much of a chance as we gave guys like Dumont and Leblanc when he first came up and he seized it. He supplanted Gomez back then. Every game we wondered when they would send the kid down. Instead he went from third line to top line.

Everything else is revisionism to slag DD.

DD was given just as much of a chance as we gave guys like Dumont and Leblanc when he first came up and he seized it. He supplanted Gomez back then. Every game we wondered when they would send the kid down. Instead he went from third line to top line.

And back then Pacioretty let all know he was big fan of DDs' play as his centre.

• Upvote 1

"David Desharnais is the latest smurf to find work in Montreal." - Jack Edwards

DD has done his job and done it well. Yeah he had a long slump, can we get over that? He works hard every night never seen him take a night off. And make patches look so goood. Let's quit picking on the little guy, it is really unfair, I have done it but I can't anymore. He deserves our respect. :habslogo:

• Upvote 1

That's so true.... I have been in favour of replacing DD as the #1 center, but it's just not that easy to find one any better, or works harder, that won't cost an arm and a leg.

DD has earned his keep, and earns it as much or more than anyone, he wins battles, and works hard, and is tough as nails with not much for injuries...

Money well spent by Bergevin.

• Upvote 1

That's so true.... I have been in favour of replacing DD as the #1 center, but it's just not that easy to find one any better, or works harder, that won't cost an arm and a leg.

DD has earned his keep, and earns it as much or more than anyone, he wins battles, and works hard, and is tough as nails with not much for injuries...

Money well spent by Bergevin.

I used to have the mindset that Desharnais and Eller were like breaking a number one center apart. At $7M you could get a number one center like Spezza but then you'd be sacrificing what you could get as your third line center. DD and Eller together make $7M and put up numbers like a number one center but they split it between the first and third lines. It isn't an ideal situation but it works. Or at least it works when trying to justify it. It would be great if either would break out into a legit number one center and put up 60-80 points all by themselves at only $3.5M but that's fantasy thinking.

DD has done his job and done it well. Yeah he had a long slump, can we get over that? He works hard every night never seen him take a night off. And make patches look so goood. Let's quit picking on the little guy, it is really unfair, I have done it but I can't anymore. He deserves our respect. :habslogo:

Well said. Sold.

I used to have the mindset that Desharnais and Eller were like breaking a number one center apart. At $7M you could get a number one center like Spezza but then you'd be sacrificing what you could get as your third line center. DD and Eller together make $7M and put up numbers like a number one center but they split it between the first and third lines. It isn't an ideal situation but it works. Or at least it works when trying to justify it. It would be great if either would break out into a legit number one center and put up 60-80 points all by themselves at only $3.5M but that's fantasy thinking.

Desharnais had 60 points three years ago, and came close to 60 point (or equivalent) seasons the last two years. He basically averages out to 55 points a year, though. He's slightly under that 60-80 point range you want him to hit. He could easily hit 60 again, but i doubt he'll ever hit 70. He's either an excellent second line centre, or a weak first line centre.

Fortunately we don't have a first line, really. We roll three even lines...and Desharnais is almost as good as one can hope for in that setup. What we want is 50-60 points each out of Desharnais, Eller, and Plekanec. Desharnais and Plekanec will product that. Eller ... I hope he produces that. Of course, Galchenyuk could catch fire, take the centre spot and give us our first true first line centre since Koivu's 75 point season in 2007/8. Not that that helped us much...

and dallas could not wait to get rid of him, he was traded for travis moen who was on the fifth line in montreal, providing dallas pay some of his salary. hmm sounds like i am not the only one who thinks he is worth just more than a bag of pucks.

Did i see him play, do remember him stinking the joint out against the habs in 7 game series in 2010. actually was the goat on two goals in game 7. one ironically scored by travis moen. Pens dumped him right after that series. Also watched him live against the Leafs when he played for Ottawa, thought he had one skate in retirement then. Did he get better since turning forty.....i doubt it.

and like yourself i pushed a few buttons and looked up his stats.

does that answer your question.

since your asking me can you tell me of the time you saw him play..............or are you are lap top stats fan only?

i don't normally fuel these types of fires but what the hey its been a while....

* with dallas sitting last in the west and an abysmal PK to boot, did you ever wonder that maybe moving forward they looked to shed salary this season while addressing the PK for next season as well.. gonchar has a hefty salary that most teams could not absorb.

** i asked if you had seen him play in the 3 only games he played this season for Dallas because i didn't (not 4 seasons ago) but...

***good defensmen make mistakes and sometimes break down, usually mistakes by defenders result in goals. i do recall him flat footed on the blue line while moen skated by and beat fleury with a routine wrister from the dot.. who could forget that master card commercial.... but

**if you break that play down just a little more you'll see that with the score 3-0 already for montreal, kunitz had a horrible giveaway handing the puck directly to moen already skating hard and catching gonchar flat footed at his blue line... with gonchar retreating backwards the speed of moen was to much for gonchar. with a full 1 on 3 and no trailing forwards as separation between moen and his teammates was substantial, letang started to double up on moen, and with kunitz back checking heavy after the horrible give away you can see why gonchar passed him zonely considering the help he had from 2 teammates... fortunately for us gonchar didn't even get a hand on moen to slow him down and he was able to essentially put the game away. gonchar's fault?? of course he should of tried to interfere but while on the PP and down 3-0. he probably didn't want to risk a even up call and cancel out a chance to re -open the game on the PP.... soft play for sure. but for every soft play from gonchar you also get this...

or this

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=536179

and most recently this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=151O4bIRMGE

****if stinking in a 7 game series means scoring 2 goals adding 4 assists for 6 points in 7 games then man i wished subban had that kind of bad series against the rangers last year.

12 pts in 13 playoff games +4 to go with his 50pts in 62 games in 2010!!! you really think pitts wanted to dump him following a season like that??

**** he signed a mammoth 3 year contract as a UFA with OTT earning every penny at such an advanced age due to his huge contribution with the pens over all seasons. the pens actually wanted to resign him but they couldn't fit his salary......

*****must of been an interesting game that LEAFS/ OTT game live, wondering if you were there to watch your favourite team that can do no wrong un like are constantly stumbling habs??

with that said, i don't own a lap top, however, i consistently use sound facts and stats to back up my analyzation and opinions as to not look foolish when voicing my opinion to others.. there is a reason i rarely post but enjoy reading these threads in its entirety for good commentary and others insight to further my knowledge on the habs...

as a heart and soul hockey guy... i seem to watch to much hockey, my wife is constantly busting them.. i also have actually watched a bunch of ott games with gonchar in the line up... maybe thats why i knew this acquisition was gonna help instantly!

seems my pre-assessment is a little more bang on with gonchar then yours even if its only over his first 3 games!!

its why i wanted jagr over the last like 4 seasons... these kind of guys are exceptions to there age... all-time greats at what they do... they can only help!

• Upvote 1

Of course, Galchenyuk could catch fire, take the centre spot and give us our first true first line centre since Koivu's 75 point season in 2007/8. Not that that helped us much...

Koivu's 06/07 season landed him 17th overall for centers in scoring.

Plekanec's 09/10 season with 70 points landed him 14th overall for centers in scoring.

I'd say that was the last "true first line center" season for the Habs.

(That said, Desharnais in 11-12 was 21st among all centers with 60 points. One should always look at how the rest of the league is scoring that year and compare.)

People are hung up too much on line numbers. If the Habs have three lines going, they're unstoppable. If they have two lines going, they rely on Price. If they only have one line going a la the Two and a Half Men line from 2011-2012, they're a lottery team.

A team built to roll three lines goes through highs and lows. There is something to be said about a Benn-Seguin-Spezza line that produces every game without pause or second thought, but teams built around one line or one center are hard up to win in the salary cap world.

Not sure the recipe for mixture of top 9 forwards has changed much, but if can toss in 2-or-3 all stars you will likely do quite well.

Habs have one all-star forward in Pacioretty and no other forward is in top 50 in scoring, not a good recipe if didnt have Carey Price.

People are hung up too much on line numbers. If the Habs have three lines going, they're unstoppable. If they have two lines going, they rely on Price. If they only have one line going a la the Two and a Half Men line from 2011-2012, they're a lottery team.

A team built to roll three lines goes through highs and lows. There is something to be said about a Benn-Seguin-Spezza line that produces every game without pause or second thought, but teams built around one line or one center are hard up to win in the salary cap world.

Hells yeah! Quality post... short but sweet